Ovarian Cysts Community
recovery after ruptured cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

recovery after ruptured cyst

Hi, I'm new to this forum.  My 12yo daughter was nauseous and had extreme lower abdomen and back pain beginning last Monday.  Visited UrgiCare Tuesday evening with constant pain and expanding abdomen. Dr. did CBC and urinalysis to rule out appendicitis and bladder infection.  There was some blood in her urine so Dr. prescribed pain meds and dismissed us with "cramps" and a suggestion to follow-up with ped Dr. for anemia.  On Wednesday Ped ordered CT with contrast of abdomen and pelvis which showed feces in the bowels and fluid in her abdomen.  She prescribed milk of magnesia and a high fiber diet.  (My daughter is vegan and eats about 10 servings of fruit and veg daily - she was NOT constipated) Her abdomen continued to swell and she continued to complain of pain radiating to her back so called Ped on Thursday to argue constipation diagnosis. Ped scheduled appt with GI in 10 days. On Friday morning, called Ped in morning to report still bigger abdomen and PAIN and Ped made an appt with OBGYN for ultrasound.  Friday afternoon, OB did transvaginal ultrasound to diagnose large ruptured ovarian cyst on left ovary.  Prescribed painkiller and BC as preventative against future cysts and said that most patients recover 5-7 days after rupture.  Today makes 8 days after onset of severe pain which is when we believe the rupture occured.  My daughter's abdomen has barely receded in size and she is now experiencing SEVERE lower back pain which is not touched by Vicoden-Ibuprofen combo.  She is miserable and doesn't fit in any of her clothers because of her expanded abdomen.  She has no fever so I don't suspect infection, but could something else be happening?  Should I be concerned about the increasing back pain?  If anyone has any suggestions, please respond and thanks for reading my l-o-n-g post!!
I had a ruptured cyst and I had back pain and this weird pain under my ribs for several weeks. (like a severe pulled muscle feeling, and it felt like I was short of breath) the intial really bad pain of the rupture (pelvic and down to my thigh) lasted a few days.  My stomach is still bloated 8 weeks later.  My dr. is saying it must be my IBS acting up, but it is different than IBS bloating as it is pelvic bloating (does that make sense?)  I am going for a follow up ultrasound on Monday, with will be almost 8 weeks since the first ultrasound, and 2 months since the rupture.  
Thanks so much for responding!  I am so sorry for you that you're still experiencing so many symptoms!  I wish the OBGYN would have taken the time to explain what to expect but I guess I have to understand that every case is different, He just said she should feel better in hours and the bloating gone in days!   If it were me, I would just deal with it, but it being my daughter, I just want her to feel better,  I hope your ultrasound reveals what is causing your symptoms and that you can feel better soon.  I'm going to give the OBGYN a callback today as my daughter was in tears last night because her abdomen is growing again and the pain is down her legs into her knees and ankles.  Weird!  
I am wondering if she has another cyst.  I would not just dismiss these symptoms and normal recovery.  Yes, it is normal to feel some pain for a few days (but it should not be intense), but 8 days with INCREASING pain is not normal.  I would suggest taking her to another gyn or better yet a gyn/oncologist (no I do not think she has cancer, they just have a lot more experience with these issues).  If she gets down crying in pain again, I would take her to the ER and demand some answers.  Since she is minor, you have to be an advocate for her and fight to get some answers on what is going on.  I hope she gets to feeling better and some answers soon.Please keep us posted on how she is doing.   Prayers for you and her, Kasie
I recently went to the ER for the same issue...admitted me for possible appendicitis.  Turns out ruptured (severe) cyst.  They released me yesterday and one of the things to watch for & talk w/ my DR is abdomen pain & swelling.  Does she have severe pain?  I'd take her to the ER like fungirl1011 suggested.  There may be complications or another cyst rupturing.  My thoughts & prayers are with both of you.