Ovarian Cysts Community
multiple complex cysts seen on abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

In July of 2008 I was found to have an enlarged left ovary to a little over 5 cm with several complex cysts on it. My right ovary was smaller and had some simple cysts on it. I had a second ultrasound 2 days ago and my left ovary remains above 5 cm with several complex cysts and the right ovary has again simple cysts.

I have been searching the net to find out more about complex cysts and several times have seen the recomendation of getting complex cysts checked for cancer. I have a followup ultrasound in 3 months, which will be my third. I understand my doctor is monitoring my ovaries and cysts to see if they change in size, which so far has not changed either way.

Do I need to request these complex cysts be checked for cancer?

Thanks.
Thanks for the welcome
Hi there.  Sometimes a complex cyst will resolve itself.  We normally don't recommend that you wait beyond 3 months.  If the cyst is still there it is time to get it removed.  What would happen is they would give you a CA-125 test which is an ovarian cancer marker.  However, it is not reliable in pre-menopausal women.  You can have false negatives and a positive reading can also indicate endometriosis, an infection, and sometimes just the cyst.  They cannot rule out cancer without biopsying the cyst and that means removal via laparoscope.  Insist that your doctor rule out cancer (over 95% of cysts are benign).  Please keep us posted.
Thank you for your advice. You've confirmed my gut feeling. I will give my doctor a call today.  
hi

when you say 95 of all cysts are benign - does that mean all cysts including copmlex and irregular ones or just simple cysts ? if so that is pretty good odds

thanks - we all appreciate your knowledge and understanding

thanks again
As far as I know it covers them all.  The odds are good.
Hi Trudie - I have been on here a bit with various questions, most of which have been answered and I'm grateful for all the advice, but I still remain confused and concerned about the possibility of them not having found cancer.

I was diagnosed after an ultrasound scan with bilateral cysts (1 clear 4cm and 1 complex 6cm) following an attack of severe pain and admission to A&E.  I had a laparoscopy a few weeks later and they found extensive endometriosis which they are now treating over several months with hormone by means of Mirena Coil.  I'm still having syptoms (symptoms) and these are not like period pain - I've been advised I may have endo over many years because of heavy and painful periods,but this pain is different.  They couldn't get to the ovaries to see them or test them but the surgeon says he's confident it's just endo.

I've read a lot on this site and I have 13 of the 14 symptoms for ovarian cancer - I never had this pain before my attack and it's totally different to period pain.  I also had a normal CA125 test - and surely that's can't be right if it is sometimes an indicator of endo as this has been found to be extensive.

I am wondering whether the test could be wrong (I'm 47 and pre meno) and whether I should push for further tests or just be patient and try and let the hormone treatment shrink the endo.  It is constantly on my mind and I don't feel I can get on with my life

Hellen