Ovarian Cysts Community
endometrioma and dermoid cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

endometrioma and dermoid cyst

Hello all!

An ultrasound I had on Oct 4th showed my right ovary contained what looks like a 3.1x2.3x2.2cm endometrioma as well as a 2.1x1.7x1.3cm dermoid cyst. I have had menstrual problems for years and my periods started becoming slightly more irregular a couple of years ago. I have cramping daily no matter where in my cycle I am. My doctor didn't seem terribly concerned about it and told me to get it rechecked in 8-12 weeks. I'm well aware that the only way to get rid of the dermoid is to have surgery, and I'm figuring it is probably a good idea with the endometrioma, but what is the best option for this? I am only 25 but have absolutely zero interest in having children in the future. Should I even bother having them try to save the ovary and just remove the 2 structures within or would it be better to just pull that sucker out?

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
The enodmetrioma and the dermoid cysts have less chance of spontaneous regression; hence removal of the cysts should be a good idea. Conserving the ovaries is not necessary for only for conceiving but also for hormonal function. Hence the aim should be preservation of as much ovary as possible. Discuss with your Doctor.
Hope this helps.