Ovarian Cysts Community
edometrioma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

edometrioma

I just found out that I have to get surgery to remove a cyst. I have a few questions if anyone is able to help. What is the approximate cost for laparoscopy and laparotomy and which is best for removing a cyst that is a little over 3 cm. My doctor is suggesting doing laparotomy, but I don't know if that is the right way or if he'd just rather do that. If anyone has any other info that would be great. Also if I do the laparotomy, how soon would I be able to be back to work and school.
Hi there.  Unfortunately I can't advise on the cost since I am Canadian so government covers.  A laparotomy is definitely more expensive than a laparoscopy and the recovery time is much longer (2 weeks laparascopic, 4 - 6 weeks laparotomy).

To help you with your other questions we need more info and I don't see anything in your profile.  How old are you?  Pre or post menopausal?  What kind of cyst?  Did he say why a laparotomy?
Hi there,

I actually just had a 6cm cyst removed from my left ovary last week thursday.  It ruptured and caused internal bleeding.  I am in Key West, FL and the estimated bill was $20,000.

It could be more, could be less depending on your situation.  My bill also included an ER visit, pelvic exam, ultrasound, pregnancy test.  So that could've brought the total down substantially if these things don't take place in your case.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback.
I am 21 years old and have had the cyst over a year and it's just not going away. My doctor wanted to do a laparotomy because he is afraid it might rupture if he did a laprascopy. I am a nursing student and there is no way I can take six weeks to recover. I talked to my instructor who is strongly suggesting a second opinion because a laparotomy sound unneccessary. Well, I'm hoping it works out!
I had a 7cm endometrioma removed by laparoscopy on January 27th.  My first gynecologist told me he would not do it laparoscopically as it was too large and was concerned about it rupturing. I ended up getting a second opinion and found a surgeon who is a laparoscopic "expert" who agreed to do it.  He did what they call "bagging it" which means they put it inside a bag and rupture it so any contents will not spill into your abdomen.  The surgery was a success and everything went really well.  I was back to work on February 9th.  At my post-op check last week, the surgeon said that most doctors won't do laparoscopy on anything cysts as large as mine, but it was all fine.
Yours is still quite small, so I'm sure you could find someone who it willing to do it.  I like you didn't want to take off 6 weeks and have the laparotomy unless it was totally necessary.  I can't comment on the cost as I too, am from Canada and we don't have to pay.  
Good luck and I hope you are able to have it removed laparoscopically.  I know I am really happy with my results.