Ovarian Cysts Community
what the..? i need advice/help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

what the..? i need advice/help

Just had an us, to watch cysts I've had for almost a year. Was in office 6 DAYS ago, and cyst was obvious to him immediately, just by touch.

The us lasted LITERALLY 3 minutes, and the girl said 'all clear, everythings fine'. How can that be? They were also looking at a dropped uterus (which she didn't know she was looking for til I told her), but she still said 'youre completely fine!' I'm so confused, and upset!
So...spoke with the doc, and he completely blew me off. I asked why I still had all this pain, if everything was ok, and he said 'probably endometriosis. If you're in pain again, make another appt.' WHAT? I don't even understand that statement. I asked about the uterine prolapse, but he said it was minor, so no worries. Then he just stood up and left...I could barely make it to my car before breaking down crying. I have no idea where to go from here...someone, please help...
My goodness! So sorry to hear you are going through this. I would most certainly look into seeing a different doctor. It is so important to be persistent when you know something is not right with your body.
With respect to the u/s tech, as I understand it, legally they can not provide you any details of their findings. They can only comment whether the ultrasound provided the information needed.
I understand they can't tell you what they find; that's another reason it was so ridiculous, the fact that she told me I was clear, with Nothing to see. I don't even know how that's Possible! Even if all cysts had ruptured (in 6 days, somehow), wouldn't there be evidence of it? Like displaced fluids and whatnot? So confused!
I had 2 ultrasounds within a week of one another and got 2 VERY different results!  It also had to do with how rushed the radiologist who reads them is..the ult tech told me I had a 6 cm ovarian cyst with septations (complex), the radiologist that read that one said "possible adrenal mass vs. ovarian origin"  (they are nowhere near each other in the body btw!!) and the gyn did the 2nd one in his office and said 5cm simple cyst on my left ovary.
Thank you guys for taking the time to respond! I feel like I'm getting really pushy here, but...I flat out don't think the US was done properly. I'm sorry, but I've had more than a couple, and it was 1)too short, and 2) barely in (sorry to be crude)! I'm not sure where to go from here, though. Is it possible to request another? I'm still in a Good amount of pain here!
I would plead my case if I were you and request another. If no good feedback, I would seek out a different doctor. Where I went, they start with pelvic US and only do transvag if cannot get a good pic. Seems it would work the opposite way if expecting to see something that didn't show up.

I think it is so important to be persistent. We pay good money for medical care and deserve the best care we can get.

I hope you get some better results and care soon!
I agree, I've been trying to get back in touch with him, but the office is a bit disorganized, honestly.
I'd love to be able to get another test (and find out what the xray was for), if that's possible. We are a military family, so finding aother doc is always a big to-do, lol. I'm really terrible about speaking up/questioning people, but it's something I'm working on.

In my experience, it's Always been both ab and TV ultrasound...they've always had a hard time getting a look at my ovaries! Another reason it felt 'off'.

I appreciate you guys providing me with a 'sounding board', as it were...I'm never sure if I'm making the right decisions. However, I lost my mother to medical negligence (it even started with the tests being read wrong!), so I get extra-nervous in these situations. Thank you so much <3 if you guys ever need anything, just let me know!
I am so sorry to hear about your mother.  No wonder you are so worried!  I had my first ultrasound done in my regular doctor's office and the 2nd in my gyn's.  Could you do something like that?
thank you <3
My PCP started her own practice; it's quite small, and doesn't have much equipment. She's a fighter, though, so if I can't get through to the people in my OB/GYN office, I may go to her =) I promise I'm not a pain in the *** patient, lol...I just have a BAD feeling about it. I'm sure it will all be sorted in the end, so I'm trying to just keep calm, not show any anger ;-)
So, I called the ob/gyn office Several times, and was never able to get through to my doc, or even leave a message for him. I ended up setting up a follow up appt...he said its 'probable' that it is endometriosis at this point, and offered me a choice: lap surgery, or Lupron therapy. He then went on to say, unless I am in Debilitating pain, I should do *nothing.*

So my new question is: while it is not 'debilitating' (I have never given a pain score of 10, and I've had a broken pubic bone while Very prego, and through delivery. I think its a self esteem thing, lol), it IS constant, sometimes quite sharp, and I am on percocet for a spinal thing. Should I take this into account? Or is he just saying that if I can go on with day to day I should?

I have no one else to ask, no family (except a brother that I still care for, but that's no use) aside from kids and a hubby, so if someone who has been through it could help a bit, id really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
I still say to be persistent, or find another doctor. You have to listen to your body. I tend to trust female doctors more when it comes to gyno stuff, simple because they can physically relate. Though my GYN/ONC was male, and certainly wonderful through the experience. Best wishes to you!!