Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cyst sugery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cyst sugery

I have had issues with ovarian cyst for 10 months now. Here is a little history over the past few months.
I have gone 68-74 days between periods. My last one was 109 days apart and it was produced by putting me on Loestrin 24 fe.
I had a ruptured cyst in February followed by a Ultrasound measuring an ovarian cyst at 2.5 cm.
March I returned for a check up ultrasound for a cyst measuring 4 cm.
May I returned because I had gone 3 months without a cycle for him to repeat the ultrasound AGAIN to see a 6 cm cyst, that is when he gave me the BCP to produce a period to see if the cyst would go away or shrink. When I went back last week it was measuing 5.5 cm and my GYN told me that he wants to do the laperscopy sugery to remove the cyst.
He never really did give me any information as to why there is no other option.
When I called to ask questions he did agree that it could wait 2 months but it takes the risk of it getting larger and if I get pregnant I would end up with a complicated pregnancy. I am trying to get pregnant and I am worried about being laid up with this surgery, i would be off work and laid up for at least 3 weeks.

I guess I am asking if anyone has a similar story or has had the laperscopy surgery for this size cyst.
I am afraid to just jump in and do the surgery. Is there another option out there?
Thank you for your repsonses in advance
I had a laparoscopy done April 2010. For 2 cysts, 1 on each ovary. My left had a cyst of 5cm, the right, 7cm. My cysts have all been simple fluid filled cysts.

The concern would be, youre not having regular periods, and with the cyst growing, you run risk of it twisting the ovary, or rupturing. Do you know if the cyst is in or out of the ovary?

My cysts have all been IN the ovary. And then they have to worry about structural issues of the ovarian wall, and if the cyst is in the "meat" of the ovary, etc.( Feb of this year I had to have my right ovary removed due to another cyst forming and in turn causing my ovarian wall to collapse so they needed to remove the ovary and tube)

With TTC, I would seriously look at getting this resolved ASAP, so you can heal from this and look at getting back into TTC, and not have to worry about the cyst growing etc.

As for being laid up for 3 weeks, if it is the laparoscopy, i know everyone is different, but i wasnt laid up for 3 weeks. I started to feel better after 2 weeks, its just small keyhole incisions (okay.. i shouldnt say its just that... it is still abdominal surgery.. But from comparing my laparoscopy to my laparotomy, recovery is so much faster and seems more minimal with laparocsopy.)

For other options, it sounds like you mightve tried. If you want to try the wait and see for another 3 months, I know you're TTC, but talk to your dr about trying the BCP for 3 months consecutively and then do another ultrasound and find out if its helped? Ive had to do that, for my left ovary, it responded to it, and my right it did not. I still now, have to do that for my left ovary otherwise i feel my signs of cysts forming again, etc.
I had laproscopic surgery for a 5 cm cyst it went better than expected I was discharged the same day of the procedure I was only off work for two weeks and I was able to conceive the very next month which unfortunately resulted in miscarriage bcuz d&c made my Kunming very thin but doctor says after a few cycles I should be ready to try so imstaying hopeful
Good luck