Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cyst and appendicitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cyst and appendicitis

are the symptoms of these confusing?  My sons girlfriend has been admitted to hospital in the early hours of this morning with abdominal pains and sickness,  They are testing for both appendicitis and ovarian cysts   She is only 18 and I thought it was over 40 that cysts occured.  I am looking to reassure a very frightened girl.

Advice appreciated
also, is she likely to need surgery or will they wait for it to disperse naturaly if its a cyst
Cysts can happen at any age so it is a viable diagnosis in this case.  The normal course of action is to wait a bit but that will depend on what type, size, and whether it has twisted (torsion) or not.  I hope all goes well.
I've had problems with cysts in the past, but they have always ruputred. I was admitted last Tuesday with the same symptons as your son's girlfriend and I'm only 36.    I had such horrendous pain!  They did a CAT scan for appendicitis and kidney stones, but came to find out I had a cyst that already ruptured and another still there.  The did surgery the next morning.  This can be extremely painful.  GOOD LUCK!
thank you for your helpful comments.  My sons girlfriend is still in hospital, they have found fluid in her abdomen and are trying to find the source and treatment.  She is more positive and less frightened now as she has been moved from a side room to a ward and is with other patients.

She has been put in the early pregnancy ward which is rather confusing (she isnt pregnant as far as we know, she is on the pill)

thanks again