What happens after surgery
I recently (Jan 30th) had a "Laparoscopic Ovarian Cystectomy" done on me that took not only the cyst (which was the size of a baby melon), but also my ovary and fallopian tube. I just started my period today and I am a little curious as what happens.Meaning, will the pain be so intense that I will be in tears? Is the ovary I do have going to be doing a lot of work?? How long do periods usual last with only one ovary? I'm new at this and I'm a little nervous.
I did not really notice a change in my cycles with one ovary vs two. They got a little closer together I guess, but they had been doing that gradually for the past 10 yrs anyway, so that wasn't really that different.  I think my PMS may be a little worse now with 1 ov, but hard to say for sure if it isn't just stress or whatnot.  It shouldn't cause huge changes...your 1 ovary does a good job compensating for the missing one.
Yes, your cycle should stay the same as before beacuse your remaining ovary will 'pick up the slack' and compensate for your removed ovary. The first few periods after a lap can sometimes be a bit heavier than usual . Also, you may get some mid cycle pain when you ovulate for your next few cycles if your gyn had a look inside your remaining ovary during the op. Hope this helps. Best wishes for your recovery