Natural remedies
Hello. I'm 23 and I have PTSD. I use to take cymbalta which worked well for me but my insurance no longer covers it, which means it's over $1,000. Obviously being a full time student I cannot afford this. Does anyone know of anything natural I can take daily that will help? I have nightmares every night and keep my poor boyfriend up. And I'm getting worried that I may be developing sleep walking behavior. I don't want to feel out of it, and like I said I'm low on funds.
i do not know of any natural remedy; usually doctors like giving out anti-depressants for PTSD i am sorry that you are not covered :)
There are a couple of over the counter mood enhancement pills meant for depression called SAM-E and St. johns wort. I have heard good things about them but I have never tried them myself. But even though they are over-the-counter, you might still want to ask your doctor about them to make sure you should be taking them. They are I think around 20$ for a month's worth from what I can remember.
Hi there,
There are many natural ways to help you cope with PTSD.
First and foremost remember that FEAR IS INSUBSTANTIAL. When fear is confronted, it disappears in a puff of smoke.
Taking long walks is very good. It is the "blue collar" form of EMDR therapy.
Scince you have insurance, I would suggest some EMDR and or DNMS therapy. Avoid Psychiatrists if you want to stay off meds.
There are herbal offerings to help you sleep such as chamomille teas. But you are having nitemares, so that is more of a waking up thing.
I used to write down my dreams. It takes a week or so to get to doing it. Just keep a notebook next to the bed with a pen. When you wake from a dream, sit up and write it down. (remember it is "just a dream" it is not real, and you can write things down and not be afraid of them) There are several things that are served by doing this.
When you write the dream down (usually dreams fade quickly and we don't remember them to figure out what is going on) you can look at them in the light of day, so to speak.
Also, writing them down, pays respect to the person inside you, that is trying to tell you something. You can say to her, "I wrote this down, I will read this in the morning, then we can work on this together". It is a way of giving yourself permission to let it go, and get some sleep, and deal with the issue having taken good care of your self.
You don't need a book or anything to interpret dreams. Dreams are really very literal. The most important thing to pay attention to in a dream is "what are you feeling in the dream".
I had a dream that I wrote down, where I was in an unfamiliar place that, in my dream, was where I lived. There were a hundred piles of dog poop all over the floor.
It puzzled me for some time, until I let it be as simple as "There is a lot of crap in my life".
The most important things for anyone in the world is to "take care of yourself first, so you can help take care of other people"... Do everything to your advantage... don't hurt anybody else.