Ovarian Cysts Community
odds of malignancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

odds of malignancy

I am having surgery tomorrow - 9cm ovarian cyst complex - got 3 opinions and bloodwork which was slightly elevated. There is no history of cancer in my family but I am 64 and had a partial hysterectomy in 1984 due to a precancerous pap.
I have pain on my right side for months even though the cyst is on my left side.
I am very concerned about the possibility of cancer due to my age and the bloodwork and pain ????  Physician removing cyst and both ovaries.
Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you are going through this! Most ovarian cysts even after menopause are benign. Absent a family history, a woman's lifetime risk is less than 2%. The CA125 test can be elevated for benign conditions so it is not a good indicator of ovarian cancer. It is not unusual that you have been in pain with this 9cm cyst.

I also lost both ovaries (and my uterus and tubes) for a 9cm benign ovarian cyst. My gynecologist should  have removed just the cyst and sewn me back up when the frozen section came back benign. Unfortunately, women's organs are too often removed unnecessarily.

I hope your surgery goes well! Please post back and let us know how you are doing.