Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cyst 6 cm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cyst 6 cm

Hi, I am Savita of 28 yrs old. In the month of June 08, both my ovaries were normal without any sign of cyst. However,in Aug08, doctor detected a ovarian simple cyst of 6cm in my left ovary, Actually, I feel something moving on my right side, whereas doctor says that its in left ovary. I have been advised to go for surgery - laproscopy since according to doctor 6 cm is fairly large size. I asked doctor to wait for sometime and she has given me a dose of total 42  pills of oral contraceptive + harmone pills to be taken at night for next 21 days. She has also asked me to do CA125, however she also told me that it can give false results. I just wished to know, is there any other option than surgery to cure my cyst? is it really big one?
Hi there.  Doctors usually follow the rule that bigger than 5 cm and out it comes.  Since it is a simple cyst and you are not having symptoms it might be OK to wait a month or two and have another transvaginal ultrasound to see if the cyst has resolved on its own.  I'm not sure if larger ones do this or not.  Cysts can refer pain so feeling it on the right is possible even though it is on the left.  There is some good info on the health pages (top right) about cysts, symptoms and the CA-125 test.  Unfortunately there is no cure other than surgery unless it resolves itself.  Be careful though.  Larger cysts can twist (torsion) or burst which can cause a medical emergency.  If you begin to feel considerable pain do get to the ER.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
Hi there
6cm is considered good size (picture a tangerine).  The bigger they get the more concerned doctors get usually because they can twist etc as Trudie mentioned above.   If they are saying it is a 'simple' cyst (ie/ fluid only - nothing else) then the bc pills may take care of it because it would just be considered a functional cyst which women make every month (not everyone is scanned monthly so not everyone knows how big their cysts get unless they keep growing and cause pain enough to get checked out).  If it is still there after the pills I would have the surgery if that is what they advise.  Laparoscopic - although still surgery - is much less in terms of recovery time and often this is how these cysts can be removed.   I had a 7 cm complex cyst removed that way 2+ yrs ago.
I had a 10 cm cyst removed this year laparoscopically. It was on my left side but I felt some sharp twinges on the right side as well. The first thing I asked after the surgery was "How does my right ovary look?" She said it was just fine. Funny how that discomfort can show up in other places.
wow Ireneo - that is strange, but makes me feel better as I have occasional twinges on the right side but my cyst is on the left!

Savita- there are many stories on here of ladies with 'large' cysts going away, but obviously as Trudie says you have to watch for torsion- my doc has told me (I have a 5cm) to not do any gym exercise and avoid roller-coasters!!!

good luck and best wishes.
    Can't say it any better than the rest ...Good luck and keep us posted and do check out the "Health Pages " top right of this page..

Take care,
Sandy
Hi - my first time posting...learned I have an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. It's a tiny 1.3 cm and my doctor isn't worried but still needs to follow it up with an ultrasound by the end of the month.  The reason I got an ultrasound is because I had these left side pains for months (intermittent now but still comes) so I am interested in hearing the idea that a cyst might "refer" pain.  Doesn't my cyst seem too small to cause that kind of pain though (feels more like pulled muscles)?  

My only concern about my cyst is that my doctor (actually a PA who I trust) said the reprt showed irregular borders that she believed were just the cyst beginning to break apart already.  Does that sound right?  I know she's the doctor, but I haven't found that info elsewhere.

Thanks!
I told the dr my left side hurts all the time and the ultrasound showed the right ovary with cysts! She told me it does not matter what side the cysts is on, either side can hurt, She said if you hurt, you hurt!
Just found out I have a cyst on my right side 6 cm but all the pisin is on my right side my dr want to wait 6 weeks to see if it shrinks if not he is going to do surgery I already had a laparoscopy 11 years ago had my boys now I want it all out! Periods are sooo bad I wanna cry !!
well, i'm 14 and i have a cyst on my right ovary it's growing, it's now a 6/7 cm large. i just had a question, what kind of surgery would they do if they would take mine out? and does it leave a big scar? im going to the doctors tomorrow for an ultrasound again. maybe can anyone contact me to tell me how they managed with their cyst?
by email, ***@**** thank you.
Hi mcall111,

I am just now recouping from an ovarian cyst removal. I had it this past Friday. I am not sure if you have had the surgery yet but it was done by robotic using the Davinci I had 4 incisions because I had 2 cyst on both sides. 1 incision was right above my belly button and 2 were on each side of my belly button the other was low right above my vaiginal area. It was not bad in and out patient. I think I got more sick from prescribed pain meds. One of my cyst were complex and I am waiting to here the pathology results. I also had blood work done and my cat125 results were a little high than the norm. The doctors said I shoul not be concerned. I hope any information am posting is helpful to anyone reading this.
hi am joe-26, my doc found 6.9 X 5.0 cm simple right ovarian cyst and suggested me to go for laproscopy. but i find no pain or discomfort in lower abdomen. but am mentally very depressed what to do..... i don.t want to go for surgery. is there any natural way. my doc did not prescribed any medication to reduce to cyst.....
Just to let you know, I had a 5.1 cm cyst on my left ovary and took no meds and within 4 weeks it was down to 2cm.  So it is possible. I would get rechecked after another ovulation before going under the knife prematurely.