Ovarian Cysts Community
ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovarian cysts

10 yrs ago when I had health insurance I had such extreme pain in my lower ab.I had a laparoscopy done. I was told the cyst was 2cm in size not to worry it would burst on its own.  Well I  would like to know what happens(besides the great amount of pain) when they burst? I have been having steady ab pain for weeks and it seems to be on and off for days and now weeks. I don't think it is life threatening but it would be nice to know what I could do to resolve some of the pain. Is this something I should be more concerned about, or just let the pain continue and the bursting happen?
It is hard to give a useful answer when we do not know what you have. If it is a smaller simple cyst that ruptures, the body will reabsorb the cyst and the fluid it contained, but there will be lingering pain and swelling. It could also lead to a pelvic infection, but not always. Ibuprofen and/or heating pads help with the pain.

Ideally, you need to see a gynecologist and get ultrasound tests to determine the size and type of cyst, and if it even is a cyst that you have. If the cyst is solid, it will not resolve and you do NOT want it to rupture. If the pain is being caused by torsion (twisting of the ovary/ tube), that can be dangerous and kill the ovary. The pain would be quite extreme. Then there are the rarer cases when cysts are not cysts but ovarian cancer. A woman with cyst problems needs to be monitored by a good gyn.  But I know your dilemma well. None of this is affordable without health insurance.