PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
PTSD and pregnancy

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

PTSD and pregnancy

I was wondering if there are any other women on here who have PTSD who have been pregnant. I'm conserned if this could affect my emotional stability after I have my baby.. I'm 12 weeks and have already had 4 complete breakdowns. I'm just worried how this is gonna affect me after birth and could defiantly use some advice.
Yes, I did it. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I deployed to Iraq twice as a combat medic and I have extremely severe PTSD and TBI. I got medically retired from the Army because of it. I had to stop taking ALL my medication except the occasional narcotics when my migraines would get that bad. But the thing that got me through it was a lot of time spent in the pool, a lot of time spent reading in the baby's room, thinking about the life I was creating and how I had to fight to give him/her a chance, and chamomile tea at bedtime. I have an amazing 19 month old daughter, and she is worth every fight I had with my husband, and every long walk I had to take when I wanted to end my life right after she was born (I had awful post-partum) she is the single best thing in my life, and after you have the baby you can start taking medication to help with PTSD again, just be very careful, the things that worked for me pre-pregnancy made me worse after because of hormone changes. Once you get a little further along and you can start to really feel movement it gets easier. You'll be having one of those breakdown moments and all of a sudden you'll have a foot in your ribs and you'll remember what the torture is all about.