Ovarian Cysts Community
complex cyst how do I know what type

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

complex cyst how do I know what type

I got my ultrasound report and it says I have complex ovarian cyst on right ovary.  I am reading about the types online but it is not stated what it is on the ultrasound report.  How do I find out.  Why wasn't it on the report?
Unfortunately, there is not a way to know the type until you have surgery.  An ultrasound won't tell you much about a cyst except its size and if it is simple (fluid filled) or complex (has solid parts).  A MRI or CT are usually better able to determine the possiblities between the types.  But, that is often only narrowed down to two or three choices.   Dermoids are easier to identify because they have fat, hair or teeth which can be seen on the scans.  Other types, including most ovca tumors, are less clear because both bengin and malignant tumors can look similar on scans.  Malignancy really can't be ruled out until surgical biopsy.  But, a MRI or CT will show other areas of your pelvis and can indicate if you have other tumors, enlarged lymph nodes or large amounts of fluid in the abdomen.  

What size is your cyst?  Usually complex cysts under 5cm are closely followed to see if they are growing or resolving.  If they are larger than 5cm then surgery is almost always required.   Some doctors opt to remove complex cysts that are under 5cm depending on your age and personal risks.  

Take care,

Shelly
hi there , sorry to hear that they found that...
i got a print out of my ultra sound scan from my GP, but they dont always write on the notes what you want to know.  ie, what type of cyst and if its solid or liquid mass, they might need to look in to it more.. i had to wait 7 days after ultrasound to go see Gp to talk about it and what was next steps, it was she who gave me details and there were some questions she also wanted to know but wasnt in notes.
like previous stated by another member there are 3 types of complex cysts...
i had a 4 cm complex cyst (endrometrioma) found over 3 months ago, but i dont know how big it is now, as i have had a previous cyst which grew to 8cm, mine seem to grow very fast..
i am still awaiting treament as i have a complex problem of only having one ovary left...and no children only 25 years old.

hope your o.k
take care
evie xx