Ovarian Cysts Community
was told I had a ruptured ovarian cyst and they just sent me home?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Yesterday I had this terrible pain in my lower abdomen/vaginal area after sex followed by severe nausea so I went to the E.R. thinking that my IUD "Mirena" was protruding through me and after 5 hours of testing, I was diagnosed with: Abdominal Pain and Possible Ruptured Ovarian Cyst. What I don't understand is why I haven't had any bleeding or symptoms before that. I know people who have had ruptured ovarian cysts and they ended up having surgery. This Doctor pretty much just shrugged her shoulders and wrote a prescription for Tylenol 3 then told me to follow up with my gyno in a couple of days. Now Im just bloated, tender, and still in pain. Im glad it wasn't anything that needed surgery but what is the difference with a cyst that requires surgery?
Hi, sorry you are experiencing this pain, some doctors who are not specialised in this area just dont realise and have no manners.   Did they give you an ultrasound? Did they not advise what time of cyst it was?  I would advise that you see your Gyno asap and request and ultrasound to check your ovaries.  An ovarian cyst or tumour is normally operated on if persistant and more than 5cm, as there is risk of twisting of the ovary which causes immense pain or rupture which has seemingly happened to you.  Yours is probably a simple cyst that women can develop each period, which has ruptured and the doctor probably feels your body will absorb the fluid.  However to be sure I would seek advice from an gynocologist and ensure you are given a thorough ultrasound.  Good luck x
Thanks for replying. Yes I did get an ultrasound and all it showed was my normal follicles in my ovaries that were enlarged due to ovulation. She basically said she thought it was a ruptured cyst because there was ("fluid in a pocket area"?)  They didn't advise me as to what kind of cyst it was which is strange....but I will be sure to go to the Gyno and get this checked out. Thanks again!
My friend has a ruptured cyst and jt is her 6th time having it. Her doctors sent her home and her parents wont bring her back to the hosp. She is in SERIOUS pain and Idk what will help! Please help!