Ovarian Cysts Community
help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

help please

I'm new to the site. I went to the Dr 6 wks ago and I was diagnosed with a 2cm ovarian cyst he said it would probably go away on its own and told me to come back in 6 wks. Well I went back this week and he said it hasn't gone away and now it's a little over 5cm now he wants me to wait another 6wks then if it hasn't gone away he wants to do a laparoscopic (sp?) Removal of the cyst. I don't really know much about this but I'm a mom of 3 and the thought of surgery is stressful. Does anyone know what this procedure is and how long I would be out of commission?
has he giving you any medation to help it??
Normally surgery is recommended when an ovarian curate is about 7 cm because of the danger of twisting your ovarian due to the weight. They make 4 holes (that's what they did with me) and fill you up with air - you will be under sedation of course. Afterwards you feel the remaining air trying to escape via your ribs, that is a bit painful but if you know what it us you stress less. The wounds are very little on the outside but still, you should rest for a week, maybe two.. Don't lift heavy things our your children. Did your ob give you the pill? Cystes can go away with
..the pill. If you're not comfortable get a second opinion, if you wait a bit it might go away so you don't need surgery.. I've had several 5/6 cms and  they disappeared with the pill..
** Curate : cystes  and our: or
My gyn told me 3 days to recover from a laparoscopic cyst removal.  I had my gallbladder removed this way and it was a really easy recovery. No pain meds taken. :o)
No my doctor hasn't put me on any additional medications. I already have the mirena so he said those hormones should have already reduced it if possible?
Where are those incisions at and how big are they?
The incicions are normally on either side of the belly button and then the "camera" goes in your belly button so that incision won't ever be seen. They are only like a half inch long.  Mine from my gallbladder removal are hardly even visible anymore! :o )
I have 4 incisions, one just above the pubic hairline, one just under my belly button - so yes, mine is noticeable -  and 2 on either side of my belly button. Not big. Unfortunately I've had to have 3 laparoscopies in 3 weeks so my belly button ripped - another laparoscopie to fix that :-) The little ones are hardly visible anymore. Listen to your body and take enough rest - it's important for the wounds to heal with not much scar tissue on the inside.  BUT I think, if your doctor waits a month to see you and you take the pill that there will be a chance that it will go away by itself. Otherwise he would've taken you in the very next day or so.
Thankyou so much ladies. I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask if the pill is an option for me. If not my next u/s is scheduled for December 12 so that way if I do have to have the surgery I can get it done before the end of the year so I won't have to pay my $2500 deductible right after Christmas. Why did they choose to go in below your bellybutton helenasings if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to be prepared for the worst case scenario that way I'm not freaking out in the Dr office. My husband says we will just deal with it if it happens but I'm not good at that at all. I like to know the honest worst scrap so I am prepared otherwise I tend to stop listening and not ever ask questions when I should
Oh also how long has it been since each of you guy's surgeries to where the scars are minimally visible? I had to have 2 lumpectomy on my breasts earlier this year and those scars are still pretty pinkbut I was hoping that was more because they are so large and because it's on my breast instead of my abdomen
I had laparoscopic surgery about 10 months ago to remove two endometriomas. Surgeon also had to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube.  She made 3 incisions...one in belly button, one on left side, one on right side. Of course, belly button incision was never visible. Right side incision is no longer visible.  Left side incision is just barely visible to me since I know where it is, but I think someone else would have a very hard time finding it.  I'd say that the incisions only took about 1-2 months to become invisible or barely visible. It's really quite amazing.

Recovery is pretty easy.  You'll probably feel good in just a few days...just tired. No pain really. Only thing is that you will probably be told you can't lift more than 10 pounds for 4 weeks. That's what I was told.  Might be an issue with 3 kids (not sure how old your kids are though).    
Yea that's going to be crappy my Kids are 6, almost 3 and then my youngest just turned one in September. I'm confused about the co2 gas they push in there. Can they not remove it? Like I don't understand why they leave it in there. Everything I keep finding says that's the most uncomfortable part. Is that true?
Before my surgery, I read a lot of message boards (including this one) and everyone talked about the gas.  How bloated they were, how painful the gas was, etc...  I didn't have any issues with the gas.  My belly was flat as a board after surgery (no bloating) and I didn't have any of the horrible gas pains that some people describe.  Did my surgeon do something different than other surgeons to try to get the gas out?  I don't know.  All I know is that the gas wasn't an issue with me.  I did feel a little bit of discomfort dead center in my chest on day 2 (I think it was day 2).  Which scared me at first, because I said to myself "Why does my chest hurt?" and then I realized that there was probably some gas trapped in there.  It wasn't horrible though. I just rubbed it a bit and it was gone in a couple of hours.  Honestly, it was no big deal. And then about day 4 a felt very mild shoulder discomfort and I said "Oh, this is what they talked about in the forums".  But again, it was very, very mild for me.  My shoulders hurt a lot more than that the day after an aerobics class.

So, overall, I really didn't have any issues with the gas.  I count myself lucky.  Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.  I am guessing that as a mother of 3 kids, you're probably in pretty decent shape and if you've gone through labor, this surgery will be a piece of cake for you.  Honestly!

I wish you the very best and please come back after the surgery and let us know how you did and what your experience was.  

Again, if you have any more questions, let us know.
Thankyou so much for your help. I am really physically fit I run 6 miles a day and I eat healthy so I am really hoping those things will work in my benefit. I really hope I'm like you and I don't have any problems with the gas. I had my two youngest naturally without any medications for pain so if it's not as bad as that then I'm hoping I can handle it will th out any meds and only have to rest for a few days. I'm so grateful to all of you who replied. Thankyou sooooooo much
You run 6 miles a day and went through natural childbirth?  Yeah, I don't think you'll have any problems with the surgery. :)

My doctor felt I had an easy recovery because I take good care of myself. But you're in better shape than I am.  Being healthy and in good shape physically when you go into surgery is key.  You're going to do great!