PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
PTSD and panic attacks

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

PTSD and panic attacks

I keep having panic attacks based on PTSD for things that have happened over a year ago, I had one two days ago from a sexual assault two years ago. How can I get past these? I can't afford counseling, and these panic attacks are making it hard to function because they always precede a dissociative episode. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Its usually our thoughts that make us feel bad ..I read in the book 'Slowing down to the speed of Life ' by Richard Carlson these words that helped me a few years ago.'Its impossible to experience any negative feeling without first creating a negative  corresponding thought' 'The truth is ,our thinking will always create the realty we perceive ' I would panic in stores, it was always when I had been over thinking problems, so I started to distract myself , in the store I did not run out, I told myself this will pass, nothing is happening' I read the labels on the cans and stayed even feeling so bad .It became a routine I used all the time ..distraction I also started to read up on visualization and that helped me .I have been panic free for as long as I have been on Med Help as that's another thing I did, I came here to help others ..4 years ago .
you should see a doctor soon they can prescribe something for you and pay it back eventually :)