PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Heart Problems from PTSD - what to do?
About This Community:

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Heart Problems from PTSD - what to do?

I have irregular heart rate, rapid heart rate, diagnosed heart murmur and chronic shortness of breath (has these problems for five years). There are physical problems which were caused from repetitive trauma (that also resulted in severe PTSD with dissocative and panic symptoms).  Are there any medications that I should be taking to treat the irregular heart rate?  My heart rate jumps from 30 - 185 during regular exercise at the gym every morning.  It has changed little in the past year of gym membership.  I'm female 30 yrs old 112 lbs 5'4"  

So far I have changed my life to eliminate the recurring traumatic experiences I was having, and I'm in psychotherapy to treat the PTSD and dissociation.  I want to know if I should be taking anything for the heart damage/problems.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
your primary health care provider should handle those questions i have PTSD but i have not recieved any therapy is that what you go to psychotherapy because i am int erested in that one what do they do ? i also have schizophrenia :)
Blank
2071923_tn?1331523065
Please ask your MD for beta blockers to take only at night for 1-2 years. They will help your heart situation and can heal PTSD completely. You should have fast results from this, reduced anxiety, better sleep, and calmer heart rate.
Blank
2071923_tn?1331523065
EMDR is the best psychotherapy I know of for PTSD... fast, direct, effective.
Blank
263988_tn?1281957896
See a primary physician and get a referral to a cardiologist. They will most likely place you on an event monitor and do some other tests to determine what should be done.

I have a similar problem. My symptoms are intermittent and coincide with emerging memories. I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation.

A fast, irregular heart rate can damage your heart through possible blood clots. It is a serious condition and needs medical attention.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...