Ovarian Cysts Community
endometrioma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

endometrioma

I have had a complex ovarian cyst which my doctor believes to be an endometrioma for over a year. Im scheduled to have surgery in December to remove the cyst and right ovary, the cyst is about the size of a golf ball.  Is there a chance that this type of cyst will eventually go away or should I go ahead with the surgery.  My CA125 was 26 and I'm 39 years old. Please help I just want peace of mind.
   I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is that after a year, if it hasn't disappeared, it's unlikely to do so now. What type of surgery will you be having ? There is the laparotomy and laparoscopy.. The first is a bit more detailed and recovery about 4-6 weeks. The laparoscopy is usuall done as an outpatient and recovery only about 2-3 weeks total .. I had the laparoscope and felt fine after a week or so. although they don't allow driving or lifting for at 2 weeks. With a cyst that size, you may be looking at the Laparotomy, but that is something that your Dr. will determine.
    Please try not to worry. . I know you'll be happy once the surgery is behind you.. The CA-125 is  a good number  but truthfully, they don't like to rely on it with premenopausal women.But,sometimes they feel that it's better than nothing! . So try to think of other things .. and keep us posted.

Let us know
Sandy
Hi, thank you for sending me a reply. I am scheduled right now for laparoscopy,and the doctor feels that she should beable to get the cyst and ovary out this way but did warn me if there is a complication a laparotmy would have to be performed.  At this point I just want to get it over with!  Thank you again and I think this forum has helped me alot.  trish82
If your cyst is an endometrioma it's probably not going to go away, I just had one removed along with my right ovary that was there for at least 5 years and didn't go anywhere. I also had a larger tumor removed from the left with the ovary that were interpreted a cyst on the TV/US and Cat-scans but ended up being a rare Brenner tumor. Your Ca-125 is in normal range limits, but the only way to know for sure is for them to surgically remove the cyst and have it sent to pathology. It stinks, but that's the way it is right now. Do you know the actual size of your cyst in centimeters, as mine was a bit more than 6 and it was removed laparoscopically along with both ovaries and fallopian tubes. A surgeon who specializes in laparoscopic surgery can often get more out than one who doesn't do too many, and I'm glad I waited longer to find someone with excellent skills.
Good luck and keep us posted of your progress,
Valerie
My cyst is 3cm and is complex on the right ovary, I also have 2 simple cysts on the left
ovary but my Dr. doesn't seem to be too concerned about those.  I've been on birth control pills for almost a year which has at least eased some of my symptoms. I also have been getting frequent ultrasounds to monitor the progress of the cysts but now the Dr feels the complex cyst should be removed along with the right ovary. So, I'm scheduled to have surgery in december.  Thanks for sharing your situation it makes me feel like I,m not alone.
Hi there,
I just had surgery on wed. It was a laparoscopy done robotically. My cysts were there for at least a year and weren't going anywhere. According to my doc who was incredible, these type of complex cysts don't usually go away, hence the surgery. I had three cysts that were continuing to grow. They were about 4-5cm once I finally had them removed. Im sure you will do great. My doc was a gyn/onc as they have so much more experience with this womens reproductive organs. Is that the type of doc you are seeing? Let us know and good luck. The waiting is the worst though, as they can't say for sure til they get in there and take them out. Don't forget 95% of cysts are benign.
Take Care
Laney
Hi Trish
I just read your post there. In 2003 i was diagnosed with endometrioma and had two complex cysts, one each ovary.  The right one was 7.5cm and the left about 3cm.  Anyway the gyno proceeded to perform surgery and had the both removed.  About a year and a half later I realized i started getting a lot of tummy pains and my lower abdomen was looking swollen.  I did an ultrasound and there they were - two cysts had grown all over again!  I was really concerned at the time and stressed because I thought I would have to to go over the whole surgery procedure again. I relayed my concerns to my gyno and he placed me on birth control tablets.  Needless to say, I did another ultrasound about 2 months after going on the BCP and I was cysts free.  BCP may not be the first choice for many woman given the many side effect but if you're concerned about having recurring cysts you should definitely talk to your doctor about it.  And  Laney8463 is correct, most cysts are benign, so try not to stress too much :)