PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Physical Agitation from Traumatic Event?

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Hello everyone. I am posting because several months ago I experienced a very traumatic event which pushed my body and mind far passed it's limit as far as the amount of stress I could handle. Ever since then I feel like my body has stored an incomprehensible amount of stress because I never really expressed my emotions to anyone following the incident. My sister told me I sometimes yell in my sleep. Sometimes I would wake up feeling extremely enraged. Other times I wake up crying. Exercise isn't enough to relieve the stress. Running as fast as I can on a treadmill feels good for only so long...but then it feels like I can't run fast enough to alleviate the stress. I can't cry hard or long enough to relieve the emotional trauma. Meditation doesn't help because the agitation is chronic. This all happened only after this incident.

I've been checked out by numerous doctors and was in denial for awhile that this intense physical stress and agitation could be from stress and anxiety alone. I've only recently accepted the fact that this probably is the result of my body and mind enduring stress it wasn't meant to endure. The only abnormality was my elevated cortisol levels which I am taking supplements for to lower.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this terrible, physical agitation. I do feel better after a good cry or a good scream, but it's the only thing that alleviates this inner monster. It's very draining.

Thank you. =]
i believe that you are suffering from PTSD, i recognize the symptoms: nightmares,rage and for me flashbacks apathy let me tell you that you are not alone i abused alcohol& drugs for many years until i embraced recovery PTSD doesn't go away please seek treatment like counseling, group therapy and possibly meds
drifter is correct it does sound like PTSD some counseling will help you.
I too was in denial about PTSD and the effects on my life.  Below is from the Website ADAA about PTSD...

The disorder is characterized by three main types of symptoms:
•Re-experiencing the trauma through intrusive distressing recollections of the event, flashbacks, and nightmares.
•Emotional numbness and avoidance of places, people, and activities that are reminders of the trauma.
•Increased arousal such as difficulty sleeping and concentrating, feeling jumpy, and being easily irritated and angered.

Counseling and medication may help, good luck to you

M