Ovarian Cysts Community
can birth control shrink a ovarian cyst...???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I went to the emergency room a few nites ago from having pain in my lower left abdomen... I was told I have a cyst on my left ovary that's 2.3cm... My dude and I have been trying to have a baby for 3months... Can we get pregnant...??? Also what can I do to stop the pain...??? Im in pain everyday and I haven't had a normal period since January... What can I do without having surgery...??? All advice is welcome...
How funny...I just posted to you on your other post and mentioned birth control pills.  Obviously, that won't be your choice if you are trying to conceive.  But, yes...they do often help shrink a cyst.   Cysts usually do not interfere with pregnancy.  But, if yours is complex (has solid parts), then you may want to be sure it is resolving before conceiving.  Although most complex aren't cancerous, they do sometimes require surgery.  Ask your doctor if it is simple or complex before trying to conceive.    

It may a be a case where you do try bc pills for a short period of time to help the cyst shrink and wait a bit longer before trying to conceive.  Most cysts do go away on their own in time...especially if they are simple (fluid filled) cysts.  Check with your doctor if he thinks it is ok to take ibuprofen on a regular schedule (every 6 hours during waking hours).  These meds are ant-inflammatory and often help with cyst pain.  They work best when taken regularly and can build up in your system.  You want to make sure your doctor thinks this is ok though.  

Other than that, it will be a waiting game.  Time is the best healer.  I have had cysts my whole life and I had two healthy kids after having many years of cysts.  So, please try not to worry.  

Take care,

Shelly
I had a cyst on my ovary about 15 years ago.  Yes the birth control pills will shrink it.  I had to take them too.  Yes, you will be able to get pregnant after the cyst has gone away.  I have two children ages 5 and 5 months.  Maybe a doctor can give you a hormone shot to help get rid of it.  That's what they gave me.  You can try massaging the area to help with the pain or taking a pain reliever.  
I know you have your heart set on having a child at this point in your life.  I know it it hard to postpone it, but everything will work it self out and you will have children.  What did the doctor recommend?  
HOPESHELL it's funny I saw that... I have another quick question I just started a blood flow Thursday nite found it odd because outta no where I started bleeding... I saw many clots but I had a few that were pretty huge n size... One was a Lil bigger then a quarter the other was big as a $1 coin... Kinda weird... But as soon as I go to the Dr I will keep u posted...

ATHENA that's funny u have my name lol... We have children just only one together and we want to do the whole process together... We had circumstances that we couldn't before... When I do go back to the drs I will keep u posted as well...

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE ADVICE...
The clots are very common with cysts.  That was a symptom that I had.  It is strange.  I will be anxious to hear your update after the doctor.

Take care,

Shelly