Ovarian Cysts Community
ruptured ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

ruptured ovarian cyst

About a week and a half ago i had a cyst on my ovary ruptured i went to the er and they said there is nothing no one can do the pain will go away in a couple of days and here i am week and a half later and my stomach is swollen i dont hardly eat ifeel full i am still in pain and get sick to my stomach and light-headed i called the dr's and they wont see me for a week and a half...i feel like i can not keep going on like this does anyone have some recommendations? and do the cysts really keep going on for this long?
I've been to the er 2 different times the first time they did the cat scan and just said it was a ruptured cyst(didnt say what kind it was) and said in 2-3 days the pain will go away and the second time i went to the er they did an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultra sound and the er dr just said that i have fluid in my uterus and he couldnt tell me why and thats why they have dr's i never got anything for the pain and this is my first cyst that I have hadand even when i called my dr i told them my symptoms(back pain, nausea, light-headness) and told them there where times i couldnt even walk all they said was ok and scheduled me for a week and a half later. i was just sitting here reading the postings and sounds like cysts can last a long time? And all i was ever told was that they go away on there own..i think my job isnt helping it either since i have a very physical job (lifting 50lbs or more) i dont know what else to do i have had 3 kids and had my tubes tied and this is worse than childbirth. i have tried 800mg of ibropfen and alleve (which my family dr recommended) and nothing had even touched the pain...I wonder if this could possibly have anything to do with an abnormal pap smear i had about 6 years ago that should pre-cancerous cells and then they did the leep procedure and last pap smear in march showed everything ok the dr said. i dont know i am new at having this so i would appreciate as much insight i can get and know what i should be asking my dr when i go to my appt
also i was wondering once a cyst has ruptured does it mean that it is gone? i know this sounds like a stupid question but i was just wondering?
I'm so sorry for your experience.  Your ER experience sounds like mine when the head of ER said after reading the catscan (late at night) showing just fluid.  I don't know, I think it's some da## female problem.  You'll have to wait until the gyn on staff comes in the morning.  I wish I could tell you more.  I'd try your doctors office again, and I hate to say it, but turn on some drama.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease is my experience.
thanks mermaid you have been helpful...just alone letting me know something didnt sound right..which i didnt think it did but then i thought maybe i was over-reading into it. thanks again
BabyBubbles-  If you haven't already done so, be sure to get copies of the written reports from your CT Scan and Ultrasounds. Demand them if you have to!!  You're entitled to know exactly what they found. If you have a cyst, the reports will note the size, whether it appears to be all fluid, or part fluid and something else, etc. etc.

I've been dealing with a cyst for about 6 months now, and will soon be having surgery; I have a collection of CT Scan and Ultrasound reports :-)  It helps to see exactly what the reports say, so you know exactly what is going on, what if any changes may have occurred with the cyst,  and will have a better idea of what questions you should be asking.

I'm still pretty new to this Forum, but the ladies here have been very helpful and supportive, and always willing to give honest advice from their experiences. But that's my little bit of advice from a Newbie.
Thanks Cagney i really appreciate the advice.....i need all the advice I can get and i appreciate you trying to help me. And i wish you the best
Do you know what type of cyst it was?  I had a dermoid spontaneously rupture and "waited" and presented with peritonitis and the contents of the cysts (hair, teeth, skin, bones distributed throughout my abdomen) when they opened me up.  I never vomitted, I have a strong stomach and high pain tolerance and motrin wasn't helping at all, but I could barely eat or stand upright by the time I went to the doctor/ER.  I couldn't get an appointment so I went to my Gastro.  Trust your "gut" and don't hesitate to go to the ER if you have too.  Something doesn't sound right to me about making you wait in such pain.
Ruptured cysts can continue to hurt over the course of weeks as they resolve.  If you can bare the pain, the do so, if not, your doctor should be able to provide you with a weeks worth of pain medicine and nausea medicine.  What you should NEVER do is ignore a fever with abdomen pain, so if you have any signs at all of fever get yourself to the ER immediately, as you could end up with peritonitis...which can be deadly, or GOD forbid, sepsis.  Trust your body and the signs it gives you.
Hi,I also have ovary cyst (5cm)right ovary for almost 4 months they suspect is leaking,Christmas eve was in er for severe pain,nausea, and faintness,but was just sent home with pain pills.Leaking or rupture of cyst will cause all over irritation ,nausea,tenderness, and abdominal pain,and can take time for your body to absord it,I was also told not much they can do about it or it isnt serious,but any symptoms of high fever,vomiting,faintness warrents visit to to dr or er because those symptoms shouldnt be taken lightly and could be an infection.Hope you feel better soon,your in my prayers,
         Stephanie
Thanks for your comments andadvice i guess maybe i am just over-reacting to this situtation and all ofyou havedone wonderful in making me feel a little bit and i did take the advice and i went down today and got copies of my ct scan and my ultrasound..i probally would of never thought about it so thanks again for helping me and i am keeping everyone in my prayers.
Hi everynone,
Im new to this. Ive been dealing with ovarian cysts for about four months now. My first cyst ruptured and I didnt even know at that time that it was an ovarian cyst. I went to the ER thinking it was my apendix or something. After that cyst ruptured, another cyst form, at the same spot. My right ovary :( Since then bcp have been prescribed to see if it dissolves on its own...well its been four months and Im not so sure Im getting better. I was actually feeling better but just a few days ago I had my menstrual period and since my period ended Ive been having stomach pains...well not so much pain but my tummy feels really sore. I dont know if the cyst ruptured or what the case is. Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You can probably get better help on the "ovarian cyst" forum.
Teresa
about a week ago my dr called me  mind you 4 weeks after my ultrasound letting me know the test came back and can i come in on monday to talk about the test in a voice like this was my last week on earth needless to say i got there that day .i was place in a room in the back the nurse was way to nice this day my doc walked pass the room and wouldn't look me in the face i just knew death was coming.ladies sitting in this small room by my self thinking about my kids ,how i knew it was cancer if i had just got here a month ago im planning my death right there then he walks in the room sat down took  a look at the chart and  with this face he tells  me my ultrasound looked a little funky  so i ask how bad was funky..lol..    ,he said it might be a cyst that ruptured worst case it's cancer right then and there i wanted  to kick him across the room  he scared the life out of me over a cyst something i was told wasn't there it was stress you know all in my head, getting up 4in the am going to the bathroom  with pain like i was giving birth just to bring up something i  ate 5 days ago can't be all in my head  ..lol..so now im going to get a cat scan in two week  and i'll find out in another 4 weeks how big this cyst is..lol..thats hmo's for ya
ladies take care and thank you for your storys it's good to know that im not the only one ..god bless
I have been having major pain for a little over a week now.  It started with EXTREME pain during intercourse and then progressively got worse over the next few days.  At first I was sent through an array of tests and told I was "constipated".  Then after a second trip to the doctor I was told it was possibly endometriosis.  Then, I was finally able to get into my gyno and he believes it is a ruptured cyst.  The pain is finally subsiding (with the help of vicodan), but I am having some other pain that I am not sure is related.  My cyst pain is on the left side.  A couple days later, I began have achiness in my left arm.  Then yesterday I began having the same kind of achiness in my right hip and thigh.  It is not constant but every few minutes and eases away with heat applied to it.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I mentioned it to my nurse when I last visited the doctor and she made it sound as if this may be more of a nerve thing.  The rest of my ailments are consistent with a ruptured cyst though.  Any insight or advice would be appreciated... Renee`
It sounds like you might have alternating cysts. Some people get them on both. I only have got them on my right side, but ONLY your ob/gyn can tell you. They can tell you what kind of cysts you have. I have what they call functional cysts that develope and rupture when I ovulate. I also get the achiness is my right hip and thigh. My cysts ruptures have only been on my right. Dont know if my experienced helped.
I WISH I COULD HAVE HAD THIS FORUM YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THINGS YOU ALL HAVE BEEN. I WENT THROUGH ALMOST 6 YEARS OF CYSTS THAT RUPTURED, SOMETIMES MONTHLY. DOCTORS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. MOSTLY GAVE ME PAIN MEDS, OR SHOTS, AND SENT ME HOME. I HAD ONE RUPTURE ONE TIME, WENT TO THE ER WITH THE WORST PAIN YET. ONCE AGAIN I HEARD THAT THEY WASN'T SURE WHY I WAS EXPERIENCING THE KIND OF PAIN I WAS, GAVE ME TWO SHOTS IN THE BUTT, WAITED 10 MIN. THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE MY VITALS AND SEND ME HOME. I HAD NO BLOOD PRESSURE, AND THATS WHEN THINGS GOT SCARRY. THEY REALIZED THAT I WAS HEMMORAGING. IF THEY WOULD HAVE SENT ME HOME, I WOULD HAVE BLED OUT IN TWO HOURS AND DIED. THEY GAVE ME UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING FOR MY BLOOD COUNT TO GO BACK UP, OR THEY WERE GOING TO DO A HYSTERECTOMY. THANK GOD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT. BUT PLEASE DO NOT HOLD BACK WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR BODY. ITS THE DOCTORS JOB TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG, BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS.
I have suffered  from ovarian cyst for years.  But the other night I had a very strange thing happen.  I was at a bonfire and suddenly out of no where I became ill and started vomiting.  I left the the bonfire and while driving home I had extreme pain in my lower left side, I was dizzy and had to pull over.  it was so bad that I even thought about calling 911 to send an ambulance.  After apx 20 minutes the pain subsided.  But since then I have had pain in my lower left back/hip area (pressure) and nausea and dizzy.  Went to doc yesterday and she said I had vertigo and an upper respitory infection.  All I can think of is maybe the dizzy feeling and nausea is related to the pain on sat night.  
Do I need to worry or if I had a cyst rupture, will it take care of it's self and these symptoms will go away on it own?
.... I have no fever, just dizzy, nausea and pressure in my back/hip area....
HI, LAST WEEK I HAD A RUPTURED CYST IT WAS THE MOST PAINFUL THING  & IT LASTED FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR. BUT ANYWAYS AFTER THAT I HAVE BEEN REALLY SWOLLEN IN THE ABDOMEN & WAS WONDERING HOW LONG THAT LASTS? ALSO I WORK ON MY FEET & MY LEGS HAVE BEEN SWELLING UP REALLY BAD ITS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE... NOBODY TALKS ABOUT SWOLLEN LEGS... IS THAT NORMAL???
DOES ANYONE KNOW?
I had went to the ER in severe pain earlier in the week and was told I had a 7cm cyst on right ovary rupture.  Now i am still in a lot of pain and my biggest concern is bright red vaginal bleeding when I am not suppose to be menstruating right now.  Has anyone else experienced bleeding after a rupture?
I went to the ER with bad left side pain that went into my back. There they gave me a CT Scan and said that I had traces of kidney stones. A couple days later I had my OBGYN Dr. apt he gave me an ultrasound and said that I had fluid from a ruptured cyst. My stomach hurts really bad never had this much pain. Anyone know how long it will last?
two weeks ago I played in a soccer game. (i've been playing for 22 years so nothing unsual!)

After the game i had the the worst pain ever on my lower right pelvic area. Sort of near my hip. It continued from Friday night to Sunday night. I awoke Monday morning and it was gone but later that after noon I started bleeding the bright red blood. It was 2 weeks away from my period. I've continued bleeding since then. I called the OBGYN's office and they said it's a ruptured cyst and it is completly normal to have bleeding. They said in a week or two i would start my period and if things weren't normal to call back...But seriously..this is the first time this has ever happened and bleeding for almost 2 full weeks is very scary!
I have been in the hospital for the last 3 days, due to back pain, chest and lower flank pain and server bloating.  Day 1 they told me in er that i might have cancer. Day 2 they said there was fluid in my tummy and my bood pressure is lower then it sould be and i might need a transfewtion. Day 3 they said its a cyst and to come back in 3 weeks for a follow up!!!!!!    WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! The lack of info and the pain + fear i have is overwellming i can sleep, eat or funtion. If there is someone out there who can give me info i would love it! sorry about the mistakes
Two days ago, I had one of my ovarian cysts rupture.  Went to the ER and did nothing.  Actually they did not found anything because all they did was a x-ray since I had had ct scan and ultrasounds last year showing ovarian cysts.  I complained of abdominal pain on upper right side.  Since I have been diagnosed with gastritis, all drs tend to assume that is a GI attack.  I was so dissapointed the drs at the ER didn't find anything but what I had already been diagnosed with.  I told them that I had ovarian cysts but never went onto checking my pelvis.  How is it possible these drs ignore what is going on with ovarian cysts.  Anyway, I went to the GI doctor the next day, and after four hours of studies by ultrasound, and two different technicians, and three doctors checking me out.  Found ruptured cysts and fluid in my abdominal cavity.  They gave me low dose of antiinflamatory meds, antibiotics, and tylenol#3.  I am at home resting because I cannot stand for long periods of time and my work requires me to stand and physical activity.  I pray to God, he can help me get rid of the unbearable pain I am having.  I hope all of you find your solutions.
Hi..I had a ruptured cyst as well and the pain was on my right side and around to my back.That pain finally stopped,but I am now hurting on the total opposite side closer to my hip.When I was at the doctors office they told me I had free fluid because of the rupture...I am wondering now where the fluid goes,or if it causes infection and could the pain I am feeling be from the fluid??? Any information would be helpful....Thank You!!
I've been suffering with ovarian cysts for years. Went to the ER twice and they did nothing!!! The doctors today just don't seem to care anymore. It's all about money. Anyway I started doing research on how to cure cysts naturally, because the body has the ability to heal itself when given the proper vitamins and nutrients it needs. First thing that really helped me was juicing carrots. Carrots are great for balancing hormones. Also try eating lots of organic fruits and veggies. Only eat organic eggs and drink organic milk. The hormones they give the chickens and cows are really messing up womens hormones. Also watch out for meats as well. Also red raspberry leaf tea is good for the female system and really helped relieve my pain. It can be found at any health food store. I hope this helps someone out there.
I have had cysts for many years!! They are very painfull!! I had a surgary done to remove one that just would not ruptue it was the size of a grapefruit!! It was the worst surgary i have ever had!!  I still get them constantly sometime so bad it puts lots of presure on my bladder! The dr said I just have to deal with it!!  The only other cure is a complete historactmy!! Witch I am only 30 so im not ready for mentapause!!!
I cant believe I found this forum.  I had 2 ruptured cysts 10 years ago and the pain was unbareable.  Then 12 days ago I had another one rupture. This was worse than the last 2 combined. I didnt do anything about it because I remember from the first 2 that nothing could really be done once that happens.  BIG mistake!

The pain started at 9AM and by 9PM I needed an ambulance.  I started to go into shock and almost passed out.  My muscles were spasming on and off and when that happened I couldnt breathe.  This was from blood filling into my abdomen and hitting my diapragm.  I thought once it ruptured that was it.  I didnt know blood vessels could contine to bleed and mine did for the 12 hours I stayed at home.  The paramedics had to put me in a chair because laying down was excrutiating.  They had to lift me to the stretcher and keep me propped up in this position, even in the hospital.  They kept me overnight and constantly monitored my blood count because I was pretty close to needing emergency surgery from the blood loss, and my blood pressure was so low they could only give me small doses of morphine.  Here we are 12 days later and Im still in pain, but mostly in my bladder and bowels when I need to use the bathroom.  I wish I knew how long this is going to last.  Im on BC pills so I dont grow any more of them.

DONT EVER wait for medical attention.  By the time I agreed to an ambulance I couldnt breathe, I couldnt move, and started to pass out.  I dont even want to think about what could have happened if I didnt have someone here that made the call for me.
I thank you all for your stories, they all sound like what I have been going through, I have a few questions (symptoms) I was wondering if anyone is or has experienced? I was nuashas and throwing up daily for over 2 years before my 11.1/2cm cyst ruptured & now that it has I'm feeling sick and throwing up still 2weeks later. I'm waiting on results from the doctor from the follow up ultra sound, but I'm going crazy & have barely gotten out of bed for 2days. I also had an irregular pap smear 7 years ago & they wrote it off. Does anyone relate to tingling pain in your shoulder, dizzy spells & sever upset stomach, hormonal roller coaster? If this is ALL caused by a cyst I opt to take all my women parts out!
If you are having sharp cramps and some bleeding does that mean you could have a ruptured cyst?  I am on the depo for my endo.  It happens every month where I get really bad cramps and bleed just a bit.  I dont know if it is break through bleeding or what.
I just found out today that what I experienced last Friday was a ruptured ovarian cyst.  My experience sounds a lot like the rest of yours.  Went to the ER with sever pain and a creepily distended abdomen.  They told me it was probably due to a gall stone and if I chose to eat any greasy food in the future not to come back crying that my stomach hurt, then sent me home with pain meds I cannot take...WTH???...Stayed in bed for two days, did not eat and survived on 800 mg of Aleve twice a day just to keep from crawling out of my skin.  I saw my OBGYN today and he told me an ovarian cyst ruptured and it will take a couple weeks for the swelling to go down and the tenderness to go away.  If I experience severe dizziness or a fever I should go to the ER immediately (not the ER mentioned above) and call him.  I will go back in 3 months so he can look at the remaining cysts.  One on each ovary.  Getting older just really stinks.  I seriously thought it was the end for me, it felt like I was about to give birth again, just awful.  At least I can finally get my pants buttoned again.  Hang in there everyone and hope for the best.  Thank you to jesussaves7, I will take your advice and hope it helps.
I was just wondering how long can liquid last in your uterus from a cyst rupture? I have been getting Lower abdomen pain? Back aches? Bloated stomach, feeling sick but never actually vomiting and getting full quickly for the past 9 months. At first the doctors thought I had a cyst so I had an ultrasound scan and they found liquid in my uterus so they suspected I had a cyst rupture. But my gynaecologist said it couldn't be from a cyst rupture because it was proper liquid so 5months after my last scan I had another ultrasound scan and I still have liquid. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with me?