Ovarian Cysts Community
decision to make

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

decision to make

I am struggling in making a decision in regard to ovarian cyst treatment.  Some background:
-- I am post-menopausal (10 years since last period)
-- Based on "internal" & "external" ultrasounds, cyst is most likely "simple"
-- Size of cyst:  5cm
-- No symptoms; discovered during U/S searching for cause of neurogenic bladder
-- Waited and repeated U/S after 6 weeks-- no change in cyst
-- CA-125 is "normal"
Two Gyn's recommended laparoscopy to remove the cyst and a bilateral oophorectomy.  I can understand the need to biopsy the cyst, and the danger in doing a cystecomy in post-menopausal women.  But I'm not completely sold on the oophorectomy, especially removing BOTH ovaries!  I have found some research that reports the ovaries continue to produce androgens post-menopause.  Without this, there is a "higher risk" of heart disease and osteoporosis, although I am not clear this risk is higher compared to what --- those after surgical menopause and the ovaries are removed sooner than "normal"?    The gyn is willing to leave the L ovary in place (if "visually" normal), but stated that there is about a 10-15% chance of needing surgery to remove that one in the future.  Any comments or further resources is appreciated.  
Given the size of your cyst, you have to have it removed.  Since you have to have surgery anyway, is seems wise to remove both ovaries.  At ten years past menopause, I doubt you will experience the higher risks associated with ovarian removal.  Removing the ovaries will reduce your future cancer risk and save you the hardship of future surgeries.  It is a personal decision that only you can make, but that is just my opinion.