Ovarian Cysts Community
can you know its cancer by CT scan or ultarsound ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I've now been to 2 GYN's that both believe that this is more likely then not cancer. Neither is willing to surgically remove the tumor. The last GYN (9-15-08) has referred me to OCN, still waiting on that appointment date. My question is are they just playing guessing game or can they tell from CT scan and ultrasound if it’s cancer? CA125 came back within normal range.having repeat ultrasound 9-18-08.  The reason for 2 GYN’s is I changed PCP.

ER REPORT 7/27/08
The left ovary is enlarged measuring 12.1 x 11.2 x 9.3 cm. A complex left ovary cyst is seen with septation and possible hypoechoic nodule. The cyst mass measures 8.8 x 9.7 x 8.5 cm.
No, they cannot tell from a CT scan or ultrasound if it is cancer or not (that is what I have read on this and the ovarian cancer forum).  They have to do an actual biopsy.  It does sound like your left ovary is large and so is the cyst.  That doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, but I would think that they would want to remove the cyst.  One step at a time, see what the repeat ultrasound shows and then take your reports to the gyn/onc once you get that appt. He will be more qualified to make a determination on what to do. Hopefully someone else with more experience will come along and answer too. Good luck!
Hi, lvfrogs is correct.  Only a biopsy will tell if it is cancerous or not.  You have actually gotten a lot accomplished in a short period of time.  You have 2 opinions, had a CA-125 and have gotten a referral to see a GYN/ONC.  

I know it's hard to do but try and not worry until your next doc appointment.  Hopefully they will be able to tell you more and make some kind of plan.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Just putting my 2 cents in.. to agree with above. No way to tell if it's malignant or not until surgery.. But I did want to add that 95% of all cysts are benign so really try not to worry. And, let us know

Take care,
Sandy