Ovarian Cysts Community
adnexal cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

adnexal cyst

After symptoms ranging from diarrha and considerable flank and leg pain, a CT scan revealed an adnexal cyst measuring 6.4 x 2.2 x 2.6 centimeters.  I meet with my OBGYN on Monday.  I am postmenapausal - age 56.  Also, I showed blood in my urine (microscopic only).  What are the chances that this could be cancer?  What should I expect that the doctor (OBGYN) will recommend?  Ultrasound, biopsy, laproscopy?

Thanks.

Patti
You might want to read in the ovarian cancer forum for general information.  From what I've read, less than 3-5% of ovarian cysts are malignant.  Age is a factor (more cancer as we get older), as is having had children (less cancer if you've had kids), and maybe being on birth control for some time?  My cyst was discovered in an ultrasound, not a CT scan; did they say if it's complex or septated?  SInce you're postmenopausal, it can't be a functional cyst, which I think means it won't go away on its own.  So they likely will remove it, and check it for malignancy.  My operating room nurse friend says they can remove even large cysts laparascopically (wow, I still don't know how to spell that), and my doc said if it's more than 5 cm they don't watch and wait they just remove it.  From forum reading, it seems everyone is different and so are their doctors/surgeons!

The most important thing to remember is that even at our age, cysts are still 95% benign.. Having said that, it is true that removal is probably going to be the best choice for you.

A TVUS (transvaginal ultra sound) is probably the next course of action for you. Some Drs. feel it is a better diagnostic tool than the CT scan. The only way for a biopsy to be done is through a laparoscopic procedure or laparotomy . As the above poster said, it will be up to you and your Dr. to determine the best course of action. Do try not to worry though. I'm not sure that the blood in urine is relative to the cyst or not. I've not heard of this being a common denominator, but again, everyone is different

Let us know how your next appt goes..