PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Confused.. PTSD, not Schizophrenia

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Confused.. PTSD, not Schizophrenia

My relationship with my boyfriend has been a complete roller coaster from the start. We have never gone more than two weeks without an argument and him claiming to never want to see me again. Hearing this was always difficult for me because I've always been attached to him, even after a few weeks of dating. I can't explain what it is that keeps me around and around a week ago ( after he broke up with me ), I did some research on how he acts and his symptoms shown paranoid schizophrenia as a possibility. A day or two later he ended up calling me wanting to explain some personal things that he hasn't told anyone. It opened up my eyes a whole lot on who he is and why. He has gone through a lot of traumatic events during his life and instead of having schizophrenia, he has PTSD. I did some more research and I've found that PTSD and Schizophrenia have a lot of symptoms in common and have been misdiagnosed in many instances. I feel bad because I told him that I did research and about him sounding like he had schizophrenia, when that's not the case at all.

After learning all of this it makes me want to be here for him even more than before because he's really hurting inside and the reason why he gets so angry is because he is hurt. He doesn't want me to leave him at all, in fact he is scared of me leaving him and admitted that he fell in love with me.

I'm just confused. I want to apologize for making him out to be something that he is not, but I don't know how. Or should I just leave it alone? I had no idea at the time of research. I love him and despite all the conflict we've had ( and are going to continue having ), I want to reassure him that I'm not going anywhere, even if he claims to want me gone. How can I help him through these troubles?
it is possible to have both i do