Ovarian Cysts Community
two large ovarian cysts and prolonged periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I recently got a pelvic ultrasound and they discovered I have a 5.6cm  ovarian cyst and a smaller cyst inside that large cyst on my right ovary.  I've also had my periods lasting for 3 to 4 weeks for the past ten months and they're very heavy.  My doctor discovered this a month ago and she put me on birth control pills to try to regulate my period and she wants to see me in May.  I'm concerned that the cysts might be cancerous.  I feel like I cannot talk to my doctor because she's always in a bad mood.  My question is, should I be concerned and go see another doctor right away to get it checked out or is waiting three months normal procedure after discovering such large ovarian cysts and periods that don't seem to stop?  Please give me your advice.  Thanks.
First, check out the top right of this page "Health Pages". It will explain a lot about ovarian cysts. They are very very common , part of the natural cycle and 95% of them are benign..

Now, I would see another Dr. simply because you don't seem to have a good "relationship" with your current Dr. It's important that you trust her and feel comfortable talking to her.Many times cysts are monitored for a few cycles, because a lot of times they simply disappear on their own.. although this is a fairly decent sized cyst.

Frankly, I wouldn't continue with any Dr. if I felt they were always in a bad mood and not responsive to my questions. That's not a good Dr/patient relationship. I'm surprised you waited for 10 months to check on those lengthy periods..

In any case, I wouldn't worry about cancer at this stage.. Chances are good that they are benign, but you truly need to find a Dr. that you are comfortable with..

Take care,
Sandy