PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Just curious

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Just curious

Does PTSD correlate with memory? When I was younger I was raped by a family member. Growing up I can only remember bits and fragments, nothing exact. I'm 16 and I was wondering what might help being my memory capacity up. I also have problems with staying on task, is there a cure for being easily distracted?
sometimes your memory can be part of PTSD not being able to recollect certain aspects of the trauma invovled. sometimes the memory is sucked back inside to remain dorment i think hypnosis can bring it back after a while do you have nightmares or flashbacks? how old were you when this happenend? do you relive the trauma in your mind?
I used to have flashbacks, I get nightmares from time to time. The rape happened when I was 7. I'm not  really sure what you mean by reliving the trauma, but I usually just try to forget. But I realize that it doesn't just get rid of the trauma, but other memories too. Now it's hard to remember most things from a month or two ago. You say hypnosis might work?
yes. sometimes
When I was 12 I was assaulted and raped at gunpoint, the whole thing was violent and traumatic. But my mind blocked it out. I had nightmares constantly, but I never remembered having them or what they were about. I knew something bad happened and I wasn't a virgin anymore but nothing about the incident. Over time I tried to make myself remember and bits and pieces came back but it wasn't everything. I knew some of it was still being shut away. When I tried to force it I got headaches and had nightmares even worse, still not able to remember. Over time I started recognizing the signs of a nightmare the next morning, I always felt the same way, I knew I'd had one. It even got to where I could somehow tell I would have a nightmare soon, and within two or three days, I did. A friend helped me learn to meditate and the wall came down. I remembered everything. I still don't know when I have them, but I know what happened. I don't know how to make them stop, I've only told two people everything. I told my family when I was younger, before I remembered everything but they don't know there's more to tell. And I am not about to change that.

I get resentful sometimes, my sister is a Junior in High school and was talking to me and our mom about virginity. I had to clamp my jaw shut to avoid answering. My sister knows nothing and that's how it'll stay. I can't talk about what happened, if I do, I talk about it in a disconnected third person way. Rape shows or movies trigger me, along with random things, such as reading about other's experiences.

It isn't easy to fight past PTSD, and even harder to remember what your mind obviously wanted you to forget.
I learned the hard way to not use hypnosis. I only used it once and what I saw scared the **** out of me so bad I never did it again. Also hypnosis can distort memories. It is best to allow the memories to surface naturally through journaling or art therapy or counseling. Sometimes one may have only a single memory of something and that is all they will ever get.

PTSD is helped through counseling.