Ovarian Cysts Community
Worried about the large cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Worried about the large cyst

This past Saturday I woke up with mild stomach bloating/discomfort. I massaged my stomach and felt this large mass. I have never noticed anything like that in my stomach. I did, however feel like I need to pee way more often than usual in the past two months. So I went to the Dr on Monday and had ultrasound done. They found a 16 cm cyst/mass on my right ovary. I have always had cysts on my ovaries but small ones and they never gave me any trouble. Today I saw a gynecologist and he referred me to the gyn/oncologist for further testing. I was told that my cyst is very large, has some fluid but also some tissue. They also discovered some vascular activity but very slight. I am horrified!!! 17 months ago I had a set of twins and I have two other kids. I cannot imagine not being there for my babies :-( I am so worried because my appointment isn't until Good Friday and I just want this thing out of me. Please write and help me through this hard time of waiting. I can't sleep and don't know what to do with myself when I am awake. I am so scared. I can't believe that after so many ultrasounds during my pregnancy this thing never came up in any of them. I also worry what if this mass grew so fast that not even I noticed it until now :-( Help!!!
I understand the shock of finding something like this out. He seems like he is sending you to an onc/gyno because of the type of cyst. Most cysts are 99% benign. Did it say what type of cyst it was? Endometrioma? Complex? solid? Dermoid? Did he give you the Ultrasound report paperwork?

Mine grew alot after the birth of my daughter.

Nope he didn't say a thing. I almost feel like they are hiding something from me. He explained the kind of things that they look at when they determine if a cyst is dangerous to the woman's health and he confirmed that the kind I have has to be removed. Then he explained that the next step is consultation with the onc/gyno and they will walk me through the process. I haven't done any tests except ultrasound. I wish I didn't have to wait another week for my appointment :-(
I guess it is good you are going soon. Usually if they send you to an ONC they are thinking it is cancer not that it is, they are just being safe just in case. 16cm is big that is why it has to be removed. I think its anything over 5cm if its symptomatic. It would help if you knew more about what is on the report as to the "why's" Try not to worry as I know its hard.

Please keep me updated.
Good luck with your appointment today