Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cyst pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cyst pain

I am 42 and I was diagnosed with a ruptured left ovarian cyst. I have had no real answers and no one has sat down to talk about it. Just that it's normal and gave me pain meds and back next month for a sono to see if there are anymore. I have never had these in my life that I know of and am wondering on the location of my pain. for 3 weeks, I was having pain in my upper left quadrant, into my chest, around the side and back up to my left shoulder and sometimes between shoulder blades. After a CT scan, the ovarian cyst is what they tell me it's from. Seriously, can ovary pain cause pain this high up or should I be getting a second opinion? had to go to ER yesterday because the pain was worse. Just gave me stronger pain meds and told me to stay down a few days that the ovary was inflamed a little from also beginning my cycle today.
what does it mean on the ct scan when it says that the spleen and liver demonstrate symmetrical enhancement?
Symmetrical enhancement is a good sign and means that during your scan the contrast that was injected showed your liver and spleen as enhancing in the same way.  If you had a mass in one of those organs, you would expect the enhancement to be slowed and when passing the mass and therefore it would not look even.  

I agree with you that it seems like your pains are too high for your ovary to be the cause.  Have you had your heart checked?  It is common for heart pain to show in that manner and you would want to find an issue before it gets more serious.  Also, CT scans don't show the esophagus and stomach internally.  So, if the heart checks out ok, it is a good idea to see a gastroenterologist to have your stomach and esophagus checked.  Reflux disease commonly causes this type of pain too.  Also, keep in mind that gas pain can feel that way.  But, from your description, it sounds like something more.  

Sometimes, you won't find an answer and that is very frustrating.  I think you should keep pressing for answers though.  It definitely warrants a second opinion if your doctors aren't referring you to specialists to keep searching for answers.  I have many family members with heart disease and when I first read your post, that is what came to mind.  Your symptoms sound like angina.  Have you had any checks on your heart? I know you are young, but my uncle died at the age of 40 from a heart attack.

Please check out this link about angina:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Angina/Angina_WhatIs.html

I hope you find answers soon!

Shelly
Thank you Shelly
I do get my heart checked ever so often because of heart palpitations. I have not in a year though. I did have an EKG Thursday at the ER and it showed to be okay. The pain isn't as bad right now, just uncomfortable and there will be a sharp pain several times in the day. I worry about the colon because me mom died of colon cancer when she was 54, but, I've had stool checked for blood and there is no weight loss either. I will watch and if it gets worse or other symptoms occur, I will seek other help.

thank you again!