PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Can post-traumatic stress disorder ever be cured especially when depres...

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Can post-traumatic stress disorder ever be cured especially when depression is a part of it

My son was murdered in Jan, 2005 and I've since been treated and diagnosed with PTSD - however, I was previously being treated for depression.

When I was tested last year the psychologist stated that I had severe depression, with PTSD & severe anxiety and panic disease with possible OCD and maybe some personality disorder.

Is it possible given the fact that these tests are really just yes and no questions and they leave no room for variation of answers - and even if a particular answer isn't on the test you still have to pick one - that some of these conclusions can be wrong?  (I know the one about the severe depression and PTSD probably is correct - but if I look at the test it looks like everything is wrong with me and nothing is right with me - and it seems so overwhelming it's like can I ever get well - I was placed on Lamictal, Cymbalta and Klonopin - however my doctor upped the lamictal to 400 mgs and the cymbalta to 60 mgs and I had a very severe reaction to it (this was after having been rushed to the hospital in the intensive cardiac care unit because the doctor prescribed lithium when I was on a diuretic for high blood pressure).  To make a long story short after calling the doctor and telling about the severe rash and itching and breakout - instead of being treated for that I was hospitalized for depression).  

So you can see I don't trust doctors too much - lately with a new doctor I've been put on wellbutrin, prozac and klonopin but I'm also on Chantrix because now they say I must stop smoking bec. of they say I have the beginnings of COPD - however I'm beginning to wonder about all these so-called diseases.

Sometimes I look at it all - and say how do they expect one person to overcome all of this and then I remember that God said he was the healer - but I just wonder if all these psychological tests can all be held to be the truth or not

Any help
hey peace, your sure cant go by test i ahve take so amny of them thing sit sint funy, and ecey DR, seems like ahs adiff opione, most DR. i have seen seem to over medicate a person. I surly want to say  i am sory for yuoe loss of  yorr son. You will never for get him nor his death, but yuo will learn to deal with  it and its hard. Just think what yuor son would want yuo to be doing and the good memories  yuo have. Try cking out a grief
group.This might help some.some of those meds yuo ahev been given arfe prety strong stuff  and soem ahve strong side efects. I wish yuo well ther eare a grat bunh of peopel on her that are much better giving you advice than me.

Pointman
Hi - thank you for our kind comments - and you're right - most of the time I think the docs needto see a shrink - I'm at the point of whether I'm better off without the meds becauseof the serious side effects I've had - or not.

Anyway - I just want to help soemone else who'se going thru what I've been thru - we've got to stop these senseless killings - I don't understand it - I just don't want my son's death to be in vain -

Be blessed - peace