Ovarian Cysts Community
cessation of menstruation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

cessation of menstruation

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right category, but I thought I'd give it a try.  I am 27 years old, and for nearly a year now, my period has been almost non-existent.  It started last summer, and I realized that I'd gone a couple of months without my menstrual cycle.  I've never really kept very good track of that, and so I started paying closer attention.  Once I started documenting any activity, I noticed that usually around  the first of most months, I would have extremely light periods for 2-4 days, when, since my first period, I've been very regular, with periods always lasting from 6-8 days.  What could be the cause of this?  Some months I go without a period entirely, and when I do have one, it's ridiculously light.  I thought it could be pcos.  Does that sound reasonable?  
You never want to leave it at what you think it might be.  It could be caused by a thyroid problem or even a pituitary tumor.  There are multiple possibilities So go in there and get some testing done!  Get your thyroid function, FSH, prolactin, and LH tested and get yourself an pelvic ultrasound.
I agree with SurgiMenopause in that you need to see a doctor ASAP!  Has your activity level changed?  Have you had a major weight loss?  You really need to have some blood work done and a transvaginal ultrasound done to see what is going on in there.  Don't take this lightly.  It has been going on for WAY too long.  Good luck and please let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the responses.  I know I've been letting this go on for too long.  I've always had the mentality that the human body is an amazing self-righting machine, and that if you live clean (i.e. eat healthy and exercise regularly), most "issues" go away on their own.  I also feel like oftentimes, more harm than good is done at hospitals.  However, with that being said, I do feel like there may be an underlying problem that I need to get figured out.  I feel completely fine, and it's not like I miss having my period (cramps? no thank you).  But it does feel very odd to be without almost completely.  Anyway, again, thank you for the feedback.  I appreciate it.  Oh, and to fungirl1011, no, neither my activity nor my weight has changed.  
You're welcome!