Ovarian Cysts Community
What does this mean for me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

What does this mean for me?

I am 42 years old and have been having  pain in my left side for some time now apprx 2 yrs.  The pain has gotten worse and more frequent and my ankles and feet are swelling.  I went to the doctor he order a transvaginal ultra sound and the results are as follows

Transvaginal ultrasound of the pelvis: Several nabothian cysts are present at the cervix measuring up to 9 mm. there is an approximately 2.5x2.4x1.9 cm oval mass at the anterior body of uterus slightly to the left of midline, most consistent with a utrine fibroid.  The uterus otherwise, shows no significant abnormality.  Endometrial stripe is not well seen, however, no intrauterine fluid collection is identified in the uterus has and otherwise normal sonographic appearance.

Right ovary is not well demonstrated, but measures approximately 4/8x4/2x3/2-cm.  doppler arterial flow is demontrated in the right ovary/adnexa. No gross right ovarian mass is seen.

Left ovary measures approx. 3.3x2.8x2.5 cm, and contains a 1.7-cm hypoechoic nodule in addition to a 1.2 and 0.9 cm cyst.  doppler arterial flow is demonstrated in the left ovary.

conclusion:
2.5 cm myometrial uterine fibroid.

Nabothian cysts are noted at the cervix.

1.7 cm hypoechoic mass at the left ovary is nonspecific. A hemorrhagic cyst is possible. A solid mass/neoplasm is not excluded.

Small left ovarian cyst, likely functional cysts.

I went on Monday to a gyn and for whatever reason the results of this ultra sound were not sent to him like they should have been.  I have been on pins and needles since I had this test ran on Oct 16, it is now one month later and still don't really know what this means since the doctor had not seen results to tell me.  I went yesterday to doctors office for results to take to the gyn.  Please explain what this is saying.

My Dad (65)passed in Jan 09 lung cancer, My sister (43) passed June  09 ovarian, cervix, intestine, colon, liver you name it she was covered with cancer she was in stage 4 liver before she was ever diagnosed with anything.  I'm not sure they ever figured out the origanal starting point.  My mother(62) was diagnosed with Multiple Myloma the day my sister passed and is now in chemo treatments.  I can keep going and going with the history of cancer in my family, my dads mom(70's) and sister (40's) both died of ovarian cancer, his dad (70's)of prostate, his brother(30's) of lung.  He has two other brothers(60's) that have so far survived prostate cancer.  My mom's side I have a second cousin and her mother with breast.

I'm totally FREAKED!  Please shed some light on this test for me.
Nabothian cysts are not a serious issue.  Fibroids are very common but I would want verification to ensure that is what it is.  Yes, the one cyst could be suspicious but your chances of ovarian cancer are quite small - over 95% of all cysts are benign.  It is urgent that this get dealt with and ovarian cancer ruled out.  Your family history dictates even more urgency.  Find a way to insist on an appointment ASAP with your gyn or another if required.  Can your GP assist in moving things along?  Can he order a CA-125 test (not entirely reliable but is something that will likely be tested anyway before moving forward) for you?  Do you have an appointment yet?