Ovarian Cysts Community
why is this ruptured ovarian cyst worse than previous cysts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi all.  I am new member but have been reading previous posts and am so glad to hear from others that understand what it is like to live with ruptured ovarian cysts!  In the past twelve months, I have had five ruptured ovarian cysts (always on my left side) and had all the symptoms discussed by others.  I had a cyst rupture a week ago today and it is the worst one I have ever had.  The pain has been much worse than previous ruptured cysts and has lasted longer.  Usually, my peak pain lasts a few days.  This time, a week later, I pretty much feel like I did day one.  I have also found that night time is especially bad for me and that I have pain that radiates from my pelvic bone all the way to underneath my ribs.  Walking is difficult and seems to make the pain worse.  Also, I started my period this time in the middle of my cycle (three days before the cyst ruptured) and it lasted for ten days with bright red blood.   I am much more swollen this time.  I have seen my obgyn once but since I had all the textbook symptoms of a ruptured cyst and have an established history, no ultrasound was done this time.  I always feel like my obgyn is saying, well, it already ruptured, there is nothing we can do now.  

I am wondering if anyone might know why I am having such a difference in this cyst versus previous cysts and if there are complications that I should be concerned about that I may not have had in the past.  Any help would be most appreciated!  
I think it is important to investigate pain.  You should call your gyn and let them know the pain has persisted and you would like a transvaginal ultrasound to make sure all is ok.  I am so sorry to hear you are having so much pain and have had so many cysts this year!  Wow!   Has your doctor tried bc pills or anything to help regulate your hormones?  Have you been checked for PCOS?  Endometriosis also can cause repeated cysts.  I think that due to the number of cysts you have had this year, your poor ovary is constantly inflamed.  I have had many types of cysts in my lifetime.  Three years ago, my large, complex cysts turned out to be early staged ovarian cancer.  So, I am a firm believer in investigating each new cyst as if it were the first.   Good luck on finding answers.  I hope you feel better soon!

Shelly
Some ruptures can lead to pelvic infections.  I think the doctors need to rule out this possibility.  A course of antibiotics might bring some relief.  The cyst might have been larger than previous ones, meaning more for the body to reabsorb.