Ovarian Cysts Community
hemorrhagic cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

hemorrhagic cyst

I received news that I have a hemorrhagic cyst. My doctor can't see me until the 30th. My question before I get there would be, what causes this/these? And is there a way to rid them? Has anyone had experience with hemorrhagic cysts before that can share info, please? Thanks so much! Trayce K
I don't know about them--sorry, but I am sure someone will post for you who does.  In the meantime, I found a site at www.indyrad.iupui.edu.  

Good Luck!
Welcome to the site!  There will be plenty of ladies along to give you great info and advise.  Try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, but you are wise not to ignore your symptoms.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I am doing the watch and wait.  I have two one in my ovary and one on my kidney.  I am up again for another US in June to see if the BC pills that I am on have stopped the growth or not.  I had my ca125 done and it was elevated twice.  Still have to redo that as well.  Doctor thinks its endo so I am not sure.  I think that they are benign.  Most of them are.  I am sure that someone will come along to help you some more.  

How big is yours?
I was first diagnosed, by transvaginal ultrasound, a year ago with "normal" water filled cysts. I was put on hormone creams, progesterin, and estrogen. I gained weight immediately, I couldn't sleep, and I was still hurting. 3 months later my ob/gyn had all the same tests run again. She said nothing had changed. (except for my mood swings, from being over weight (thanks to the hormone creams), tired, crabby, and in pain.)
I stopped using the creams & have dealt with the pains as much as I can. However recently I was unable to get out of bed for 2 days because I was hurting so much. On the 4th day I made it to the doctor, she had all the same tests done again. NOW she says I have the blood filled cysts. So here I am. Waiting for my next doctor's appt.
     I have no idea what she will suggest. Do you??
hi, i also have a hemorrhagic cyst. it was discovered in december last year and i still have it now. i have just had my second laporoscopy last this month. i originally had this cyst some 18mths ago and apparently then it looked normal on the scan, then i had it rescanned and apparently it had changed shape and become irregular. this was then thought to be a hemorrhagic cyst. i had the surgery just to make sure but when i came around the sugeon said he had not done a biopsy. i was furious and now i have to make a decision as to whether to leave it and take his word that it is this type of cyst (he says he can see blood in the corner or the ovary) or have the biopsy which he tells me would mean removal of my ovary. an hemorrhagic cyst is just a term used when it is thought that the cyst has bled into itself but it can only be definately determined by surgery. no scan either tvu or ultrasound can tell the difference between this type or cyst or possible malignancy. how was your cyst diagnosed as a hemorrhagic cyst. most cysts of this typ resolve on their own but mine has been there for 18mths now and it has not resolved. i am now going to go ahead and have the surgery because only then will my mind be put at rest. i hope this helps.
I saw my doc on the 30th. She seems to think I have Endo too.
Looks like I am going to do the laporoscopy in July. She is planning on removing, or draining, the cyst(s). I don't quite understand the process of the laporoscopy in detail. I'm wondering, will I be able to return to work (physical job) within a couple of days?  
    Thanks to everyone for writing! This has been helpful, especially for my nerves!
GREAT information, I too just found out today I have a cyst in both my ovaries, 1 looks to be hemrragic or endometrioma, working in a Cancer Clinic I was freaking myself WAY OUT!! I cheated and got my report of our Hospitals portal before my Dr even saw it.. Now I get to wait and see what the next steps are, mine came out of nowhere feeling good, then woke up one day in excruciating pain, ignored it, was 7 weeks late on my period and finally went in, Had my ultrasound 2 days ago.. Hurrying up to wait some more now...
So, next week I am going in for my third laproscopic surgery.  This will be the second one inside of 5 months.  Apparently, my body is continuing to develop what my doctor referrs to as hemorrhagic cysts.  I had surgery back in January to remove a hemorrhagic cyst and when I woke up, I came to find out that my fallopian tube was also removed.  The cyst was growing from inside the tube.  Six weeks after that surgery I went back for my follow up only to find that yet another cyst had developed.  I was put on the pill ( at the time we didn't know it was hemorrhagic ).  Now here I am 5 months later and ready to have surgery again in a week, only this time, my ovary is being removed as well.  
I'm told that once the ovary is removed, that will prevent any further cysts from developing on my right side.  My right side seems to be my problemed side.  My question is will the cysts now start forming on my left ?  And does anyone have any idea how or why these things form in the first place ?  Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I have suffered from cyst ruptures for a few years now.  I have had hemoragic cyst ruptures.  (you know when you see brown discharge following) They are one of the most painful feelings you can experience.  I have been to the ER twice, once becuase I had no idea I even had this problem, and the second time was because I was in intense pain and wasn't sure if it was from a cyst or  not.  It usually starts with referred pain in my back and comes around the front lower part of my abdomen.  I feel abdominal sensitivity to sitting and walking.  The first rupture was so painful that I was hyperventilating 15 minutes into the onset of pain.  The ER typically can't do anything for you but give you pain medication.  Women aren't usualy taken in for surgery as an ER patient unless they have a torched overy.  (twisted ovary) due to the size of the cyst.  I also had symptoms of very heavy periods and pain that radiated down my legs.  I have abdominal tenderness that began befor any surgeries.  I also have tenderness at the back of my cervix.  Endometriosis occures when cells like the ones that normally grow in the endometrial layer of your uterus, grow outside of your uterus.  They can even grow in your fallopian tubes.  This usually occurs when you have retrograde menstruation.  (heavy bleading that backs up into your tubes. )  Those cell growths develope scar tissue and can block your tubes off from a released egg so that you have a very hard time being able to conceive.  When a hemorrhagic cyst grows on your ovary, it can rupture.  Nomally, all women grow a cyst each month when they ovulate.  The ripened egg ruptures out of the cyst and is sent down the fallopian tube and either fertilized or sluffed off with your period.  So, it's not that cyst growth is abnormal, it when you have a cyst that is abnormally large or filled with abnormal material that is a concern.  Once you rupture a cyst, your tissues in the surrounding area absorb that fluid, causing lesions to develope in the tissue.  This is endometriosis.  You do not have to have cyst ruptures to have endometriosis, but this is one way it can spread. I had a hysterectomy last november because I had vein congestion (mass of uterine vericose veins) on my right side.  The pathology report mentioned findings of adenomyosis, (endometrial tissue that has grown deep in the uterin muscle in ball like forms), and 2 fibroids.  Two weeks later I was visiting my grandma and read from her diary that her mother had a hysterectomy at age 32 (I'm 26), from uterine cancer.  She also developed breast cancer.  I don't know that I have any risk as this is more unrelated to cancer, but knowing all the issues I had makes me curiouse.  Hope this helps someone out there. Since my great grandma's surgery was so long ago, I wonder if maybe she also had adenomyosis and they thought it to be cancer.  However, she did end up with breast cancer, so maybe it really was cancer.  It's just interesting to me because my grandma kept a daily journal for 40 years and I happened to read from this page as I was thumbing through her journal.  We were reading from her journals because we thought she was dying and wanted to find some nice stories to share with the family.
I've had hemorrhagic cyst ruptures too.  They are painful and I understand how you feel.  Good luck.
I to was just diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst. I want to know if a person can still conceive a child with this kind of cyst? And what if it ruptures? Is having a baby out of the question? Someone help me understand I LOSING MY MIND!!!
dont worry, you will still be able to have babies!! I have 4 children and have had problems with blood filled cyst for years !!  take care!!
I'm 23 and miscarried @ 9 weeks, I do not know the reason. 4 months later I found out I have a hemorrhagic Cyst, on the right ovary. I've  been trying to get pregnant, I'm playing the waiting game for the next ultrasound to see if it's gone.Will i be able to conceive with/without the cyst?
I'm 44 and am about to have a third ultrasound to reveal how my right ovary is doing. I have 2 lesions inside whereas one of them is simple and the other complex and hemorrhagic. The concern is the right ovary which has also enlarged. My doctor wants to take the ovary out if the cyst is still there. I have 2 concerns, one; why is the doctor so quick to want to take the ovary? After I said I was interested in more children she said there was the alternative of dealing with the cyst alone. Mhy second concern is the enlarged ovary. My uterus is enlarged to almost twice its size, also, because of a fibroid a little bigger than a large egg. So here we go. I have no reproductive organ cancer in the family, so how long do I live with this before I get worried? How serious do I get with a possibility of more children with my new husband (he has none) when I haven't been able to get pregnent for 14 yrs now?
I happened along this site by means of trying to pacify myself as I wait for my Dr. to get back to me with some CT scan dates and lab dates etc.  and cannot tell you how relieved I am to read that I am not losing my mind here.
I had 2 ultrasounds yesterday (1 pelvic and 1 transvag) and it showed a cyst on my left ovary...and the right ovary has nothing.  Dr. called today to confirm that she thinks its a hemorrhagic cyst.  Here's my confusion though, I have substancial pain on my right side ...it started in my back and radiates around to my lower right pelvic area.  I get "uncomfortable" sitting until I can wiggle around and find a good place and when I'm at my desk and leaning forward...forget it!
Have any of you had this same kind of "pain"?  Or should I be thinking now that I had one on the right as well and it ruptured (I read that they can rupture and the blood can just stay in your ab. cavity and not come out vaginally).

I was up all night freaking myself out so sorry if there's a bunch of typos!

Helen

Hi there Helen
Try not to freak yourself out!  I too have these cysts that come and go, and they can definitely cause symptoms like you have described, even referring pain to different sides.
I had a 5cm cyst on my right ovary and was having symptoms including terrible back and right side pain.  I have recently had an MRI which showed that the cyst has gone, but my back pain remains!  
I have now been to the physiotherapist who says that the back pain may have something to do with how I am sitting at work as well! So do look at other causes as well.  Not saying that you dismiss your cysts.....as cysts can form and disappear as we ovulate and it is good that you are keeping an eye on them, and that your doctor is watching too.but do try not to worry too much as most cysts turn out to be ok.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Peace and love....Kim
Thanks so much for telling me about the "referred pain".  I went for a CT scan this morning and am having labs tomorrow and then I see my Dr. on 5/1.

I know that we complain about our physicians a lot but, my Dr. is sooooo on it!  All I did was call her office and let her know that I was really worried about the cyst and she said "well, if you're worried, then I need to work harder to put you at ease"  It was about an hour later that her nurse called to let me know that they had scheduled the CT and labs AND moved my appointment up from May 14th to the 1st!  I am a new patient with her office because I couldn't seem to get my last doctor to listen to me about my whacko periods etc.  So maybe I'm on the right track here, finally!

I'll let you know where this all lands next week and thanks again so much for helping put my mind at ease, if nothing else, I know I'm not out here all alone!
hearts,
helen  
I had a hysterectomy (due to cervical cancer) 2 years ago but the doctor decided not to remove my right ovary because there were no problems with it.  Now I was just diagnosed with a large hemorrhagic cyst on the ovary.  I have been in alot of pain and have even gone to the extent of changing GYN doctor.   It upsets me to know that I have to undergo surgery again.  Just wanted to voice my thoughts. Peace and love Maria
In Aug. of '07 I had a 14cm dermoid tumor removed from my left ovary (as well as my left ovary and tube) - luckily it was nonmalignant.  At the time of this surgery the MD also drained a cyst on my right ovary - which was a simple cyst (there was a 15% chance that I could have had the same type of tumor on my right ovary). After the surgery it took a few months for my cycle to regulate (I was also breastfeeding so that does not help knowing what your hormonal situation is). In January of '08 I returned for an ultrasound due to intense pain on my right side - & I was diagnosed with a "bleeding" cyst, about 2.5cm (relatively small).  It is now May of '08 and the cyst is still there and the same size.  Does anyone know if having past trauma on your ovary (for example - the removal or draining of a cyst) could cause future cysts to form (obviously not simple cysts - as those are formed from egg follicles not releasing in a timely manner)...?  In addition I have been having crazy mood swings like never before (I've had two children vaginally w/o drugs - so I have some perspective on pain and mood swings).  I feel like I've hit puberty again.  I'm also hesitant to have this cyst removed & I fear that with my recent symptoms the MD will recommend this.  I'm also terrified of losing my only existing ovary during a future surgery... Has anyone had a hysterectomy and had success with hormone therapy or other natural hormone replacements?
I was just diagnosed with HC and will be having surgery and was just wondering what to expect as far as afterwards, like recovery time, hospital stay, etc.  I have a 2yr old and a 1yr old so I am hoping for little to no down time.  I had my tubes tied after my 1yr old was born (the same day) and am wondering if it is similar to that?  Thanks for any help.
I too was just diagnosed with a HC 2.5cm. I am scheduled to have a 2nd round of ultrasounds to determine what the next steps should be....surgery?!

Have you had your surgery yet and if so, how was your recovery time? I am worried that the cyst has grown b/c of the pain I have been in on and off.

I hope all is going well for you and your family (I understand having two little ones at home)!
my sonographer scanned me and told me i have 2 endometrial cysts on my right ovary,
is there any chance she can be confused with a heamoragic cyst?
I have had two cysts removed laparoscopically over the last couple of years. The surgery is outpatient, so I wasn't in the hospital for more than a half day. The worst part of the recovery is the gas they put into your abdomen to bloat it for the surgery. They are able to release most of it, but after the surgery the gas moves throughout your body typically causing shoulder pain. It goes away after a couple of days though. I took a week off of work for recovery. After the surgery it also hurts to cough or sneeze due to the expansion and contraction of the abdomen. I recommend holding a pillow against your abdomen if you have to do either. Overall it isn't that bad of a procedure. The doctor even showed me pictures of my ovary before and after the removal. It was kind of cool to see.
I had a a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago, the r was going to remove my right ovary due to fibroids but last min kept it. I have had pain ever since surgery on that side. However the pain has been bad the last 1 ½ yr. It  got really bad about the last 4 months so I went into the dr 2 weeks ago and I have a large hc on the right side. My hysterectomy was due to cervical cancer, my pap test cam back clear this week year im still worried this cyst can be something cancerous am I worrying over nothing. Why do most women get them on the right side?
Hello I was told that i probably have Hemorrhagic Cysts in both ovary and am in a lot of pain.  I found this web site that explains what they are www.ovarian-cysts.com and I just had a CT scan and am now waiting for the results. however, cysts are almost always benign and go away on their own (well 95% of them statistacly) I am worried about this because there is Ovarian cancer in my family.  Hopefully it will bring piece of mind to some of you as it did me.
HI, I started out with the cyst too. Everything was normal in my life, then one night excruciating pain and went to the hospital (actually waiting room) for 12 hours, had ultrasound and CT. Was told a cyst had burst and nothing to worry, just monitor. Didn't get a follow-up till 2 months later and by then had this big bump on my abdomen. Then they got worried and another ultrasound, chest x-ray, ct and blood work and referred to a gyn-onc. Had surgery another month later for radical hysterectomy and told I had ovarian cancer. On chemo now and only 1 treatment left. But my advice to you is push for the tests/surgery sooner than later. I know everyone the doctor is seeing is dealing with cancer, but this is your life and you've got to take charge. Mine grew really really fast and the first doctor even apologized and said they should have followed me up faster. I'll never know, but I'll always think that had I gotten in a month earlier, my cancer would have been contained to Stage 1 vs Stage 2. I know it's still better than Stage 3 (which is the most common) but ovarian cancer at any stage is not good.

I wish you all the best and hope it's benign as they say 95% are.

Wendy
Wow, There are some amazing stories on this board. I also have Hemorrhagic cysts although they dissolve on thier own without the use of any medication or medical interference. I do take Iodine which is supposed to prevent cysts. I agree with others and listen to your body. My GYN has my overies monitored every two months to check on new and existing cysts. Its very important to know what is going on.
On December 2007 I had 2 ultrasounds done (pelvic & transvag).  I had these tests done "just because" and as part of an annual physical.  My Pap Smear came up normal ~ the ultrasound did not.

"There are two right parauterine adnexal masses.  The lowest mass is 7.3 cm in diameter.  Separate and superior to this mass is a second lesion which measures 6.6 X 5.1 cm in diameter."

"There are two complex parauterine masses which are worrisome for ovarian neoplasm.  Differential diagnosis includes endometrioma or hemorrhagic cyst"

I haven't had pains which suprised me that I had these masses.  The doctor I saw for consultation had recommended surgery to remove the masses, but I wanted a second opinion before doing anything major.  He orderd a CA-125 test and it came up to --> 30 !! which was normal.  So I decided NOT TO HAVE SURGERY.  This was in January 2008 ~

Anyways ... fast forward to today ... June 2009 ... having had no pains or problems for the whole year.  I scheduled another "annual" physical and for some reason, a couple of days before my appointment.  I was
stretching i felt a bump on my abdomen.  Still no pains or anything.

I spoke to a NEW doctor who ordered another CA-125 TEST.  The result came up "high" -->  56

So in a couple of days I'm going to meet up with an OBGYN for consultation.  I'm worried about that bump, and the higher test result this year.  
I was just diagnosed with the hemorrhagic cyst yesterday.  The ultrasound was so incredibly painful!  I consider myself to have a high tolerance for pain but I have been going through this since June.  Do any of you have pain like this.  It starts on my pelvic floor and feels like a spasm (an ice pick that is inserted in my paranium muscle) Then it feels like something blew up in my ovaries and uterine area!  It comes and goes and my doctor seems to think that my pain is not related to my cyst.  Am I crazy???
I just got diagnosed with an HC as well.  I have been trying to have children for over a year now.  I am very concerned.  My doctor said to have another pelvic ultrasound in 5 wks but I'm worried.  I guess my cyst burst but what does that mean?  Do I have to wait 5 more weeks to not get pregnant?  I'm already 30 with no kids.  This is driving me crazy.  I guess surgery is not an option right now for some reason maybe it is but she didn't say so.  Ovarian and vaginal cancer run in the family.  I am worried that this could lead to that.  My mom and my Aunt think it's wierd that I am not having a D&C to "clean it out".  Should I be?  I just got my period today and I am hoping to not spot again in 2 wks which seems to be happening (everytime it's time to ovulate).  20% chance of getting prego is NOT a lot.
Any advice?
I was in the ER two days ago and learned I had a HC rupture (larger than a golf ball).  I knew something was wrong as the night before I thought I was literally dying.  I have since found out I have yet another HC that is larger than normal but has not ruptured yet.  I'm on bed rest with lots of meds to help with pain.  I see my doctor tomorrow.  Will they do surgery on the HC that has not ruptured yet?  Or let it rupture and then figure out the next steps?
My daughter is going through most of this that all of you are talking about.  Thank God I came upon this site.  My daughter was diagnosed with endometriosis about 3 1/2 years ago.  We have been through 2 surgeries and lupron shots.  Her last surgery was June 2009. She is 22 years old going on 23.  It is back and she is in pain. Is there places it can be without seeing it?

Well new problem now... I had her to ER last Sunday and now she is diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst and is in dire pain.   She is to finally see a specialist 2 hours away, but not till October 1st.  They don't want to give her pain medicine - they think she will get hooked on it being young.  They will give it to her and then take her off.  Motrin, naproxin, nothing seems to help.   My mother died of Ovarian Cancer in 1999 and this scares me totally.  Some days I wonder if she is really hooked on the percoset or the pain is that bad and from what I gather from you ladies.. this is extremely painful.  She is to go to a pain management doctor and at this point we still don't have an appt there.  There are not booking till November/December.  What is the matter with our doctors anymore ... do they not care???

She finally sees her gyno tomorrow ... wish me luck.
HI
I was diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst a month ago  6cm. I had a hysterectomy in Dec of 08 a little bummed that I now am gonna loose the ovary we decided to save. I was completely unaware that you can still get a cyst with out all the other parts. My Dr took my ovary apart cleaned it up and now its being held together by clips......yikes! My concern is it rupturing. I go in for my second ultra sound on Tuesday. I just want this all gone. Fortunately I don't have any real pain. Mostly it hurts during sex and the ultra sound. I have spasms occasionally and some discomfort on my right side but nothing that keeps me from my day. My biggest concern is now is that I'm a cycle instructor...should I be teaching...will that possibly cause a rupture?? UUUGGHHH I'm so over all of this.
I am 25 yrs old now, last July 08 I had a cyst around 5 cm removed, fine for about 4 months, in Nov. 08 went back to the gyno to find out I had another cyst now on my left, surgery again, laproscopically my gyno went in and tried to remove it but could not save my ovary removed my whole left ovary then comes out I also have endometriosis. Now a year later had pain in my right side, had a sonogram and ultrasound just to find out I have a "hemorrhagic cyst" now. Kinda of worries me because I only have 1 ovary left... Well good luck to everyone else... I just wanted to tell my story.
   I am scheduled to have a hemorrhagic cyst and right ovary removed on Friday.  
   On Monday of this same week, I found myself doubled over in excruciating pain.  I had no idea what was causing this sudden onset of pain. The pain radiated down my lower right back and throughout my lower abdomen and groin area.  
   I went to the ER on Tuesday afternoon.  After a CT scan and a vaginal ultrasound, I found out I had an enlarged kidney and an ovarian cyst. The ER doc gave me a shot and IV for pain while there. The doc believes I may have passed a kidney stone or two to create the enlarged kidney.
  I followed up with my gyno today (Wednesday) and he immediately scheduled surgery for Friday.  I was suppose to leave for a vacation to Mexico on Sunday.  I had to cancel the trip!
   My gyno warned me that the cyst was very large and the ovary was susceptible to being flopped around by having sex, riding in a bumpy bus or other physical activity.  So taking chances on a trip would put me in other medical dangers.
   I will have my right ovary removed in two days!
well i found out i have a resolving hemorrhagic cyst but the size is 6.7 cm. i have no pain not even during sex. i am taking a trip in 3 days im woundering if the pressure the airplane will have any affect on this thing in my body? i have a follow up in 6 to 8 weeks im not sure if that seems to long to wait? although i am going to vist a relitave that is a very good gyno which i will get a second opinoin, any suggestions??? Any would be well needed, thanks everyone! your blogs really help me stay at ease for a bit.
Well this message board seems like a total waste of time.  Tons of questions, scared women, but not a single answer.  What is the point of this?  For those of us dealing with this problem to just spew our questions and fear into the cosmos, and get nothing in return?  What a waste of mental energy and internet space.  I'm not even going to bother posting my story - it's very similar to many of the ones already on here, so why add the same questions and expressions of fear when nothing comes of it?  I was told to come here to get answers.  But all I find are dozens of the same questions.
After having extreme abdominal pain, continued negative test and being called hyperconcriac I demanded that a laposcopy diagnosis be performed. Finally an answer resulting in PID and a hemorhagic cyst on right ovary. My Dr, whom is suppose to be good, did nothing with the scar tissue and cyst that was found,He stating that I would have to change life style and begin treating me with antibotics and that i would be taking antibitics for next couple of months. does that sound right to anyone whom experienced HC.
Look into Exablate 2000 MRgFUS.

I am 29yrs old,I have 1 cm hemorrhagic cyst, will I be able to conceive?
I am an sonographer and have also suffered from many cysts, both simple and hemorrhagic.  Many, many women have them; I see them multiple times a day.  As long as you are in your reproductive years, it is completely normal for your ovaries to make cysts.  Most of the time they just go away.  They are almost always nothing to worry about as they are normal and super, super common.
I also had the CA 125 test done and mine came up at 19.  These tests are not that accurate.  You can have a normal level and still have cancer or you can have a high level and not have cancer.  I suggest that you research the CA 125 test.
I also have a HC and am going to have surgery.  I had a hysterectomy 10yrs ago when I was 31, now this.  I just hope that this is the end of female surgeries.  I just feel that with the removal of the ovaries, I am loosing the last bit of my womanhood.  Does anyone else feel this way?  How do you deal with this?
Thanks!  Good luck to all of you!!
Thanks for all of these comments, very helpfu!  I was diagnosed recently with a 5.4 cm hemoragic cyst, which is leaning on my appendix (plus other cysts, fibroids and hemangioma on liver).  I wouldn't be surprised if I need a hysterectomy eventually & and I'd be fine with that!  My mom and sister had hysterectomies for similar issues.   I have faith in my doctor but it really does helps to hear what other women have gone through, especially since I am newly diagnosed and at times have incapacitating pain!  I already received conflicting advise from 2 dr's re:  laparoscopy vs the pill & differing recommendations on the certain pain meds etc.  The pill isn't helping my pain & other issues one bit - has anyone else experienced this?  I do realize that I'm just in the early stage of dealing with this.
Hi there,

I have found out I have such a cyst after its rupture last December.  I was put on the pillule to diminish the symptoms, help it resorb and also to get my menstrual cycle back as it had stopped for a couple of months before the rupture.

I am now following by a gyno and last visit he was happy with how my 'insides' were compared to the prvious times.  However, I still have days (although less) where my cyst bugs me and in the tohse days I try to relax, rest and alternate hot and cold compresses on my back and lower belly area as it stimulates the blood clot in the cyst.

I am due to visit my second gyno in Europe in a couple of weeks so he can confirm my my normal gyno has just said.  It is a good idea to have second opinion doctors to reassure yourself but also get the max advice you can as the pain and the worry you can get from a small cyst is quite huge.  

Good luck to everyone out there with cysts...i know I have had to change certain things in my life (diet, work, etc) to reduce my cyst and endo symptoms...so you might think of that for yourself, it helps.

I completely agree about getting a second opinion.

I was on and off sick for a few years (and especially in the months leading up to the rupture of my hemorrhagic cyst).  Though I regularly went to the gyno, no one 'picked up' that I had cysts, let alone a hemorrhagic one!  Even though I complained of abnormal pain and fever during periods, no one did an ultrasound (and a gynecologist years ago even LOST my ultrasound results and never got back to me).  If you think something is wrong and your doctor isn't pursuing the issue, PLEASE SEE A DIFFERENT DOCTOR.

After a long stint in the ER late this November, I was admitted to the hospital with doctors believing I had appendicitis.  I only found out after surgery and being seen by about 7 doctors that I had a hemorrhagic cyst that had burst and infected my colon.  They removed the appendix for good measure (since they were already in there and it would be one less thing to worry about in the future).  However, I didn't get many answers about.... well, anything.  They didn't even give me a straight answer as to whether or not my colitis was caused by the hemorrhagic cyst, though I suspect it was because it was only infected on the outside where the bleeding probably occurred, making it look like I had appendicitis.

Anyway, I'm hopeful but down for ANY ADVICE anyone can give me.  I've had horrible experiences with birth control pills (once where they made me gain 30 pounds in a month and a half/2 months, and the other where they made me listless and suicidal) so needless to say, I find the idea abhorrent and will refuse til I'm driven to it by knife point.  They made me completely unhealthy and the first time around, it took me 3 years to take off the weight.  The second time round, it took me 5 months to really dig myself completely out of the depression.

If anyone knows of any alternative therapies, I'd be very interested to hear your advice.  I refuse to believe that the only way to treat/prevent hemorrhagic cysts is with pills which not even the doctors can predict how they will affect the body.  That's a particular guessing game I won't take part in anymore.

There is hope.  I believe.  I've been living with chronic pain since age 11, and I'm 23 going on 24.  If I haven't given up, neither should you.  
There are answers out there! A very talented nutritionist named Karen Hurd is who I am turning to to with my cyst issues. This lady does phone consultations and has helped over 11,000 people overcome everything from Diabetes to all the inflammatory disorders like Colitis, Ulcerative colitis, Crohns, Athritises, and even Fibromyalgia! She uses food mainly as her medicine and sometimes a few supplements. Look her up, She has simple solutions and is super cheap compared to MD's and OB's! And best of all she has real answers to where cysts, tumors and endometriosis comes from!Her contact info  is on her website. Karenhurd.com.
Hey ..well i know that u wrote this in 2006 and its soo long ago ...but im suffering now from what u were suffering a year ago i had severe pain and i went to do an ultra sound and found out that i had a cyst (it was filled with water) so the doctors told me that there is nothin to fear and so on and that it will go away on its own ...anywhose a couple of days ago i felt this very sharp unstoppable pain and it lasted 2 days so i went to do an ultrasound to see whether a new cyst has formed and i found out that i have a 5cm hemorrhagic cyst ...i'd really be glad if u told how everything went with u ...because i am very concerned ...I hope to get a reply from u soon (:
hemorrhagic cysts will be there in young unmarried women who doesnt intercourse and causes of this.please answer.
I just found out thursday that I have a nice 3cm hemorhagic cyst on my left ovary....I have severe stomach pain so went to the hospital and found out I have a hemorahgic cyst.....I am wondering if I will be able to conceive a child after it goes away.....please I need answers......I also am wondering if the cyst is a side effect from my mirena....I also want to know what is a hemorhagic cyst....will I be able to conceive another child....thank you 1mom06n10
I have known I have had multiple ovarian cysts for a couple of years now. Nothing was ever really said as to what I could do. I am on Mirena as well. I ended up in the ER Wednesday night. I had the sudden, intense pain that comes with a rupture but rather than subsiding after a little while, it persisted. They found a 4cm HC on my left ovary. Followed up with the GYN yesterday and he told me that Mirena doesn't cause the cysts, but doesn't help to alleviate them as do some BC pills. I asked if I should take it out and switch to pills and he said that there was no need. I am due back in for another ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if the cyst has absorbed; if not, laproscopy. I am really happy I found this site! I have been researching for hours and this is the most real info that I have been able to find as to what will be done....not what should be.
wow... i was hesitant about joining a forum at first but now i realize i am not alone and i am not crazy. all the info evryone has provided has helped me so much! i have been dealing with this hem cyst for years. i may finally have the chance for surgery after losing my insurance years ago. gonna delve deeper into this site n share more laater. been a long day....
How is your daughter today? Please keep me informed.
***@****
Hello guys I am 26 have a 3 year old child. C section. I got a medical termination of pregnancy done last year 2012 August. Since then I'm fine. Normal cycles and all. Once in a while I take that 72 hours pill if I had unprotected sex. Now I got pregnant last month and went to gyn. She did a scan and found out it was ectopic. And ruptured. I was already in pain. So they did a emergency lap and removed my left tube. Now it's been 27 days to surgery and feeling a dull pain fullness discomfort on my left side and also back pain. I went to gyn and she said I had a 0.5 cm hemorrhagic cyst on my left ovary. She said to just wait and watch and not to do anything at all. Is it ok. Will it resolve ? What if it ruptures ? I can't have another laparoscopy in just one month. I'm getting **** scared. Is my reproductive system all screwed up? What do I do now ? Pls advice
i received news that i have a left hemorrhagic cyst size apporx 3.6x2.4.lfet ovary is enlarged in size . my doctor cant see me next 2 cycles.please advice
I can tell you from first hand knowledge that A) the reality and the risk of getting "hooked" on pain meds is very real and that B) the pain IS that bad. That's a part of the reason you can get hooked, nothing else works and then a tolerance is built and its insidious because before you know it you do have a problem. I've had cysts and endo for years, many laproscopic procedures, left ovary removed and an obgyn who is far from helpful. I had a cyst rupture and the pain was the closest thing to first onset of labor pains I've ever had, and my dr said to take motrin for the discomfort. MOTRIN!! I was in excruciating pain, not mere discomfort. I try to take non narcotics as much as possible--but sometimes there is nothing else. And the sad thing is the narcotics don't even get rid of most of the pain, just make it bearable. I'm going to be looking for a new obgyn tomorrow. My doctor may be technically good but not a help at all. He basically left it up to my discretion whether or not to do another laproscopic procedure for a hemorrhagic cyst on my only remaining ovary. I don't get any answers at all, I don't know how severe the situation may be, cancer runs in my family too--and all I get is if you feel better cancel surgery and we can reschedule down the road. Really? will I have to reschedule? what happens in the mean time? when is the "breaking point" to when a cyst surgery is no longer at my discretion and when its necessary? I guess my rant is that if your doctor now isn't giving you information in a way that makes you feel comfortable and knowledgeable--get a new one. find one that takes the time to listen to ALL concerns and stick with them. best of luck to your daughter. keep a close eye on her--if there is a cyst there will be pain..just watch for dramatic mood swings when she doesn't have the meds, going to many doctors to get meds if one doesn't prescribe them, and her taking them when it doesn't seem necessary. I take them when the pain is to the point that its disrupting my life--its so bad I cant walk, I cant work, etc otherwise you have to just suck it up, use a heat pad and pray
all I can tell you is that by 16 I had a dermoid cyst so large the dr thought I was 3 mos pregnant. I was told then I would NEVER be able to have children. ive had multiple surgeries and laproscopic procedures done for severe endo and cysts, had left ovary completely removed before I was 22, went through 2 bouts of Lupron and strong BC to control the endo. at 27 I was completely surprised by an absolutely unplanned pregnancy. I took 4 at home tests and went to dr and had tests done there before I believed it. my daughter had to be delivered by emergency C-section and while they were doing that, yet another large cyst was removed along with a portion of the ovary. I know have a hemorrhagic cyst which is extremely painful and a very lively and beautiful miracle child who is 3yrs old. I've mentioned hysterectomy because the pain is completely disruptive but the dr said by all rights my little girl shouldn't even be here-- so he's not going to say I cant have any more children. Soo...can you have children? I know sometimes even hope can be more painful than none--but if I can have a baby then I think it is possible for ANYONE!! I am not a religious zealot but her conception was truly a gift from God.
Hi. I am 17 years old. I was recently diagnosed with having a 4cm Hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary. I have also been diagnosed with endometriosis, i used to have TERRIBLE periods. I lost 4 pounds in one week due to blood loss. In February, i went into labor and apparently passed a segment of the lining of my uterus. I was on the BC pill for 5 years, but nothing was helping, so they gave me the Nuva Ring in attempt to lessen my cramps. I have been to the point of literally screaming at the top of my lungs for the past three weeks. I have been in and out of the hospital. 5 days ago i spent the night in the hospital where they did a transvaginal ultrasound & discovered that it was a hemorrhagic cyst. The pain is excruciating. I have recently started to have a very very thick brown bloody discharge and wanted to know if that was to be expected. Any help, information, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I have had hemorrhagic cysts for years.  I've been to the ER a few times because they have burst.  I finally got on a good insurance plan in 2010 and have them followed every two to three months.  I have yet to have surgery on any of them.  They have always eventually gone away.  Sometimes it takes about a year but they have all eventually gone, but only to form new ones!  It's a constant.  There are months when they bother me all the time and months in which I feel totally fine.  I honestly am afraid to have surgery on them because when they do go away there are always more that form shortly after.  I have found that being in my early 40's they seem to take longer to go away.  I do not want to go on birth control since I am over 35.  My sister is a doctor and says that if it were her she would pass on the surgery unless they look cancerous.  I have had a bad week and glad I found this forum.  I never thought I would say this but I can't wait for menopause.  I just want this to end.  Stay strong my friends.  I am trying to! :/