Ovarian Cysts Community
new simple cyst just 4 months after cystectomy - UGH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

In August, I went to the gyno for pain and they discovered a 4 cm cyst.  We did "wait and see" for four weeks, and in that time it doubled.  By the time I had laproscopy to get it out (due to pain) it was almost twice as big as my uterus.  The surgery, while completely sucky, went okay and as soon as I recovered, all the cyst related symptoms were gone.

But now, just four months later, I started getting them again. For me it's:

constant pain (burning/cramping) in lower right side, lower back
having to urinate all the time
pain with full bladder
pain with bm's
nausea

Went on Wednesday and I already have another 4 cm cyst on the same ovary. This time the tech said she saw some "free fluid" around it so MAYBE it's leaking.  Doc wants to wait 8 weeks and see.  I agree, since I don't want surgery again (if anything because it cost me a fortune).  We're trying a different BC.

I'm already on the pill, so I'm so shocked and discouraged that I have another cyst again already.  I'm 31, 2 kids, and have never experienced this before.  Doc says with second surgery, he'll probably take the ovary as a preventative measure.

I'm just looking for advice, and wondering if anyone has had the same experience.  Is there anything I can do to try to shrink this sucker on its own?  I'm up for anything, diet change, acupuncture.  right now I'm on aleve every day, but the pain is there all the time.  
Your gyno could recommend stronger hormones to help shrink it. I've had three cysts and two surgeries, but have never had a doctor even think of removing an entire ovary for "preventative measures". Usually, cysts don't require surgery until the 5 cm mark. Be patient with the BC. I had to try four different ones before I found one to shrink my last cyst...the only one that hasn't required surgery! Get a second opinion, unless you want to deal with the cost of an oophorectomy.
Thank you!  Mine was over 8 cm in September when they removed it, and it evidently had an abnormally thick skin.  The BC I am starting soon is a higher hormone than the Ortho-Tri I've been on.

He said they'd only do the surgery again it if keeps growing the way the first one did.  (That one doubled in size in four weeks.)

I appreciate the encouragement, I'll try to be patient.  Do yours keep hurting while you're trying different things to shrink it?
I understand! I had a 10cm cyst on my left ovary had surgery and they had to remove ovary and cyst. A yr later a new cyst on my right 7cm, so sugery again, this time they found I had a pretty extensive case of endromesiosis which i was told that could of caused a lot of the pelvic pain and bowel pain i was having. But now the last 5 months I've been dealing with yet another cyst on my right ovary only 5 3/4cm now. Pelvic pain, bowel pain, pain with sex sometimes is all back! I'm having another ultrasound in 3 mo to check on cyst, although if my pain continues like it is today I'm going sooner...I'm probably having a hysterectomy because I'm not planning to have more kids and I want the pain gone and no more surgeries! I haven't tried any ways to get rid of them, what I've read and what my dr has said there isn't much that works. I'm just worried about whaty hormones will be like after hysterectomy...

Good luck!
Yes it is definitely painful while they shrink, almost more so at times. Good luck!!!