Ovarian Cysts Community
decision to make
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

decision to make

I am struggling in making a decision in regard to ovarian cyst treatment.  Some background:
-- I am post-menopausal (10 years since last period)
-- Based on "internal" & "external" ultrasounds, cyst is most likely "simple"
-- Size of cyst:  5cm
-- No symptoms; discovered during U/S searching for cause of neurogenic bladder
-- Waited and repeated U/S after 6 weeks-- no change in cyst
-- CA-125 is "normal"
Two Gyn's recommended laparoscopy to remove the cyst and a bilateral oophorectomy.  I can understand the need to biopsy the cyst, and the danger in doing a cystecomy in post-menopausal women.  But I'm not completely sold on the oophorectomy, especially removing BOTH ovaries!  I have found some research that reports the ovaries continue to produce androgens post-menopause.  Without this, there is a "higher risk" of heart disease and osteoporosis, although I am not clear this risk is higher compared to what --- those after surgical menopause and the ovaries are removed sooner than "normal"?    The gyn is willing to leave the L ovary in place (if "visually" normal), but stated that there is about a 10-15% chance of needing surgery to remove that one in the future.  Any comments or further resources is appreciated.