Ovarian Cysts Community
small ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

small ovarian cyst

I am 70 yrs old, recently had a vaginal ultrasound because of occasional light spotting.  The ultrasound revealed a small cyst that my GYN says she wants to watch for changes with another ultrasound in 3 months.  Should I be worried?  I have no immediate family with breast or ovarian cancer, except for a first cousin on my father's side.
Thank you.
No I don't think you should be worried it is normal to have a second scan to check a cyst after a few weeks . Sometimes the cyst will reabsorb depending on what type of cyst it is. Did they tell you what type it was? like DERMOID or     Functional Cysts or     Graafian Follicle Cyst         or   Corpus Luteum Cyst  or Endometrial Cyst or Pathological Cyst ??
Only the last one would be any cause for great concern and usually surgery would be sheduled immediately if you had one of these as they have the greatest chance of turning cancerous.  

The fact that they have ask you to wait three months shows they are not overly worried about it. They are really only checking to see if if goes away or grows bigger.

Try not to worry too much but if you do experience a really bad pain before the three months is up it may have ruptured and you should go back and get it checked out and not wait.

Hope this helps .

There is a website which explains about the different types of cysts in more detail heres the link  :  

http://www.ovarian-cancer-facts.com/types-of-ovarian-cysts.html

good luck with your cyst
xx

Hope this helps .

good luck with your cyst
xx
sorry the link didn't work as supposed to you will have to type all that into the webpage box at the top of your computer screen . Here it is again:

Thank you so much for responding so quickly to my query.  I kind of expected my GYN would NOT have me wait 3 months if she thought it was an emergency, but I'm glad of the reassurance anyway.  I was too flustered to even ask for more information, such as size and type of cyst.  I think I'll give her a call to find out and read the information in the link you provided.
Thanks again
Thats ok try not to worry I am sure you will be fine .....Keep us posted on the results in three months.
xx
Dont wory its normal to have cyst. She's doing the wait and see for 3 months because the cyst is not too big and it might resolve itself within 3cycles...
Almost all of ovarian cyst are benign
did she tell you if its a simple or complex cyst?

I think you will be ok so dont worry about it
Thanks lot12, I know ovarian cysts are common and almost always benign; I had them when I was pre-menopausal,  but now I am more concerned because of my age.