Ovarian Cysts Community
ovary pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ovary pain

I am only 22 and i have two children. but for the last year i have had pain in my left ovary. well i have done an ultrasound and i wont know my results until the 17th of november. but the pain wont go away. i cant deal with it anymore. i just need to know if im to young to have a hystorectomy. i dont want anymore children. and i only want to have one surgery. can you answer these questions for me.
I'm going to encourage you to relax.  There are other reasons not to have a hysterectomy beyond not wanting any more children.  These organs do play a part in your total health and you don't want to part with them unless necessary, especially at your age.  

I'm surprised you have to wait so long for your results.  Usually it is only a few days.  Do ask your doctor for something to help with the pain.  You don't need to live with this.  

The surgery you will have (if the cysts don't resolve on their own) will likely be laparoscopic.  This will be a few finger width incisions in your abdomen.  The recovery time is a couple of weeks.  Push your doctor for answers and pain relief and educate yourself on ovarian cysts, etc.  Take a look at the health pages (top right).  The more you know the easier it is.  Good luck and keep us posted.
   I'll add something else if I may...I'm a lot older than you and would have chosen to have a hysterectomy when they removed an ovary and tube because of an Ovarian Cyst. They refused to do so... .. Point being that it is considered unnecessary surgery and has its risks like any other surgery. Trudie is so right.. There are many reasons not to have the hysterectomy and frankly I don't think you'd be able to find a Dr.willing  to perform one on healthy organs or an Insurance Company to pay for it ! It isn't something to be taken lightly.
    I'm also wondering why the results are taking so long. Usually they only take a few days. I would call and ask why the delay.. Then try to take one step at a time. Cysts , if you have them, are very very common and 95% benign. They may decide to monitor it for a few months (they will give you something for the pain I'm sure) and if the cysts don't resolve on their own, the laparoscopy is usually an outpatient procedure and you'll be up and about in about 2 weeks.. So, try not to worry and keep us posted,

Sandy