adnexal thickening
Background:  Age 49, pre-menopausal, married 25 years with 4 children ages 9-16, diagnosed this past year with mild iron-deficiency anemia but otherwise quite healthy.  The typical causes of anemia (heavy menses, GI problems) have been ruled out.  Never any gyne problems.  

Question:  Dr. noted an ovarian thickening and found adnexal tenderness during routine pelvic exam.  I'm being referred for a complete pelvic ultrasound.  Am I really that high risk for something important like ovarian cancer?  How important is it to get this checked out vs. watchful waiting?  Could a cyst (or something) be causing the anemia?
sorry it occurs to me that I chose words poorly in my message.  I am so new to all of this that I put any diagnosis - cancer, cysts, fibroids, etc - in the "important" category.  They are all the same to me at this point.  Is there something there or is this "just another test?"  sometimes it seems I am auditioning for the next season premier of "medical mysteries" on cable tv.
The heavy mensus could be the cause of the anemia.  It's not uncommon to be anemic during the reproductive years.  

It's quite possible a cyst is present.  That can also affect the mensus.  Don't go thinking about ovarian cancer so quickly.  Cysts are the much more common problem for women.

Or it could be a hemmorahgic cyst (bleeding).  Most of the time they are harmless and remedy themselves, but on rarer occasions they bleed too much and need removal.  An ultrasound would see if blood/fluid is present.

It's only guesswork until you get the ultrasound, so don't work yourself up worrying.  I'm one to talk.....I reacted the same way, as do most of us.  Many of us get very scared and are later relieved to find it was a benign problem.