Ovarian Cysts Community
burst ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

burst ovarian cysts

On monday night I arrived home and rushed to the bathroom because I felt I had to pee very urgently however basically nothing came out and a couple minutes later I had very intense stabbing abdominal and pelvic pain. Pain so intense I was laying on the floor for nearly 30 minutes unable to move or reach my cellphone to call for help. I would compare the pain to labor pain even though I have never been pregnant thats how I imagine it. Eventually the pain subsided for a moment and I called 911. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital. I received substandard care to say the least. They took more than 4 hours to examine me. The doctor said I would get an ultrasound but that was a lie, I only got an abdominal cat scan. They did give me pain meds, a shot of morphine, but when the nurse came back over an hour later to give me more pain meds, she said "oh, I am not sure which one i am supposed to give you and took off and never came back, so I am assuming there was a theft of narcotics while I was there, because another nurse came in with a syringe and then looked at me then left the room. Weird. So the doctor finally told me the results of the cat scan at 2am. He said oh theres nothing on the cat scan, but you do have abdominal fluid caused by burst ovarian cysts. He wouldnt give me any other info other than to say its no big deal and walked out. So I am left wondering, what next? The nurse wasn't any help either because she said she didnt know what that meant and maybe if she had extra time later she would google it. I was released at 2:30am barely able to walk and still screaming in pain. I have been resting in bed at home not taking any meds because the pain meds do not help and I was not given any antibiotics. It is now Thursday and I am still having intermittent pains in my ovaries and I have pain in my ovaries every time I have to pee. Is this normal? How would I know if the ovarian cysts are cancerous or what complications burst ovarian cysts cause? I would appreciate anybody's input....
So sorry about your horrid ER experience. It is not the first time that I have read of such unacceptable treatment of women with cysts in the ER.

If the cysts were fluid filled, then the body will reabsorb the fluid over time and it should mean no permanent damage. Most cysts are not cancer. Do you have a gynecologist? A proper follow up exam would be a good idea to make sure it does not develop into an infection and to see if this really was a cyst rupture and that no additional cysts are still present causing torsion, especially since the pain you described is so severe. Although larger cyst ruptures can be very painful.

I never experienced a cyst rupture myself. The quantity of fluid released seems to contribute to the degree of pain. But for cysts that have not ruptured, pain is caused by pressure on other organs, nerves or worse...the cyst can weigh down and twist the tube/ovary. This twist (torsion) is unbearably painful, untreatable with pain killers and dangerous (ovary/ tube cell death).
Thanks so much for your helpful information. I do believe that there must have been a bit of fluid because my abdomen was so bloated on the night of the rupture. It is still a bit bloated and I have a lot of abdominal gas, which I don't know is normal, accompanied with back pain (for 3 months) and thigh pain since Monday. I am going to see a gynecologist soon ( I don't have one yet). I have been so preoccupied with my other medical problems (multiple sclerosis) that I have put my female problems on hold for way too long (extremely heavy and mostly painful periods). It is now time to confront the other problems.