cyst with dense center
I am21 yrs old and have been having pain on my lower right side for the past few months.  One night a few weeks ago the pain greatly intensified to the point that I was vomiting. I saw my doctor the following day and he ordered a ct scan.  The ct scan found a cyst on my right ovary about 5cm in diameter with an area of around .9 cm in the center of the cyst with a higher density.  The doctor then ordered a abdominal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a cyst 3x5x8 cm on the right ovary.  The ultrasound image showed the cyst as 'fuzzy' (the actual image wasn't blurry, but I had always thought that fluid shows up clear on an ultrasound but my cyst had echotexture) and there was a region within the cyst 1cm in diameter that had greater echotexture and is marked out on the ultrasound pictures.  The doctor said that it was a cyst and I would need another ultrasound in a few months to check up on it.  I have been researching all types of cysts and cannot figure out what mine is closest to.  Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
I noticed you didn't say if your doctor is a gyn, but I will assume it is for now.
Did you get a copy of your ct. scan and ultrasound for your records? You can get the written reports so if you need a second opinion you'll have them to bring with you. I have a 5 cm. cyst on the left side, it's being removed next month along with the ovary as it has gotten larger and I'm post-menopause. That's something you don't have to worry about for a very long time at 21 years old!!
It sounds like your doctor is doing a watchful waiting to see if it shrinks in a few months. Ovarian cysts are very common, it's when they get large they need to be observed as they can twist or rupture. At your age it is very probable that it is a functional cyst but only the doctor can tell you for sure. Why don't you give the doctors office a call and find out if the US stated what kind of cyst you have, it will give you some peace of mind.
There is a list of types of cysts on the boards but I'm not sure where it is. Maybe someone can direct you to it.
Let us know how your doing
Valerie
Hi there,
if you go to health pages, (located in the upper right corner of your screen) there are great resources on different types of cysts etc. Try not to worry, 95% of cysts are benign. I know it is easier said than done....
Keep us posted
Laney