Ovarian Cysts Community
what are the odds of this being cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

what are the odds of this being cancer

Last spring I started having all the symptoms of pregnancy(frequent urination, nausea, bloating, bowel changes, pressure on bottom of ribcage/lungs, and pressure in lower part of vagina) and all of this went along with the constant period cramps I felt and the sharp pain I got frequently on my left side.  I had a pelvic U/S including transvag and they found a complex mass on my left ovary, had the ultrasound repeated in February and it had not changed and had a CA125 test come back at 33, then had last ultrasound done end of March and again the mass on left ovary had not changed and a 2nd CA 125 test came back at 37(done 3 weeks after the first one).  After the last U/S my gyno has booked my in for laparotmy and that is scheduled to be done July 28th.  I will have no further treatment until an appointment 1 week before surgery.  
My questions are:
Is it a good sign that the cyst/mass has not changed since November?
The doctor is doing the surgery as a laperotomy so he can look at the other ovary to see if it needs to come out as well.  How will he know?
And lastly, what is the chance that this could be ovarian cancer?  I know you cant diagnose but just a percentage would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I have to start by saying that I am a bit surprised that your gynecologist waited so long to remove a complex cyst.  From all I understand, complex cysts rarely resolve on their own, plus with a complex cyst there is a increase that the cyst can be cancerous (NOT SAYING IT IS!!).  The good news is that if your gynecologist suspected cancer, they would not be waiting so long for surgery, plus your cyst has not increased in size.  It is a good thing that the doctor is doing a laparotomy.  It will be easier for him to see your other ovary and to make sure everything else looks good.  As for knowing if the other ovary is good, it will be pink and other than that I have no clue LOL.  The percentage of this being ovarian cancer is only about 5% for a simple cyst, I'm not sure about the statistics of complex cysts.  I know how hard it is to wait as I too am waiting for surgery (June 8th) for a complex cyst.  Please know that you will get great advice and support here.  Keep us updated on how you are doing!!
Isn;t there so many of us in the same situation, Funnygirl, do you know exactly what you will be having done on June 8th, i feel at a lot more at ease now i met with my consultant again on wednesday and got some really helpful support on here. I also do not know the statisics of complex cyst being cancerous but did have mentioned to me at my last visit depending on wether you are post or pre menopause it differs, also wether it has septations and how thick the walls are. 35 per cent post menopause does ring a bell , not exactly sure of this..