Ovarian Cysts Community
can i go back to work after 1 week?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

can i go back to work after 1 week?

I am a 2nd grade teacher and have to be pretty active at work. I was dismissed from the hospital with a note saying I could return to work  in 1-2 days after laproscopic surgery to remove a large cyst and my right ovary, however I took one week sick leave because I did not feel I could return so quickly. I am supposed to go back on Monday but am still walking slowly and can't do much should I take some more time off or what things should I avoide doing îf I return?
Everyone will tell you that recovery depends on the person, blahblahblah... so it is hard to tell when one will feel better. I have worked with kids, and I think you should probably take more time off considering how active the job is. It is better to ask for more time off in advance, and keep in mind that the way you feel at home is going to be better than the way you feel at work. I have decided that I will take a day of light errands before committing to work, kind of as a test.
I know it is hard to manage work during this process, I had a similar surgery 2 weeks and 2 days ago, and I am still walking slowly, and have to do things like pick up the house in 5 minute blocks of time.
Good luck!
TWO WEEKS minimum is what most women require to recover. If that cannot be accommodated then definitely no heavy lifting, pushing or pulling. And you might need to take a nap instead of whatever else you do during lunch. Bring a pillow to hold to you tummy when it gets sore. After being upright for a few hours you will be both tired and sore and walking fast only makes it worse. You need to move slowly and have someone else carry stuff for you.
I couldnt imagine going back to work after a week. I know I felt a lot better at 2 weeks post laparoscopy, but it took a little longer to not be so tender for sure. Is there anyway you can get more time off? If not I would do what Michele says for sure. Cause I know I was still moving slowly and sore, sitting up for awhile certainly takes it out of you at first.
I had laprascopic surgery to remove the left ovary and cyst 2 weeks ago tomorrow.  I feel that I could return to work today, without having to lift anything heavy, however my doctor gave me 3 weeks off to recovery and my short term disability benefits approved for that.  I would take the time you need, and dont push yourself.
Thank you so much for your responses.  It really helped out alot, I decided to at least take a couple more days off.  My operation was Saturday, March 19.  I have my post op visit tomorrow and am supposed to return to work on Thursday.  I am feeling a little better, but it is still going to be a challenge to return to work.  I have started experiencing pain after I pee around my lowest incision area.  I have three incisions one in my belly button one on the left side and one on the right side closest to my "area", which is the one I'm guessing they took the cyst out of and has been the one giving the most pain.  The other two incisions are fine and I have almost no pain, but this one is constantly painful.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  THANKS!!

My surgery was 10 days before yours and I still have pain on the side that the cyst was taken out of. For the first time today, I was able to leave my house for 15 min, but I definitely felt the cramping much more. And I moved SLOW!
Hope your post op visit answered all your questions. I am glad you are feeling better. Don't push yourself though, pain could be your body telling you it needs more healing time :-).