PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
5 year old pooping in his pants

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

5 year old pooping in his pants

My son has been potty trained since he was 2.  Around the age of 3 1/2 he started holding it to the point of defacating in his pants.  He knew when he had to go he just refused to.  He had some other signs that scared me.  I had a gut feeling that he was being molested.  I started teaching him the whole "no one touches your privates".  When ever I would catch him in the act of something weird, I would sit him down and talk to him.  

About a month ago I caught him and another little boy in an akward situation.  I asked him what he was doing.  He quickly told me that so and so makes him do the same thing.  I was shocked.  So and so is a relative.  Who is also a child.  I was able to talk to so and so and he admitted tearfully that yes he had done that to my 5 yr old.  When speaking further to this child, he admitted that an adult was doing it to him.  But refuses to talk about it out of fear.  

I contacted a place that specializes in sexual abuse therapy.  It will take them at least 6-8 weeks to get my son in for an appt.  

So my question is this.  IS is possible that he is defacating in his pants due to PTSD?  It happened twice yesterday.  Once at day care and again at home.  He also did it on the bus this afternoon.  He tells me that he is afraid of clogging a toliet.  That is why he won't go.  2 months ago when he was at my friends house, he clogged the toliet and she freaked out about it.  But the defacting started about a month ago.  What do I do?  How should I handle this without adding more anxiety to it and not impacting him in a negative way?  Please help!

Wow, for a second there I thought you were in the wrong forum. You might try asking this in the Abuse forum ~ where you'll get an equal array of diverse opinions.
Acting out in this way is a sign of something ~ Best Regards
I think that the response to you should include a professional knowledge of child development and abuse symptoms. I am not aexperienced with child development. Have you taken your son to the pediatrician? You could also see a child therapist.

In regard to abuse, I would see if another practice could see him sooner than 6-8 weeks.
As LCF says, his behavior is a sign of something, and there is evidence that supports abuse should be investigated.

Be cautious of any answer that you get on a forum with no professional to monitor the forum. However, some parents on various forums can be very insightful, for example.
There is good help available, I think, on the child development forum.