Ovarian Cysts Community
laparoscopic surgery for cyst removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

laparoscopic surgery for cyst removal

I am scheduled for laparoscopic surgery, to remove a 5 cm ovarilan cyst- left ovary.  My doctor said he may have to take the ovary and tube as well, but wont know until he starts the procedure.  Is removal of the ovary common? and does it require a longer recovery time?
Hi. I'm not sure if it's common. I suspect some decisions are based on whether the patient intends to have children some day. I just has my consult a few days ago, and though only 36, I made it clear I have no intent to have children. My cyst is about 14cm and the GO is going to take the ovary and Fallopian tube. I've read a lot of forums where women have share the surgeon was able to save the ovary. It probably also depends on how the cyst is attached?? I would certainly ask your doctor, especially if it's a concern. Not sure if that helps :) best wishes with your upcoming surgery!!!
I am also having a cyst removed from my left ovary and my gyn said most likely he will have to remove the ovary too.  He told me it's normally a 3 day recovery from this surgery is it is done laparoscopically.
I don't think it is uncommon to have to remove the ovary and tube when a large cyst has formed on it. That was the case with me.

I had laparoscopic surgery about 10 months ago to have an ovarian cyst removed (an endometrioma). When my surgeon got in there, there were actually 2 endometriomas on the ovary. The ovary was damaged as was the fallopian tube, so she had to remove both the ovary and the tube as well as the endometriomas.

I don't think the removal of the ovary and tube adds to the recovery. My recovery was really easy. The only issue I had with the surgery was the anesthesia...it made me very sick (nauseous, vomiting, etc.)  But, aside from the anesthesia, I had no issues. I was expecting a lot of bloating and gas pain, but that wasn't the case. I didn't experience that. I didn't really experience a lot of pain at all.  You'll probably feel good in just a day or two.

My surgeon told me that with the removal of only one ovary I shouldn't experience any hormonal issues...and I haven't.  Apparently, the remaining  ovary takes over and everything is exactly the same as it was before the surgery.

Hope this helps. Please write back if you have any more questions. Good luck to you!