Ovarian Cysts Community
left Ovarian dermoid measuring 6 cm diameter on MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

hello!,

I am 25 year old, unmarried, Indian software engineer. Tow months ago on a routine pre employment medical checkup, I was diagnosed with a left ovarian cyst appox 190 cc on Ultrasound scan. This finding was more of an accident as I have never had any such symptoms. I have a normal 5 day menustral cycle once every 28 days. The Gynec advised an MRI. The MRI report confirmed that it was a left ovariam dermoid. My Gynec is now insisting that I get it removed as soon as possible ( when the dermoid is not interferring). She hopes that it can be removed through laproscopy, but is hesitating to confirm on the same stating that it is too huge and may be she will have to cut open to remove it.

Can this dermoid not be removed through laproscopy?
Do I indeed need hurry? Can I not wait? Is this am emergency?
Will it hinder my fertility?
What symptoms do I need to look out for?
What are the chances of another such cyst comming up in the same place?

Please suggest at the earliest,
Regards,
D
Your dermoid cyst does need to be removed and given the large size of the cyst, the doctor is correct in stating the cyst should be removed soon.  As your doctor probably advised you, a dermoid cyst can contain cells from teeth, bones, hair, and oil glands.  Should such a cyst rupture and spill its contents into your abdomen, then a severe infection could result.   The cyst can be removed without greatly affecting your ability to have children (in fact, it is my understanding that it should have no effect at all unless the ovary itself has somehow been damaged.) Remember that a severe abdominal infection  affecting the reproductive organs can cause inferility situations.

I had an endometrioma, along with my left ovary and  fallopian tube, removed last December by laparascopic surgery.  My endometrioma was considerably larger than your dermoid cyst, and the damaged ovary was enlarged as well.  I went into my surgery with the understanding that the doctor would begin with the laparascopic procedure, and only open a larger incision if she could not remove the endometrioma/ovary/tube through the smaller lap incision.

Given your age and the MRI information, it is unlikely that your dermoid cyst is cancerous.  However, in very, very, very rare cases, a dermoid cyst can be malignant, and I would make certain that the doctor has the removed cyst and contents sent to a pathologist even if the doctor does not think it is malignant.  Yes, the pathology work costs a little more, but it is worth it for your peace of mind.
Thank you so much!
I am feeling a lot more relieved!

I only hope that my doctor will be able to remove it laproscopically!!

I am going in for a second opinion today.

Thank you,
Regards,
D
Thank you all!!

I am back in office!
I got the dermoid removed through operative Laparoscopy.
It was alsomost painless and I was discharged after two days at the hospital.
I am back to work and feeling fit and fine!
it is such a relief!

I also got my HPE reports. The biopsy confirmed a benign cystic teratoma.

Thank you,
Regards,
D
My daughter is 14 years old and a CT scan shows she has a Dermoid Ovararion Cyst. She has been in pain for two weeks. The doctor wants to wait two menstral Cycles then do another CT scanin Novemeber. They perscribed pain medication for her to take for her pain. Why do they want to wait two months while she is in pain?
Great! glad you are feeling better!  Glad they took care of it with a laparoscopy only.  Good luck
Hi there, I know you must be feeling frustrated and fearful.  My daughter had a dermoid when she was only 13.  hers was big like a grapefruit and had caused appendicitis so it had to be removed immediatley when found.  I agree with you that it doesn't make sense that they would let her be in pain.  I guess the urgency might depend on how big it is.  Did they tell you how large the dermoid is now?  The biggest risk is of torsion, if the ovary twists, it can be dangerous, I would guess the bigger it is the higher the risk of that hapepening. If i were you, I would seek another opinion!   Let me know how it turns out.  Good luck  Shannon
I had problems during intercourse, so I made an appt with my OB GYN.
She did an ultrasound and found that I have a 3cm cyst on my left ovary.
She did another one in a month and a half and found out that it grew to 6cm.
She wants to do surgery. She said that it looks like a Dermoid cyst.
I went for a sec opinion. The new Dr did blook work, when the results
came back, she found tumor marker in my blood.  She is now reffering me
to a Cancer Specialist. what is the possibility that I might have Ovarian Cancer.
No one in my family has it.
No one can "guess" at your odds of having OVCA. They say alot of things about OVCA, but the one thing I know is that is does not care what age you are, if family has had it or not, whether a Dr says your odds of having it are slim to none or any of the other **** you hear.  OVCA does what it wants to and you have to be proactive.  I have a long history of O Cysts and now I have 3c OVCA.  Don't screw around and don't ever take no or wait and see as an answer.  See the GYNONC and make sure they do every test possible.  Good luck to you and stay in touch.
Jan
Apparently the powers that be decided that C_ _ P is not an appropriate word for this forum. It is not like I said S _ _ T!  I did not want anyone to think I was using shocking language.
Jan

Thank you very much for your thought. They say that tumor marker can appear in your blood
when you have a regular Dermoid Cyst, Is this correct? or Does having tumor marker means,
that you automatically have OVCA.
Hi if the doctor said it looks like a dermoid, then it probably is.  They are easier then most cysts to diagnose from ultrasound because of the things usually found in them such as hair, teeth, bone etc.  You should ask her why she thinks it is a dermoid, that might give you some peace of mind.   Yes, that and many other things can cause different "tumor markers" to be elevated.  Hope everything turns out okay for you.  Shannon
I called the Dr and she said that my CA-125, Beta HCG, and AFP came back normal.  But the LDH is 571 (abnornal).  I see that the normal range is 105-333 and she said that Grem Cell Tumor is usually present when this happen.
I had a 5cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and during surgery it had ruptured and cause my left ovary infection, so it had to be removed about 6 years ago, now I have a 3.5 cm cyst on my right ovary, and now I am afraid if it get any larger I might loose my right ovary. I have one child and would like to have another one at 41 years of age.  How large does the cyst have to be before you have surgery?? Did this ever happen to anyone?
I need re-assurance
My GYN said that they only consider removing it if it gets 5cm or bigger.  If it's smaller than that, unless it's bothering you, they will not to remove it.
Thanks I appreciate it. How are you feeling?
I am ok.  I have an another ultrasound scheduled for Monday and I have to go see a GYN Oncologist on Wednesday.  I am a bit nervous because I am now starting to feel the cyst.  It's not painful, but I can feel that it's there.  I will feel better when the doctors tell me that I don't have OV cancer.
well i had endometriosis and had a partial hysterectomy now come to find i need my ovaries removed from the cyst and cancer cell groeing within that they are going on csection i am terrified i go for it on 10/10 i am 28 years old and so afraid has anyone went through ovary removal i have to go on estrogen they said
All I had removed was my left ovary from a cyst that got infected.
Good luck with the surgery. I hope all is well
I would keep a close watch on ANY ODC ...11 years ago I found out I had one 2c in 2004 it was 2 millimeters. Last month I got terrible abdomenal (abdominal) pain . I went to ER and I now have to have surgery in 2 day it is 22 centimeters by 19 centimeters by 17 centimeters. Dont wait. They say I will have to have a 8 inch scar.
Surgery went fine, all is well The ultrasound was off a wee bit .... my Dermoid cyst ended up being well over 30 centimeters, and weighed 8 pounds 10 oz, it was not the typical hair teeth oil etc, it was mostly thyroid cells and a gummy fluid. My Dr decided to take both tubes and ovary's as I am post menopause, good thing to, the pathology report came back finally and it was strange it said it was neither malignant or benign, and most likely I could at a later date have developed ovarian cancer. But I was lucky and had a great Dr. that thought ahead and removed both ovarys. the only memory I will have is the photo they took (gross) and the 11" scar I have. I cant say this enough be diligent  have ant small cyst watched closely !
I just had a dermoid removed laproscopically from my right ovary and it was 6 cm in diameter so I know it can be done.  However, prior to the surgery they found both a dermoid AND a cyst on my left ovary, but they did not remove the left dermoid.  Granted the dermoid is small (1 cm in diameter) but if there is a chance that it may need to be removed why would they wait?  Also how will I know if they will need to remove it.  I have an ultrasound appointment in January to check it out, but I wanted to be prepared to ask questions.  
I have what the doctor thinks could be a dermoid cyst, but she's not sure and wants me back in two months to do another ultrasound. I have severe back pain and cramping... is this common? Anyone else out there expereince back pain with it?
I am 8 weeks pregnant. During an ultrasound they found a dermoid cyst of 13 cm. The doctor said that I would need to have an MRI done. Then probably a Caesarian birth, where they would also remove the cyst. Has anyone gone through a pregnancy with a cyst? Does this sound right?
My friend had her cyst & ovary removed after she had labor it was the size of the grapefruit her recovery was fine and she had another baby afterwards I am sure you have nothing to worry about as long as you have it removed.
Hello everyone,

My situation is this - 10 yrs ago I had a complex dermoid cysts approx 20 x 25cm this went undiagnosed for some time as I was 16 and not so "body aware".  It resulted in a laparotomy at which point they discovered I have another the size of a grapefruit on my other ovary.  Both cysts were removed, ovaries intact.
After being advised to go and get a scan after experiencing some pain in my pelvic area, I was shocked to find that I had another cyst, 5.5 x 5cm approx. After seeing a gyn. two weeks ago, she advised it was likely to be another complex dermoid cyst.   I now have to go to get the blood test and another scan done in 2 weeks time, with a follow up gyn. appointment a week or so later.  
What I would really appreciate knowing, is although they have told me how surgery has advanced in the last decade and I can have this cyst removed by a laparoscopy this time, I am worried that in surgery they will find this is not possible, my previous scar is huge and vertical from belly button and not bikini line cut and I have been told / read that scar tissue may mean that in surgery, they find they can not access it without puncturing the bowel and may have to revert to the full laparotomy procedure.  I was wondering if anyone had any info / expereinces of this - previously I had a live in partner and recovering was made easier by having someone around.  This time I do not and although I have friends, none that I would expect to live with me to help for a week or more after coming out of hospital.  I am really hoping that I can have the laparoscopy this time.  Also, any idea what size would be considered too big to have a laparoscopy. Sorry this is long!!!
I am having the surgery for a 5X5 cyst and from what i have been told they go in through the belly button and you come out with a regular bandaid. that sucks that you have ANOTHER one!! hope everything goes well for you!
I had large dermoid tumors removed from each ovary (one at age 13 and one at age 16)  Now at the age of 54, after an MRI for some back pain, they found an approx 6cm mass on my left ovary that the dr diagnosed as "most likely" another dermoid tumor (also had a CT scan).  

He did indicate that a laparoscopy would not be recommended in my case due to my large scars from my earlier surgeries.  I also had a C-section for one childbirth.  He said the same thing - that there is risk for puncturing the bowel.  He also wants to make sure he can remove it as a whole and not risk it breaking apart (my words) for the small chance of it being another type of tumor.  My age is a factor and I am post-menopausal, so a big difference between us there.  I now need to consider whether to get a hysterectomy as part of the same surgery so I won't deal with this again and not worry about cervical cancer possibilities - in other words, while we are in there...  I have to think on that one...  Best of luck to you.
Hi there, thanks for your comment.  Yes I recognise the differences in our situations, I hope that all goes well for you and you are as comfortable as possible with the decision you ultimately make.

See, although I dont really want the full laparotomy, I kind of wish that they could tell me that it is going to be that before the surgery as opposed to wake up and find out that I have had the open surgery.  Since writing my last post, I have had an ultrasound once more - found it has grown a small amount, mabe half a CM or so and my consultant reckons she can enter in a higher up location thru a laparoscopy and that it is unlikely that she will encounter any problems.  I am now booked in for 30th May.

Good luck for your situation, hope all goes well.

Hi. I'm 34 years old and had a my left ovary and grapefruit sized dermoid cyst removed when I was 17. In addition 8 years ago had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary leaving behind 3/4 of my ovary. Both were removed by laparotomy. A week ago they found another dermoid cyst measuring 2cm. My biggest fear is being cut open again and the ovary being removed. I don't have any children and would like to in the future. Does anyone know if the cyst could be removed by laparoscopy?
Hi there,

I have a similar situation to you (see above postings) and my current dermoid cyst is about 6cm now. My surgery reckons even with a big midline scar from previous laparotomy, that she can do it by laparoscopy this time.  I am concerned still as hear that it might be the case that they can not access it during surgery at which point it turns in to a laparotomy.  I feel like I wont know for sure til I wake up.  But I have heard about a lot of people with similar situations who have had successful laparotomy for a dermoid - even very large ones.  One thing I keep reminding myself is that both your and my previous surgery was about a decade ago and techniques have advanced a great deal. Good luck.
Hi, Ladies: I'm probably the only man to be posting here. My Wife is presently in the hospital recovering from having a 10cm dermoid cyst removed. We had a tough time finding a OBGYN oncologist to perform the surgery, because she was considered too high risk. After Hurricane Katrina hit, she had a pulmonary embolism and has DVT. So, she takes 5mg of coumadin daily. When we first got married 30 years ago, she was diagnosed with 4th stage lymphoma. She had multiple surgeries, radiation and chemo therapy. Thank goodness, for MD Anderson in Houston. My Wife, is my whole life and I'm glad to see this post of women looking out for each other. She nursed me after Vietnam, and has been an inspiration for me and many others. We took in 20 'pets' after Katrina. My Wife was a GM for a big gov't contractor and was dumped on 12/31/2007. It so happens that she mentioned at Christmas to a co-worker about her impending surgery. It took 18 years for her to work her way up from the bottom, and in no time was let go! Please, take my advise. I'm sure you know that women are not treated well in the work force, when they get to middle age and need medical attention. We live in a state where you can't fight it. They just will use the economy as an excuse and replace you. Keep your health as private as possible, which can be difficult. I wish all you, the best of luck.
I had lower abdomen pain for about three weeks now. I had an ultrasound and the results came back that I have a dermoid cyst.  Even though the risk of cancer is rare, I am still paranoid.  I will find out tomorrow if I am getting the surgery. My family doctor referred me back to my OBGYN.  She told me it could be serious. Is the surgery for this invasive?  What is the recovery for time frame, ect....... Thanks!

Alana
Oh and I am 31 years old.
Hi there
Went to my OBGYN concerned about my vaginal prolapse told I had a rectocele and could be repaired he wanted to investigate my ovaries which I was fine with seeing I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago but ovaries stayed and you do think about ovarian Ca. U/sound found 8cm dermoid cyst surgery booked for a laproscopic procedure unfortunately my ovaries were attached to my uterers so I ended up having open surgery (bikini line) 7 inches and both ovaries removed. With the prolapse repair I had a episotomy (cut the vaginal opening) so you can imagine it felt like I had given birth both ways. The first day I felt terrible but I do believe it was the drugs stopped taking them was only having anti-inflammatories. I felt quite uncomfortable for about 5 days then slowly started improving by the 3rd week I felt nearly normal I found the more I moved the better I felt. I have to have 6 weeks off work and in that time frame no heavy lifting. My Dr told me that dermoid cysts aren't uncommon and they are not just restricted to the ovaries they do grow on other parts of the body, very very rarely are they malignant. Men also get dermoid cysts and apparently more commonly their cysts are malignant. So be positive you will be fine take it easy and listen to your body. Good luck
Jayne from Australia
Hi i am a 32 year old, 14 weeks preganant and have a 8.2cm dermoid  cyst on my left ovary which it has growen 1cm in the last month. I dont know much about them but what i have been reading is my baby be ok. or can they operate while im preganant. im a bit scared.  I get a bit of pain but not much  Wendy
My mom was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with epithelial cell ovarian CA.  She had a total hystorectomy and double oophrectomy as well as her omentun removed.  There were residual microscopic cells in her abdominal washings and she ended up going for chemo.  She has since been okay although we jump at the prospect of any symptom or complaint she has..(which aren't many as she is a tough lady.)  They give you half in half survival rates for 5 years.

As her daughter, I have been checked via U/S fairly regularuly.  I had one in November and got a call from the dr. wanting me to get another one a few months down the road as they had seen a normal ovarian cyst on my left ovary but with another echogenic focus (Unknown and undetermined tissue)  I went this past Monday for another U/S  It took forever.  Then I get a call from my own doctor 48 hours later saying she is sending me for an urgent MRI.  She says it may be a dermoid cyst but with my mom's cancer history she wants to get it taken care of ASAP!!

I work in a hospital with the newborn babies and mom's.  Lots of access to the OB/GYN's so I will hopefully be able to get a doctor to see me and do surgery soon.  I have 2 beautiful kids and am done with childbearing.  Just whatever isa safest to live a great deal longer and be there for my kids.

I have heard that ovarian dermois are quite rare.  SO is ovarian cancer.  Make sure you all get checked regularly....  It is known as the silent whisperer as it has no symptoms until it too late.
I have also been diagnosed with ovarian cancer based on an ultrasound and a cancer marker, but haven't had any symptoms like cramping, bleeding or bloating, but I am scheduled to be operated ASAP.  I have had ovarian cysts for a few years and since they didn't bother me the doctor didn't do anything, but on the last ultrasound they had grown so he says I need to have surgery, a laparotomy to take samples and rule out any malignancies.  It's scary since I will not know the outcome of the surgery until I wake up and I haven't had any kids.  I have done research and talked to other doctors who believe it's benign and I am praying that it is.  So, my advice is preferably to get checked regularly before it's too late.  Best wishes to all.

Neta
Hi, everyone I am 31 years, and have just been dianosed with my second dermoid cyst. First time round ( 4 years exactly) i  didn't have time to dwell on it, I was to and from the doctor from feb 04 with diferent problems, unbeleivably painful periods, constipation, loss of feeling in my legs, back pain, frequent accidental overdoses, as I was so desperate to cure the pain, couldn't eat felt so tired and week I lost inches ( size 12 down to an 8! ) but couldn't work out why I had gained 2 stone! So I threw my scale away, they had to be broken I told myself! Doctors prescibed all sorts, told me all sorts, allergic to ibuprufen, constipation ,cyactica, run down even depressed! The closet anyone came was a nurse at my surgery. All the doctors were to busy to see me and she kindly agreed to see me I needed reassurance. I'm my own worst enemy though on 2 occations in those long 9 weeks I was bed ridden couldn't move crippled with pain because I didn't want my husband  to call an ambulance as it would of ment missing 2 of my daughters birthdays (18 and 20 April) insead I chose to stay in bed preying for the pain to go but it didn't my heart was breaking I needed  to leave the girls but i couldn't i wanted to be with them and couldn't spoil them. Anyway back to the nurse she said to me to go back in a week if there was still no change she would sweep my tubes.
I was rushed into hospital on may bank holiday my body had had enough, first it was appendisitus, then i was 9 months pregnant about to give birth, a scan finally showed I had a large cyst it had wrapped itself around all my internal organs and what i wasn't strangling it was crushing. It turned out to be the size of a rugby ball. just imagine somthing of that size in a small frame it scares the hell out if me. I had my left tube and ovary removed my surgeon was great as he said an older woman or a different doctor it would of been an hysterectamy!
Any my new one is 5cm I had a lot of similar feeling I had for probably a couple of years before the removale of the first, so discided to get it checked out I couldn't bear to get to that stage again, so the result  has came as no shock really so why do I feel so scared, I have 4 daughters, my youngest 2 years old born and conceived in between cysts.
i am 32 years old and was diagnosed with enlarged right ovary (15 cm) a couple weeks ago. I am having my surgery in a week. The doctor will cut me open, since the mass is too big and has separations in it. My tests, so far, show that the walls around the mass are smooth and I have no family history of any kind of cancer. Despite I am terrified and the news about the enlarged ovary came as a shock because i never had any pains of whatsoever. The mass was discovered during my PAP testing. As long as the mass is a cyst and not anything else and as long as i can have a baby, I guess I can live with the scar.
I am so confused I was diagnosed with a dermoid tumor.  10 years ago I had 1 removed at child birth and everything seemed to be going fine until I started having pain during my periods and ovulation.  All the symptoms went straight to OVC.  My mom had OVC so I knew all the symptoms.  My ultrasound shows an enlarged ovary 5.0 X 4.7 X 5.5. cm.  Compared to my right ovary that is 2.6 X 3.4 X 3.4 cm that is a big difference.  The dermoid or mass is 3.5 X 3.6 X 4.7 cm with central necrosis.  The doctor does not want to remove it because it's not bigger than 5cm.  Am I imagining the pain.  So basically I have to live with this pain until it gets to 5 cm.  Has anyone removed theirs before it reached 5cm.
Get a 2nd opinion.  Extreme pain can happen with very small cysts while no pain can occur with very large.  It is very individual and depends on the makeup of the person and how the cyst is situated in the ovary and as it presses on other organs.  I had a doctor tell me that a 16 cm cyst and a 7 cm fibroid shouldn't cause me any pain.  Bull!

Good luck with everything!
Trudie
Thanks Trudie, It's very reassuring knowing that I'm not imagining the pain.
My daughter, age 12 was diagnosed with a dermoid tumor/cyst.  Can anyone recommend where & how to search for a pediatric Gyn/Surgeon specialist?  I haven't a clue where to start.
I don't have an answer for you but you will have better success if you create your own posting.  By adding to an old one people see the responses and are likely to assume it has been taken care of.  Good luck with everything.
Hi everyone. My gyno just told me that I have a dermoid cyst near my left ovary. She said the size is 4 cm and she suggests an operation to have it removed. She told me that if I don't have it removed, it could cause a rupture or torsion. And i don't want that as it may cause infection. I'm 24 years old and i still want to have kids. My dr said since the dermoid cyst is not attached to my left ovary, she can preserve both my ovaries. I'm just wondering if I should have it removed as soon as possible because from what I read from the posts, most doctors don't suggest surgery yet not until the size is 5 cm. Does it really have to reach that size before I should have an operation? Should I have MRI or CT scan done? Thanks. I'm glad there is a forum here where women post what they are going through with dermoid cyst.

Cha
Hay Guys. Today i was diagnossed with what coulp Possible be a dermoid Cyst, its 2 cm in diameter and my doctor said all i can do is wait 6 months and have another ultrasound to confirm.. But i want it out now no matter what it is LOL>.. does it sound right that i have to wait for 6 months jut to have my tests re run??
I had an 8 cm ovarian cyst removed yesterday, and they took the ovary with it as well.. I feel like i've been hit bya truck in the abdominal area, but imagine that is normal less than 24 hours after surgery. I am amazed how fast they force you on your feet and out of the hospital with outpatient surgery. I was very nauseated so thye gave me an injection of phenegran and still sent me on my way. They gave my husband photos of the cyst and my insides - very graphic! The cyst looked like a bulgy sac,white and blood vessell-y, but the doc states likely benign. It's amazing they can get a big cyst out of such a tiny incision, but maybe that's why I am so sore, all the tugging etc. 2 incisions are small but one on the oppisite side o fthe removed is about an inch. I mainly have menstrual like pain, and a little at the incisions. What will the loss of only one ovary mean to a pre-menpausal woman?
I found out last week that I have an 18cm ovarian cyst on my right side. I have no insurance and I still don't know what type of cyst it is. I don't want to get my self to worried because of the insurance situation. Any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Oh dear, 18cm is big no matter what type it is. That is 7 inches!  Even benign (likely) it is just too big to stay with you!
Hi ... I had my first dermoid surgery in 2000, the cysts were on both ovaries...it was supposed to be laproscopic but when i woke up i had been cut along the bikini line, apparently they had grown too big...i had my son in 2006 and another dermoid surgery in 2007 for just my left ovary that was laproscopic... the dr told me there was risk of losing the ovary due to scaring but she was able to save it... today i found out that i have another dermoid cyst on my left ovary and i have an appt tomorrow to see the GYN...  I am hoping for no surgery this time but i have been in pain... i am afarid of losing the ovary this time... i already have so many hormonal issues as is...
Hi I just discovered I have a 7cm cyst on my right ovary and ive been bleeding for 3 weeks now. The doctors said I just need to take Birth control pills for 6 months. Is this true?
hey guys im so scared.. i just had an ultra sound/pelvic exam and they found a 6cm cyst on my left ovary... i had one about a year ago that was so small and they said it would clear up on its own.. guess it never did. ! im freaking out.. they said it can fall over and crush the blood to my ovary and have to have emergency surgery and take out my ovary and can also burst and bleed.... and since its so big im sure im gunna have to have surgery im a HEALTHY 21 year old girl.. iVE never even had a IV drip... i never been in the hospital.. im so so so so nervous.. i cant even lay on my left side cause im so nervous it will fall over... i have SOME pain during peeing and some dull pain.. that why i had the test.. ! PLEASE someone help me :(.. im gunna go see my OBGYN as directed on monday... =/ ugh
AND WHAT IF ITS CANCER : (!!!!!!!!!!
I have an  6.5 cm X 7.4 cm Cystadenoma on my left ovary. I will appreciate if somebody has any experience in Robotic (Da Vinci)  surgery to remove the ovary and the cyst? One of the gynocologist suggesting robotic surgery whereas another suggesting an open surgery. Any suggestions?

Rupat
For the past 6 months I have been having lower right sided abd/pelvic pain.  Drs thought that I may have gallstones.  Had US which showed that I do have gallstones (but this was not the cause of my pain/problem).  Initially, Dr wanted to go ahead and sched. surgery until I explained to them (family dr & surgeon)  that my pain was not symptomatic of gallstone pain.  After my continued insistency (during this meeting)  that something else was wrong I was sent for a CT and they found a 7cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and 3.5cm cyst on my right ovary.  Surgery is scheduled for 2/8/10 for a oophorectomy of my left ovary and possible oophorectomy of the right.  My point is ladies you know your body better than anyone else.  If you are not comfortable with your first consultation go else where.  I was lucky because they did LISTEN to what I was saying  and they didn't go by what the US film showed.
Good luck on your surgery Insistent...i also have a 3.5 cm cyst on my right ovary which is causing me a lot of pain. I saw several doctors and they said I have to wait and I did an abdominal/pelvic CT scan, transvaginal ultrasound and the CA125 and all came out normal but only the cyst was noted i wanted to be sure that it wasn't OVC but I'm still not at ease.
Someone please answer me, could a cyst so small cause soooo much pain and irregularities in cycles and pain after intercouses
hi i have a 5 cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary, im only 25 years old and im scared. my gyne said it they couldnt determined if it is benign or malignant due to non-borderline sonologic features
Hi i also have a large 18cm cyst on my left ovary and a 3cm fibroid in my uterus...I found this out through a vaginal ultra sound 2 weeks ago, now I am waiting for an appointment with the Gyno, im not sure what sort of cyst this is and i also feel like im 6mths pregnant!!! Has anyone else with ovarian cyst put on overall weight??? i have put on over 12kgs in the past 2 years even though i exercise and eat very well, I am a  young 44 (haha) and find the weight gain very depressing!! I am hoping when this alien is removed my weight will settle, has anyone had this happen????
Hi, I am 38yrs old, and just had a 8cm dermoid cyst removed a week ago. I had no pain before the "attack". I sneezed on Tues at work and felt something pop. Wed my youngest daughter was sick so I was preoccupied with her(thought cramps were period related) woke up Thurs morning feeling like something was trying to cut my left leg off!! I was sent by ambulance from my family MD to hospital. After no pain relief with every med on earth, they did a CT scan. I was told it was some kind of tumor on my Right ovarie. (I hurt on left?) Then they did an ultrasound and called my OB/GYN. He did surgery that night an hour later. Surgery took about 1hr1/2 and I was cut from my belly button to my pubic bone!  It turned out to be one the largest Dermoids my MD had ever seen On my LEFTovary extending to my right--- path test showed it was benign! The recovery has been hard and painful. However, the pain from the cyst was much greater and my MD says  it was twisted and about to rupture. The sneeze saved my life. And yes, I can tell the tumor is gone. Funny I didn't know that it was there.
Hi, I'm 21 years old and have been to the ER recently for a dermoid, but they refused to remove it in the ER, even though it was 10cm and was twisting causing me great pain which couldn't be dulled even by the highest dose of morphine that they could give me.

Now the doctor that I'm seeing says that it needs to be removed as soon as possible, and that it's most likely not going to be able to be removed laprascopically because of it's size.  I see that yours was removed through open surgery.  Was that simply because it needed to be removed right then, or was it because of the size.

The doctor was getting a second opinion, and he has yet to get back to me, I'd like to know my chances of it being an outpatient procedure.
hi im a 17 year old girl and was diagnosed with a cyst on my right ovaries... i have been to the hospital and had scans done but no one really told me anything apart from that it was quite big :/ i have been to my doctor and asked her to explain about it... but she rushed me out of the door....  both my mum and granny have polly cystic ovaries but that didnt happen untill later on in there life.... is there any possobility that i might end up with this to ??? i am also quite scared that i will never be able to have kids if this doesnt get sorted.... im in alot of pain and nothing seams to take it away.... me and my long term boyfriend arient quite ready to have kids.. but weve been told that we might have to start soon has anybody got any advice ???

thanks  :) xxx
hello.

I am 21 years old. Early may i woke up with this sharp pain in my lower pelvic area. i wasnt going to go to the E.R but decided i should just to be safe. once there my blood was taken and they gave me a urine sample, as well as an ultra sound. the urine came out clean, however the ultra sound showed that i had what the doctor referred to as "a complex mass" on my left ovary.

i then made an appt with my GYNO and was given another ultra sound, when the rersults came back she had said that surgery was un nessecary at the time but that she wanted me to follow up in 2 months and have another ultrasound done.

so almost a week ago i had the follow up ultra sound, and the next day she calls me and explains that i have a Dermoid cyst on my left ovary and that it would need to be surgically removed. however when she put in the request for approval to my insurence she did not sent as urgent.

should i be concered that she isnt eager to have this thing from me removed as soon as possible? how quickly can i grow?

any information on the danger of waiting to have it removed would be greatly appriciated. the only measurments i was given were of the ultra sound back in my at the E.R which were: LT Ovary 5.0x3.7x2.6cm is this bad?
It's important to get it out, but waiting even a few weeks really shouldn't be a huge concern. I discovered my dermoid when I was 28 and had gone in for a regular pap ... which I hadn't had for a very long time before that. THAT doctor was a bit of an idiot tho, and instead of getting me in for a ultrasound ASAP he put me on depo and told me to come back in three months. At the three month mark, he recommended surgery but didn't even set up an appointment or ultrasound for me. This was right before Christmas, so since I was going home I made an appointment with my hometown doctor who did the surgery for my sister's cysts when she was 13&14. He asked what the Ultrasound said. When I told him I hadn't had one yet, he told me straight out to find a new doctor. After i told the doc my family history, one should have been done immediately.

I had the surgery the first week of February. When the new doctor went in -- she found two on the left side that NONE of the drs or the ultrasound diagnosed, and the one on the right was splitting the ovary in two. My doctor said I would probably hit menopause early, so here I am at 39 and just starting peri menopause now
Hello~ I have a Dermoid tumor on left ovary that is 6.6cm and another one they think is a demoid cyst on the other ovary!  The Doc wants to open me up at my previous C-section scar and take both ovaries and then do a total hysterectomy on me!

Is it common to perform a total hysterectomy when you are being opened up for Dermoid Cyst removal?  And is removal of the entire ovary necessary too?

I don't know what to do......the Doc says since I won't have my Ovaries anymore, then I won't be needing my uterus/cervix anymore either.

Am I just asking for more problems down the line by having a total hysterectomy done?  Should I seek a second opinion?  And what about menopause if they take out both my ovaries......should I have treatment ready for that after I have the surgery?

So much to consider and would welcome some advice!  Thanks

Did you decide on the hysterectomy?  I'm 52 and just found I have dermoid cysts on both ovaries about 5cm in size each.  Dr. suggests removing cysts and ovaries, but I have to decide on uterus or not.