Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cyst after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cyst after hysterectomy

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with a "large" (do not know actual size) cyst on my left ovary.  I had the other ovary removed in my 20s due to a dermoid cyst.  I had a total hysterectomy in 2004 due to fibroids.  Basically, all I was left with was a partial left ovary to allow for hormone production.  Anyone else develop a cyst after hysterectomy?  Do you know if the chances are greater for it to be cancerous?  I did a little research and as I look down the list of symptoms for ovarian cancer, I have every one.  I am having an u/s o tuesday; cyst discovered via CT scan due to ongoing pelvic pain.

Any thoughts?

Chris  
Is your cyst complex?  Generally, a cyst over 5cm that is complex will need to be surgically removed because it has a higher chance of being malignant or rupturing.  Still, the majority of these do turn out to benign.    Unfortunately, both benign and malignant cysts cause the same types of symptoms as they grow.   If your cysts is 5cm and complex, then I would not recommend the "watch and wait" approach, but rather ask for a referral to a gynecologic oncologist.  These doctors have the most experience in removing malignant tumors and their skill can make a difference in your proper staging, treatment and overall prognosis.  Here are a couple of links that have some good information:  

http://oreilly.com/medical/news/ovarian_ten_things.html

http://www.wcn.org/findadoctor/

I hope all turns out to benign.  Most cysts do...even complex ones. Good luck to you!
Thanks!  I have since found out it is complex and is 4.1 x 5.1 x 4.1 cm.  I have an appt this morning with my gyno to discuss the plan............
Great! Keep us posted!
Got the plan---removal of cyst and ovary scheduled for Tuesday.  Doc is going to try laproscopic.  She did my hyster and tubal and both times had to move to open surgery but she wants to at least give lap a try.  Ordered CA-125.  My biggest concern is forced menopause1