Ovarian Cysts Community
growing complex cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

growing complex cyst

6 wks ago went to ER for kiney stone. CT scan showed left adnexal mass (3.7 cm) and suspicious nodule on liver and a 7 mm calcium deposit? (later determined by urologist that it's not a stone) in or on base of bladder.

2 wks later another CT, TVU, abdominal US showed only a 4.5 cm neoplasm (benign or malignant) left adnexal mass related to ovary. I had a hysterectomy 8 yrs ago and only left piece of left ovary for the hormone benefit. Had right oophorectomy 8 yrs prior to that, due to ruptured/benign cyst.

Last week, gyno ordered another TVU & found complex cyst had grown to 6.6 cm & ordered ca-125 test which is 25 (normal range). I have surgery scheduled in 3 wks to remove cyst & left ovary. The thought of ovarian cancer keeps looming over me. I know the actual surgery will tell me more. But I don't know if to see a gyno-oncologist now; or just wait & see. I know my condition is probably benign, but I'd like opinions & suggestions?  

Does this info point to malignant or benign? I am 48 yrs old and have not been told by gyno what type of cyst he thinks it is. He just said let's get it out & I agreed.
Regardless of the type over 95% are malignant but it is odd he didn't share that info with you.  You should at least ask that a gyn/onc be on call to do a frozen section while you are in surgery just in case it is malignant and then all can be taken care of properly in one surgery.  Good luck and please let us know how it goes.