Ovarian Cysts Community
left lower abd/pelvic pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

left lower abd/pelvic pain

I'm 28 y/o, have 3 kids, youngest will be 1 in 2 wks!

I've had left lower abd/pelvic pain for over 1 year now.

It started during pregnancy so the ob told me it was baby related....
Gave it a few mos postpartum, no improvement maybe worse, still abt to perform as usual but I see my gyn about it anyway, u/s is neg, all cultures std testing is negative, referred to GI.
Mos later my period starts (I breastfed for 7mos), my cycle was heavy, very painful...just got another u/s (abd and vag) and awaiting results, my gyn reccommends an exploratory laparoscopy. I'm nervous they will find nothing still.

Any words of advice? Similar situations?
hi there

Yes I am in a very similar situation to you apart from the fact my third child is now 12 and not one lol

I have had lower left abdominal pain for four months unbearable but prior to that painful but didn't use painkillers

I am having my third ultrasound on monday and am also due to have a laparoscopy.

I am almost certain that I have endometriosis as it usually starts in the left ovary.  It would also explain why it doesn't show anything apart from the odd ovarian cyst on my ovaries.

Don't worry too much about the surgery

You may find you have either endometriosis or an internal hernia (caused by weakend muscles during pregnancy)

Whatever it is I am sure you will finally know and get it sorted soon xx
Thanks so much for the reply!

Nice to know someone exists in cyber world!

My mom had ovarian cysts for years, then finally endo which lead to a complete hysterectomy....I guess I'm kinda of destined for some gyn issues?

I've never thought about the hernia!  Good point!

I also forgot to mention that I have nausea 24/7, this started 2 mos ago. And the pain is always on my left groin/lower abd but sometimes radiates to the right or central abd and thighs, and lower back.

Ill be going back to my gyn the end of next wk for u/s results and surgery discussion....wish me luck as I do you!
Hi there

Yes good luck to you with your results too.!

I reread my post and I meant to say the scans didn't show anything except cysts.    lol   (as endometriosis is usually only diagnosed at the laparoscopy stage)  
my consultant thinks I haven't got it because I had children but only 40% of people with endometriosis are infertile!!!

I am going to phone up the hospital next week and try to change my surgeon to an endo specialist as have read some horror stories on here lol

xx
Horror stories?!....oh no!...ill have to continue my research! My surgeon is the same gyn I see annually for paps and obstetrics....yikes! Lol!
Hi there

Lol its not that bad really just that endometriosis is hard to spot and even harder to surgically remove so some surgeons just take the remove your ovaries or remove your uterus option rather than just take out the endometriosis because they are not fully trained in that field to do it properly. I just want to keep all my organs thanks very much thats all lol

Oh and my lower left abdominal pain often radiates to my lower back and down between my legs too.  

xxxx

sorry to scare you   xx
It's not scaring it's giving the big picture.  Make sure you have all the facts... Even a second opinion if you need.  Good luck ladies
hi there

Just had my ultrasound( internal) and  though it is really painful again now on the left side  she was extremely gentle like I told her to be. She couldn't find anything on my ovaries but she did say my left ovary was wrapped around the back of my uterus!!!!!

Hmmm sounds even more like endometriosis now !!!  Am trying to get my results in a week rather than waiting 4 weeks for my appointment so that I can get my operation done sooner . Have got to phone up tomorrow about changing my surgeon (I got the telephone number to ring while I was there)

ps thanks medmess lol  
I am 28 years old and have been dealing with ovarian cysts since I was 15... getting close to half my life now.  While I have had years inbetween each rupture, the last 5 years seem to be getting worse.  I had a 7cm cyst on my left ovary rupture about 5 years ago, at that time when they did the ultrasounds they found a "chocolate" cyst on my right ovary.  They told me (and since I have tlaked to Doctors who have proclaimed this man an idiot) that it is a medical fact that women with ovarian cysts never have more than 2 rupture in their lifetime, this was my third not counting the "chocolate" cyst. I decided not to go through with the surgery he wanted to do because I had talked to other women who went to him for exploratory surgery like he wanted to do with me, and they came out of surgery missing one or both ovaries. I graduated college, and put it behind me, but about 2 weeks ago it has started again. I suspect I have had a couple little ones (1cm is my guess due to the small amount of pain afterward in comparison) rupture, but everytime I go to the OB they tell me they don't see anything or feel anything in the pelvic exam and they just tell me to take Ibuprofen if I feel pain.  2 weeks ago, while sitting in class at my law school I had one rupture on my left side during class.  I went the very next day (1st available appt) to my new OB/GYN and she did an ultra-sound and found a cyst on my right ovary about the size of a small apple she said.  She told me it is a functional cyst and that it is "bleeding into itself" which she said could be painful, but not to worry about it.  She told me just to go get it rescanned in December.  This was all well and good with me because I knew from experience that it would either rupture or shrink up on its own. Now I am worried though because after a few days I was feeling better, no pain for two days straight, figured I was in the clear.  Then all of a sudden last Friday when I got home from classes it happened again, on the left side.  When she did the ultrasound she couldn't even find my left ovary but found something to the left (which really didnt look like anything to me) and said "I think thats your ovary."  I have read horror stories from women whose cyst was so big that they didn't see it all on the ultrasound because it had attached itself to the wall of their abdomens.  I am really scared that this is what happened to me.  In the last two days/three nights I have been having horrific pain in my lower back, one either side at a time, but never both sides.  I was really scared that it could be something wrong with my kidneys, but instinctually convinced myself it was because of the ovary.  I don't know what to do because I've already had Doctors tell me its in my head, that they didn't see anything so there's nothing there.  I'm, unfortunately, an HMO subscriber and don't have choices of doctors to go to.  I go to a large hospital chain where everything's in the computers and they always re-diagnose whatever the previous doctor had done.  They never stray or contradict each other (at least so far in my experience).  I can't study on heavy pain killers, but neither the naproxen nor the ibuprofen are helping with the pain.  I am missing my second day of classes today because of this pain and we're only allowed 4 absenses before being dropped from the class (each class costs about $4000/semester).  The pain in my back seems to be the worst when I'm lying on my side, or walking and radiates straight through my hip joints (which are frequently in pain anyway due to  unrelated issues) and feels like nothing else I've ever felt!  I was seriously starting to think this was all in my head, but now I see many other women with the same pain. What have any of you said to your doctors to get them to realize the severity of this problem and show them that its not just in your heads?
hi

A chocolate cyst is a endometrioma (endometriosis of the ovary ) and if this ruptures the contents will spill into your pelvic cavity and organs and cause more painful adhesions . Have you definately had this confirmed ???

Sounds like you have to get a laparoscopy

Good luck xx
thanks, i never found out what happened to the chocolate cyst, it never ruptured (at least i never felt it rupture, and i'm SURE i would have) But the one she found on my right ovary now she said is a functional cyst bleeding into itself.  I had told her about the "chocolate" one before she started the u/s so i figured she'd be looking for signs of that while doing the u/s.  
When the Dr had told me to come back in Dec. I was fine with that (mainly bc my classes are SO intense that I don't have time to deal with it really til end of this semester) but not the pain is making me miss classes. I'm just scared that if I make another appt that they'll just tell me to keep waiting. :/
Omg! That sounds horribly painful! I hope the surgery comes sooner than later. What will your arrangements be for home/work?

@amyloudit "in your head" ha! But seriously, I've been feeling the same way. When each time I go to the dr they tell me "I don't feel anything on exam" or "your results are 100% normal" its so frustrating. But this forum is very reassuring. So will you still wait til Dec to move forward?

Its so unfortunate that we must put our health aside for school/work/family/WHATEVER! Its the same with me.
I'm going to wait and see how I feel in the morning.  I have the Implanon implant which apparently does not protect against ovarian cysts, so I was going to wait til Dec to get that removed from my arm and go back on the ortho tri cyclen (and pray for no migraines this time), but if I still can't walk more then 15 feet before I'm in pain again then yea, I'm calling tomorrow to get another appt.  I've never had back pain like this associated with it and my last one they said was 7cm so...i would think since this one was 5cm it shouldn't be causing back pain...unless it blew up and got way bigger over the last 2 weeks, so...we'll see.  I get really frustrated with that too, and it makes me not even want to bother going in to the doctor's at all. I'm so glad I found this site, it really helps to know that other women feel this too, and that I can go into the doc, I just have to remember other women feel this and are told the same things I am being told. I think OB/GYNs don't know (research wise) as much as they want us to think they do sometimes, to me its still a very newly developing field. Thanks for your support, keep us all posted on how things are progressing for you too!
Never go by an internal I have had three seperate ob/gyns tell me that they didn't feel a cyst on my left ovary..however they found an 8cm dermoid on us...and an apple size cyst like yours can cause pain