Ovarian Cysts Community
teratoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

teratoma

3 weeks ago I had a laparotomy to remove a large dermoid ovarian cyst (17cm)& thank God it was benign. The doctor had to take my right ovary .The lower part of my abdomen is still very swollen and just pooches out.  I was wondering if someone knew if this was normal at this point in recovery. Is there something I should be doing as well?  Also, I know that the other ovary kicks in but has anyone experienced any hormonal changes by having only one ovary? Thank you
It is normal for it to still be swollen.  If you see redness, warmth or have pain or intense itching, be sure to get it checked because it could be an infection.  Otherwise, it will take a couple of months to get back to normal.  Most of the time, the ovary does kick in.  I don't have personal experience with this.  You might want to repost with the subject line noting your question about one remaining ovary.  That way, others who have been through that experience can give you some first hand info.  Best wishes for continued healing!

Shelly
Can you tell me what your symptoms were before the cyst was removed?  Did you have any indigestion or change in your stools?
Thanks Shelly for your advise.
i just felt pain in lower part of my abdomen when i was playing yoga.
yes, i had indigestion for a while. hope my answers can help you.