hemorrhagic cyst
I received news that I have a hemorrhagic cyst. My doctor can't see me until the 30th. My question before I get there would be, what causes this/these? And is there a way to rid them? Has anyone had experience with hemorrhagic cysts before that can share info, please? Thanks so much! Trayce K
I don't know about them--sorry, but I am sure someone will post for you who does.  In the meantime, I found a site at www.indyrad.iupui.edu.  

Good Luck!
I am doing the watch and wait.  I have two one in my ovary and one on my kidney.  I am up again for another US in June to see if the BC pills that I am on have stopped the growth or not.  I had my ca125 done and it was elevated twice.  Still have to redo that as well.  Doctor thinks its endo so I am not sure.  I think that they are benign.  Most of them are.  I am sure that someone will come along to help you some more.  

How big is yours?
Welcome to the site!  There will be plenty of ladies along to give you great info and advise.  Try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, but you are wise not to ignore your symptoms.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
hi, i also have a hemorrhagic cyst. it was discovered in december last year and i still have it now. i have just had my second laporoscopy last this month. i originally had this cyst some 18mths ago and apparently then it looked normal on the scan, then i had it rescanned and apparently it had changed shape and become irregular. this was then thought to be a hemorrhagic cyst. i had the surgery just to make sure but when i came around the sugeon said he had not done a biopsy. i was furious and now i have to make a decision as to whether to leave it and take his word that it is this type of cyst (he says he can see blood in the corner or the ovary) or have the biopsy which he tells me would mean removal of my ovary. an hemorrhagic cyst is just a term used when it is thought that the cyst has bled into itself but it can only be definately determined by surgery. no scan either tvu or ultrasound can tell the difference between this type or cyst or possible malignancy. how was your cyst diagnosed as a hemorrhagic cyst. most cysts of this typ resolve on their own but mine has been there for 18mths now and it has not resolved. i am now going to go ahead and have the surgery because only then will my mind be put at rest. i hope this helps.
I was first diagnosed, by transvaginal ultrasound, a year ago with "normal" water filled cysts. I was put on hormone creams, progesterin, and estrogen. I gained weight immediately, I couldn't sleep, and I was still hurting. 3 months later my ob/gyn had all the same tests run again. She said nothing had changed. (except for my mood swings, from being over weight (thanks to the hormone creams), tired, crabby, and in pain.)
I stopped using the creams & have dealt with the pains as much as I can. However recently I was unable to get out of bed for 2 days because I was hurting so much. On the 4th day I made it to the doctor, she had all the same tests done again. NOW she says I have the blood filled cysts. So here I am. Waiting for my next doctor's appt.
     I have no idea what she will suggest. Do you??
I saw my doc on the 30th. She seems to think I have Endo too.
Looks like I am going to do the laporoscopy in July. She is planning on removing, or draining, the cyst(s). I don't quite understand the process of the laporoscopy in detail. I'm wondering, will I be able to return to work (physical job) within a couple of days?  
    Thanks to everyone for writing! This has been helpful, especially for my nerves!
GREAT information, I too just found out today I have a cyst in both my ovaries, 1 looks to be hemrragic or endometrioma, working in a Cancer Clinic I was freaking myself WAY OUT!! I cheated and got my report of our Hospitals portal before my Dr even saw it.. Now I get to wait and see what the next steps are, mine came out of nowhere feeling good, then woke up one day in excruciating pain, ignored it, was 7 weeks late on my period and finally went in, Had my ultrasound 2 days ago.. Hurrying up to wait some more now...
So, next week I am going in for my third laproscopic surgery.  This will be the second one inside of 5 months.  Apparently, my body is continuing to develop what my doctor referrs to as hemorrhagic cysts.  I had surgery back in January to remove a hemorrhagic cyst and when I woke up, I came to find out that my fallopian tube was also removed.  The cyst was growing from inside the tube.  Six weeks after that surgery I went back for my follow up only to find that yet another cyst had developed.  I was put on the pill ( at the time we didn't know it was hemorrhagic ).  Now here I am 5 months later and ready to have surgery again in a week, only this time, my ovary is being removed as well.  
I'm told that once the ovary is removed, that will prevent any further cysts from developing on my right side.  My right side seems to be my problemed side.  My question is will the cysts now start forming on my left ?  And does anyone have any idea how or why these things form in the first place ?  Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I've had hemorrhagic cyst ruptures too.  They are painful and I understand how you feel.  Good luck.
I have suffered from cyst ruptures for a few years now.  I have had hemoragic cyst ruptures.  (you know when you see brown discharge following) They are one of the most painful feelings you can experience.  I have been to the ER twice, once becuase I had no idea I even had this problem, and the second time was because I was in intense pain and wasn't sure if it was from a cyst or  not.  It usually starts with referred pain in my back and comes around the front lower part of my abdomen.  I feel abdominal sensitivity to sitting and walking.  The first rupture was so painful that I was hyperventilating 15 minutes into the onset of pain.  The ER typically can't do anything for you but give you pain medication.  Women aren't usualy taken in for surgery as an ER patient unless they have a torched overy.  (twisted ovary) due to the size of the cyst.  I also had symptoms of very heavy periods and pain that radiated down my legs.  I have abdominal tenderness that began befor any surgeries.  I also have tenderness at the back of my cervix.  Endometriosis occures when cells like the ones that normally grow in the endometrial layer of your uterus, grow outside of your uterus.  They can even grow in your fallopian tubes.  This usually occurs when you have retrograde menstruation.  (heavy bleading that backs up into your tubes. )  Those cell growths develope scar tissue and can block your tubes off from a released egg so that you have a very hard time being able to conceive.  When a hemorrhagic cyst grows on your ovary, it can rupture.  Nomally, all women grow a cyst each month when they ovulate.  The ripened egg ruptures out of the cyst and is sent down the fallopian tube and either fertilized or sluffed off with your period.  So, it's not that cyst growth is abnormal, it when you have a cyst that is abnormally large or filled with abnormal material that is a concern.  Once you rupture a cyst, your tissues in the surrounding area absorb that fluid, causing lesions to develope in the tissue.  This is endometriosis.  You do not have to have cyst ruptures to have endometriosis, but this is one way it can spread. I had a hysterectomy last november because I had vein congestion (mass of uterine vericose veins) on my right side.  The pathology report mentioned findings of adenomyosis, (endometrial tissue that has grown deep in the uterin muscle in ball like forms), and 2 fibroids.  Two weeks later I was visiting my grandma and read from her diary that her mother had a hysterectomy at age 32 (I'm 26), from uterine cancer.  She also developed breast cancer.  I don't know that I have any risk as this is more unrelated to cancer, but knowing all the issues I had makes me curiouse.  Hope this helps someone out there. Since my great grandma's surgery was so long ago, I wonder if maybe she also had adenomyosis and they thought it to be cancer.  However, she did end up with breast cancer, so maybe it really was cancer.  It's just interesting to me because my grandma kept a daily journal for 40 years and I happened to read from this page as I was thumbing through her journal.  We were reading from her journals because we thought she was dying and wanted to find some nice stories to share with the family.
I to was just diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst. I want to know if a person can still conceive a child with this kind of cyst? And what if it ruptures? Is having a baby out of the question? Someone help me understand I LOSING MY MIND!!!
dont worry, you will still be able to have babies!! I have 4 children and have had problems with blood filled cyst for years !!  take care!!
I'm 23 and miscarried @ 9 weeks, I do not know the reason. 4 months later I found out I have a hemorrhagic Cyst, on the right ovary. I've  been trying to get pregnant, I'm playing the waiting game for the next ultrasound to see if it's gone.Will i be able to conceive with/without the cyst?
I'm 44 and am about to have a third ultrasound to reveal how my right ovary is doing. I have 2 lesions inside whereas one of them is simple and the other complex and hemorrhagic. The concern is the right ovary which has also enlarged. My doctor wants to take the ovary out if the cyst is still there. I have 2 concerns, one; why is the doctor so quick to want to take the ovary? After I said I was interested in more children she said there was the alternative of dealing with the cyst alone. Mhy second concern is the enlarged ovary. My uterus is enlarged to almost twice its size, also, because of a fibroid a little bigger than a large egg. So here we go. I have no reproductive organ cancer in the family, so how long do I live with this before I get worried? How serious do I get with a possibility of more children with my new husband (he has none) when I haven't been able to get pregnent for 14 yrs now?
I happened along this site by means of trying to pacify myself as I wait for my Dr. to get back to me with some CT scan dates and lab dates etc.  and cannot tell you how relieved I am to read that I am not losing my mind here.
I had 2 ultrasounds yesterday (1 pelvic and 1 transvag) and it showed a cyst on my left ovary...and the right ovary has nothing.  Dr. called today to confirm that she thinks its a hemorrhagic cyst.  Here's my confusion though, I have substancial pain on my right side ...it started in my back and radiates around to my lower right pelvic area.  I get "uncomfortable" sitting until I can wiggle around and find a good place and when I'm at my desk and leaning forward...forget it!
Have any of you had this same kind of "pain"?  Or should I be thinking now that I had one on the right as well and it ruptured (I read that they can rupture and the blood can just stay in your ab. cavity and not come out vaginally).

I was up all night freaking myself out so sorry if there's a bunch of typos!

Helen
I have the same situation. Did they figure out why you have pain on your right side?

Hi there Helen
Try not to freak yourself out!  I too have these cysts that come and go, and they can definitely cause symptoms like you have described, even referring pain to different sides.
I had a 5cm cyst on my right ovary and was having symptoms including terrible back and right side pain.  I have recently had an MRI which showed that the cyst has gone, but my back pain remains!  
I have now been to the physiotherapist who says that the back pain may have something to do with how I am sitting at work as well! So do look at other causes as well.  Not saying that you dismiss your cysts.....as cysts can form and disappear as we ovulate and it is good that you are keeping an eye on them, and that your doctor is watching too.but do try not to worry too much as most cysts turn out to be ok.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Peace and love....Kim
Thanks so much for telling me about the "referred pain".  I went for a CT scan this morning and am having labs tomorrow and then I see my Dr. on 5/1.

I know that we complain about our physicians a lot but, my Dr. is sooooo on it!  All I did was call her office and let her know that I was really worried about the cyst and she said "well, if you're worried, then I need to work harder to put you at ease"  It was about an hour later that her nurse called to let me know that they had scheduled the CT and labs AND moved my appointment up from May 14th to the 1st!  I am a new patient with her office because I couldn't seem to get my last doctor to listen to me about my whacko periods etc.  So maybe I'm on the right track here, finally!

I'll let you know where this all lands next week and thanks again so much for helping put my mind at ease, if nothing else, I know I'm not out here all alone!
hearts,
helen  
I had a hysterectomy (due to cervical cancer) 2 years ago but the doctor decided not to remove my right ovary because there were no problems with it.  Now I was just diagnosed with a large hemorrhagic cyst on the ovary.  I have been in alot of pain and have even gone to the extent of changing GYN doctor.   It upsets me to know that I have to undergo surgery again.  Just wanted to voice my thoughts. Peace and love Maria
In Aug. of '07 I had a 14cm dermoid tumor removed from my left ovary (as well as my left ovary and tube) - luckily it was nonmalignant.  At the time of this surgery the MD also drained a cyst on my right ovary - which was a simple cyst (there was a 15% chance that I could have had the same type of tumor on my right ovary). After the surgery it took a few months for my cycle to regulate (I was also breastfeeding so that does not help knowing what your hormonal situation is). In January of '08 I returned for an ultrasound due to intense pain on my right side - & I was diagnosed with a "bleeding" cyst, about 2.5cm (relatively small).  It is now May of '08 and the cyst is still there and the same size.  Does anyone know if having past trauma on your ovary (for example - the removal or draining of a cyst) could cause future cysts to form (obviously not simple cysts - as those are formed from egg follicles not releasing in a timely manner)...?  In addition I have been having crazy mood swings like never before (I've had two children vaginally w/o drugs - so I have some perspective on pain and mood swings).  I feel like I've hit puberty again.  I'm also hesitant to have this cyst removed & I fear that with my recent symptoms the MD will recommend this.  I'm also terrified of losing my only existing ovary during a future surgery... Has anyone had a hysterectomy and had success with hormone therapy or other natural hormone replacements?
I was just diagnosed with HC and will be having surgery and was just wondering what to expect as far as afterwards, like recovery time, hospital stay, etc.  I have a 2yr old and a 1yr old so I am hoping for little to no down time.  I had my tubes tied after my 1yr old was born (the same day) and am wondering if it is similar to that?  Thanks for any help.